Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

8 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Jordan Love.

Dang right, anyone that does not know who Jordan Love is, well they were simply not paying attention last year.  Kid can ball and has a great arm, very natural passer.  I think he should be a 1st round pick unless his play really drops off which I do not expect to happen even with a different coaching staff.

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Dang right, anyone that does not know who Jordan Love is, well they were simply not paying attention last year.  Kid can ball and has a great arm, very natural passer.  I think he should be a 1st round pick unless his play really drops off which I do not expect to happen even with a different coaching staff.

The question is he going to get enough exposure?  Since 2005, there have been 43 QBs taken in the first round (on average 2.8 QBs taken per draft in the first round).  Of those 43, only 5 of them (6 if you include Alex Smith) played in non-Power 5 Conferences (plus Notre Dame).  That's ~11.6% or 13.9% of the QBs taken in the first round to come out of a non-P5 conference.  That's not really good odds.  He's got a chance, but he needs a strong year to put himself in that position since right now he's at best QB3 behind Tua and Herbert.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The question is he going to get enough exposure?  Since 2005, there have been 43 QBs taken in the first round (on average 2.8 QBs taken per draft in the first round).  Of those 43, only 5 of them (6 if you include Alex Smith) played in non-Power 5 Conferences (plus Notre Dame).  That's ~11.6% or 13.9% of the QBs taken in the first round to come out of a non-P5 conference.  That's not really good odds.  He's got a chance, but he needs a strong year to put himself in that position since right now he's at best QB3 behind Tua and Herbert.

Exposure? Josh Allen was taken in the top 10 and was getting run as the #1 pick for a while.

If you’re good, you’re gonna get found. An OT from Central Michigan went #1 overall a few seasons ago. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure that is true, like BleedTheClock said Josh Allen, also have Carson Wentz high 1st rounder then Paxton Lynch, Blake Bortles, JP Losman, Patrick Ramsey, Chad Pennington etc and 2nd rounds Kevin Kolb, Derek Carr, Tarvaris Jackson etc.

The kid can play and I would say is easily the 3rd best QB in the up coming draft.  I would take him over Fromm all day long, but really does not matter if he drops to the 2nd and a team gets a steal that way either.  Even with the coordinator change not sure his play will drop that much at all, he can sling it.

On 6/5/2019 at 8:44 AM, BleedTheClock said:

McCarron and Fromm are not alike other than they had great supporting casts in college. 

Honestly, I don't get the Fromm love. I've seen a bit of the kid, and he never struck me as a top pick. Seems like the sort of guy that fans rank higher than scouts. When I've watched him, I've seen an unspectacular game manager type. Maybe he changes my mind when I watch him in isolation.

On 6/5/2019 at 7:11 PM, Activated10 said:

Justin Herbert is overrated. Dude had a down year in his sophomore season. He should of went to the draft while he had the chance. Hopefully for him it turns out more like Luck and Mariota than it does Matt Barkley. 

Barkley was never a #1 overall caliber player. He had mediocre physical tools. People simply got duped his production, pedigree, and visibility.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Honestly, I don't get the Fromm love. I've seen a bit of the kid, and he never struck me as a top pick. Seems like the sort of guy that fans rank higher than scouts. When I've watched him, I've seen an unspectacular game manager type. Maybe he changes my mind when I watch him in isolation.

Barkley was never a #1 overall caliber player. He had mediocre physical tools. People simply got duped his production, pedigree, and visibility.

I agree with Fromm, I mean that OL played great and if they keep it up they will be easily the best OL in the nation with potentially the #1 pick in the draft with Andrew Thomas.  I mean how hard would it be to play QB for Georgia, just hand it off to these 3-4 different talented RBs  and play a little PG and put the ball in the hands of the playmakers around you.  Got to love his ability to spread the ball around, manage the game, control tempo etc but his physical tools are lacking.  His arm is nothing impressive, but did beat out Eason and Fields which does say something about him in the QB room and as a leader and manager of the team.  If he would say go on the Saints late 1st or 2nd round he could do great, if he would be some savior type on a bad team with a bad OL in the NFL, probably would fail big time.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2019 at 11:12 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Let me guess...

Right now: This is a strong QB class. Even better than last years!

6 months from now: This is a notably weak QB class. I don't think any of them are better than the prospects from last season.

Am I doing it right?

Pretty much the only class that was universally hated was the 2017 class. You know, the one with three Pro Bowlers and the league MVP...

• Like 2

On 02/09/2019 at 6:20 AM, Ozzy said:

I agree with Fromm, I mean that OL played great and if they keep it up they will be easily the best OL in the nation with potentially the #1 pick in the draft with Andrew Thomas.  I mean how hard would it be to play QB for Georgia, just hand it off to these 3-4 different talented RBs  and play a little PG and put the ball in the hands of the playmakers around you.  Got to love his ability to spread the ball around, manage the game, control tempo etc but his physical tools are lacking.  His arm is nothing impressive, but did beat out Eason and Fields which does say something about him in the QB room and as a leader and manager of the team.  If he would say go on the Saints late 1st or 2nd round he could do great, if he would be some savior type on a bad team with a bad OL in the NFL, probably would fail big time.

Yeah.  There are things to like with Fromm, but he doesn't really "shine".  He just...does his job.  Makes it hard to see a real top pick there, but who knows.  Honestly, i think Eason is probably the Georgia QB with the real "top pick" upside.

16 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  There are things to like with Fromm, but he doesn't really "shine".  He just...does his job.  Makes it hard to see a real top pick there, but who knows.  Honestly, i think Eason is probably the Georgia QB with the real "top pick" upside.

No question Eason has the better arm talent, I thought that from day one but Fromm did still beat him out.  Fromm could easily be successful in the NFL similar to a Kirk Cousins coming out of Michigan State, does his job, manages the game and leads the team.  Mind you Fromm is surrounded by more talent arguably and will be a higher pick than Cousins but as prospects I would take Fromm over Cousins comparing both in college.  Not many knew Cousins would develop into the player he is now but still I do not believe Cousins is a top 5 QB or even top 10 for that matter.

Regardless Fromm is a solid player, teammate and leader.  Lacks wow potential in terms of arm talent no question, but if put on an organization that is stable with a lot around him he could become a fine pro potentially.  If some team drafts him top 5 in the draft, that could be a problem, I think more round 2 on him would be fine, late 1st round at best.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 12:12 PM, SteelKing728 said:

Let me guess...

Right now: This is a strong QB class. Even better than last years!

6 months from now: This is a notably weak QB class. I don't think any of them are better than the prospects from last season.

Am I doing it right?

I am fairly confident that this is a better QB class than last year. Though I think Herbert's stock is certainly dropping right now. He's seeming more and more like a game manager.

• Like 1