Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

4 hours ago, VanS said:

Absolutely insane.  Cam Newton (who people want to run out of Carolina) has accomplished more than him in half the time.  I wonder how many people would say Cam Newton is a first ballot Hall of Famer if he retired today?

This is one of those "Josh Dobbs will be the best QB from his class" type of posts..............

..........right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjV2kd3wRJo

What are you people talking about?  Multiple passes in this clip show him making throws from the opposite 40 yard line to the end zone basically on the other end, sure some are small passes taken the distance on YAC but most are rocket shots.  Does not have a strong arm, what a much of horse s! 

Brady has greatly improved his arm strength since he has been in the NFL as a rookie and people forget, sure he might not look great now, he is Fing 42 years old so I sure hope he cannot throw it like he did 10 years ago...  Does the guy have the best arm in the NFL right now?  Of course not, but he has a rocket and throws the ball with great accuracy and velocity.  He was throwing bombs left and right when he played with Randy Moss.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

No he doesn't. He never did. He's always had a good, not great arm and makes up for it with accuracy and the best intangibles ever seen. This is literally the worst kept secret in the NFL. 

The only way he has an "elite" arm is by saying "for a QB his age", which is still questionable as Favre and Brees both mich have better arms, or by comparison to Danny Etling who could get out-thrown by a junior high school long snapper. 

I consider an "elite" arm to be top 10 in the league.  Brady has definitely had a top 10 arm for most of his career.   He's not all-time great like Favre.  But he's been top 10.

can someone sell me on tua? i find him absolutely impossible to evaluate. the guy goes entire games without having to make a single throw into an nfl-sized window. it's crazy. what am i even supposed to be paying attention to when he's just tossing wide open slants and bombs all day?

32 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

can someone sell me on tua? i find him absolutely impossible to evaluate. the guy goes entire games without having to make a single throw into an nfl-sized window. it's crazy. what am i even supposed to be paying attention to when he's just tossing wide open slants and bombs all day?

The fact he is that great and accurate on slant passes is a bad thing?  Sure it is easier for him on Bama than if he was on say Oregon State but yeah right he would not bring that Oregon State team to new heights with his arm talent, leadership, character and just general QB playing ability.  He can run, he is left handed, he is accurate and he makes the game seem pretty easy more often than not.  He is calm under pressure, comes from a great family, has super high football and personal character.  There is not much to dislike about him outside of the fact he plays with other great players.  Yeah so does Trevor Lawrence.  Maybe that makes Tua look better than he is but considering what is out there he is as good as any QB obviously in the 2020 draft.  He has nice touch, strong arm, accurate deep ball and he is mobile, can run for yardage or run to extend plays. Sure has a little injury history but has looked pretty good this year health wise, he has totally transformed that Bama offense and helped make Jeudy, Ruggs and Smith into absolutely super stars who are almost unstoppable on the field.  

If a team is looking for a QB why not pick him?  Think Deshaun Watson, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold did not play with great players in college as well?  Not many guys come into the league like Josh Allen on Wyoming who had little to nothing to work with.  

Tua to me is a much better NFL prospect than Marcus Mariota was.  I thought Mariota was mostly just an athlete who could run and was arguably at his best running not passing.  Tua is at his best passing no question about it and is very natural at it.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The fact he is that great and accurate on slant passes is a bad thing?  Sure it is easier for him on Bama than if he was on say Oregon State but yeah right he would not bring that Oregon State team to new heights with his arm talent, leadership, character and just general QB playing ability.  He can run, he is left handed, he is accurate and he makes the game seem pretty easy more often than not.  He is calm under pressure, comes from a great family, has super high football and personal character.  There is not much to dislike about him outside of the fact he plays with other great players.  Yeah so does Trevor Lawrence.  Maybe that makes Tua look better than he is but considering what is out there he is as good as any QB obviously in the 2020 draft.  He has nice touch, strong arm, accurate deep ball and he is mobile, can run for yardage or run to extend plays. Sure has a little injury history but has looked pretty good this year health wise, he has totally transformed that Bama offense and helped make Jeudy, Ruggs and Smith into absolutely super stars who are almost unstoppable on the field.  

If a team is looking for a QB why not pick him?  Think Deshaun Watson, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold did not play with great players in college as well?  Not many guys come into the league like Josh Allen on Wyoming who had little to nothing to work with.  

Tua to me is a much better NFL prospect than Marcus Mariota was.  I thought Mariota was mostly just an athlete who could run and was arguably at his best running not passing.  Tua is at his best passing no question about it and is very natural at it.  

you’re reading way too far into my question. i’m not saying he’s incapable of any of these things, that he’s a weaker prospect, etc etc. i’m saying it’s just been hard to tell to a degree that i feel like i haven’t seen with a lot of other QBs. it was easy enough to find clips of the other QBs you mentioned fitting passes into tight windows and after a few games of tua i just...haven’t seen it happen, not because he can’t but because he straight up hasn’t needed to at all. this could all be coincidental- i haven’t seen a ton of him and if there’s a game or two you can think of with better examples then i’d love to see it. but those are my first impressions

21 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

you’re reading way too far into my question. i’m not saying he’s incapable of any of these things, that he’s a weaker prospect, etc etc. i’m saying it’s just been hard to tell to a degree that i feel like i haven’t seen with a lot of other QBs. it was easy enough to find clips of the other QBs you mentioned fitting passes into tight windows and after a few games of tua i just...haven’t seen it happen, not because he can’t but because he straight up hasn’t needed to at all. this could all be coincidental- i haven’t seen a ton of him and if there’s a game or two you can think of with better examples then i’d love to see it. but those are my first impressions

Haven't seen a ton of him?  How is that possible?  He was a super star all last year and as a freshman lead his team to the national title game victory.  Tight window throws, that National title game against Georgia would be one.  

Sure the last title game he played against Clemson was his worst game of his career but cannot judge him on that.  And honestly take that game out, if you look at the title game as a freshman off the bench, all of 2017 outside of the Clemson game and all season so far this year he has been great.  Only time last year he struggled was because of the injury issues around the SEC title game last year and a little before that.  

Yeah it is not great that most of the games he did not play in the 4th quarter, especially last season.  This year they are more leaning towards keeping him in the 4th even with a big lead.  Sure he will play some more tight games especially in the Playoff this year which will show a lot.  LSU and Auburn will be hard games, and the SEC title game maybe then the Playoff possibly with the likes of Ohio State, Clemson or Notre Dame etc.  

Just now, Oregon Ducks said:

Lmao at Mariota a running Qb

He only had 700 plus yards every season in college, 2200+ yards total and 29 total TDs.  How about LMAO on thinking he was going to be a great NFL QB, which I am sure you did.  The threat of him running opened everything up especially in that zone read offense.  Take that run threat out and his game changes totally and his arm is not that great and he is not a very good passer and that has been shown in the NFL.  Doubt the Titans pick his contract up and will most likely be looking for another QB to lead that franchise after this year.  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjV2kd3wRJo

What are you people talking about?  Multiple passes in this clip show him making throws from the opposite 40 yard line to the end zone basically on the other end, sure some are small passes taken the distance on YAC but most are rocket shots.  Does not have a strong arm, what a much of horse s! 

Brady has greatly improved his arm strength since he has been in the NFL as a rookie and people forget, sure he might not look great now, he is Fing 42 years old so I sure hope he cannot throw it like he did 10 years ago...  Does the guy have the best arm in the NFL right now?  Of course not, but he has a rocket and throws the ball with great accuracy and velocity.  He was throwing bombs left and right when he played with Randy Moss.  

The argument was that he did not have an elite arm, which he doesn't. He has a good arm that is bolster by excellent anticipation and touch. The video pretty much shows it. It's not about distance but about the velocity of the throws. Rivers pretty much does the same thing. If you want to see actual cannons look at guys like Josh Allen (who has problems hitting anything), Stafford, Wentz etc.

it doesn't take anything away from Brady. Just that you can be a great QB without a cannon.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:49 PM, Bullet Club said:

Much better class than 2019 imo at least at the top. I'd take Tua and Herbert over anyone in the 19 class comfortably. I'm not big on Fromm but it seems he's developed some and gained supporters recently. Eason has all the potential in the world. If he kills he could go #1 or he could completely fall off the map and be a midround guy.

Wut? 

Kyler is easily better than either. 

23 minutes ago, Xenos said:

The argument was that he did not have an elite arm, which he doesn't. He has a good arm that is bolster by excellent anticipation and touch. The video pretty much shows it. It's not about distance but about the velocity of the throws. Rivers pretty much does the same thing. If you want to see actual cannons look at guys like Josh Allen (who has problems hitting anything), Stafford, Wentz etc.

it doesn't take anything away from Brady. Just that you can be a great QB without a cannon.

Like I don't know who Josh Allen is?  Please, oh by the way he is 23 Brady is 42, Allen clearly has the better arm but in terms of power on the move but if you look in the pocket Brady is damn good and it is pretty obvious.  I doubt you even saw Stafford play in college much less Jay Culter or Michael Vick for that matter.  

I never said Brady has the best arm across the board, but to say he does not have a great throwing arm is pathetic.  Sure Peyton Manning had a weaker and weaker arm the longer he was in the league.  It still was top of the line if you look at what he was in college and early on his his career.  Similar to Brady in the fact of great accuracy, fundamentals and touch on the deep ball.  Sure Jamarcus Russell could throw the ball what 70 yards on his knees or whatever, no one cares, one because he sucks and two because it never translated over to the field in real games.

Yeah and Johnny Football made some great throws also, but again it was in a situation that did not matter so who cares.  

kylefield-dudeperfect2.gif

3 hours ago, VanS said:

I consider an "elite" arm to be top 10 in the league.  Brady has definitely had a top 10 arm for most of his career.   He's not all-time great like Favre.  But he's been top 10.

You consider almost 1/3 of the starting QBs in the league to have "elite" arms? 

A top 33.3% isn't an elite percentile by any metric.

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Like I don't know who Josh Allen is?  Please, oh by the way he is 23 Brady is 42, Allen clearly has the better arm but in terms of power on the move but if you look in the pocket Brady is damn good and it is pretty obvious.  I doubt you even saw Stafford play in college much less Jay Culter or Michael Vick for that matter.  

I never said Brady has the best arm across the board, but to say he does not have a great throwing arm is pathetic.  Sure Peyton Manning had a weaker and weaker arm the longer he was in the league.  It still was top of the line if you look at what he was in college and early on his his career.  Similar to Brady in the fact of great accuracy, fundamentals and touch on the deep ball.  Sure Jamarcus Russell could throw the ball what 70 yards on his knees or whatever, no one cares, one because he sucks and two because it never translated over to the field in real games.

Yeah and Johnny Football made some great throws also, but again it was in a situation that did not matter so who cares.  

kylefield-dudeperfect2.gif

I'm not sure who you're arguing with since you essentially agree with what I said to VanS

Edited by Xenos