Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

16 minutes ago, Counselor said:

What is good about Jordan Love?

He has good pocket awareness and fundamentals.  Great release, is an accurate passer who is athletic in the pocket and can create with his legs.  Has youth on his side, would have been really interesting if he transferred this up coming season but that is out the window since he has declared.

Last year was much more productive but was around a lot more talent and under a different system obviously, Jalen Greene WR, Dax Raymond TE, Ron'quavion Tarver WR and Darwin Thompson at RB.  A few of those guys are currently in the NFL or at least had a shot at it and out of the current Utah State roster I doubt any of those offensive weapons will get at shot at the NFL.

Granted Love has not played like a 1st round pick this year but potential is there with him and he has the upside.  Love has that type of arm talent and upside to be very interesting, if around better talent this year he would of had a much better season.  He is pretty solid at the 5th or 6th best QB in the up coming draft, I would take him all day long over Jalen Hurts or Jake Fromm.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

If Jordan Love does not declare,  does anyone think he transfers?  Could help his stock a lot if he can go somewhere with better talent and coaching.  I think he declares however

I would love to see him transfer and develop his skills further. He is someone I'll be watching closely as he could be wearing purple in the NFL.

Ohh it sounds like he already has declared! Dang it.

Edited by vikes635

1 hour ago, vikes635 said:

Not gonna lie, this clip will be having me take a closer look at him. Currently I have him at QB4 with a 2nd rnd grade.

The kids legit.  I didn't subscribe to the belief that Tua was some no-miss prospect, but Burrow has looked significantly better than Tua did this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vikes635 said:

Not gonna lie, this clip will be having me take a closer look at him. Currently I have him at QB4 with a 2nd rnd grade.

Spectacular play but 1 minute and some before halftime, versus Georgia, less spectacular but showing is pro potential : look to the right. No. Look to the left. No. Still cool in the pocket and zip to the RB : 1st down. That guy ins't a one-read thrower, he can read D and delivers what the D gives. That play can't be the moment of his season but something to show scouts than his game can translate to the pros.

Edited by zappa13004
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The kids legit.  I didn't subscribe to the belief that Tua was some no-miss prospect, but Burrow has looked significantly better than Tua did this year.

Plays like this debunk the criticism that Burrow is carried by LSUs scheme. If anything, it's a two way street.

Now more than ever, the NFL is evolving into a league where mobility and making plays off-script is almost a prerequisite to be great. Joe has that ability.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Burrow has been amazing this season, no question about that.  But hard to not be better than Tua this year, especially late in the season when he basically cannot even walk.  That injury history is a huge deal though and will be come draft time.

Burrow has never went into a season where the expectation is basically win every game you play, throw 3-4 TDs a game and beat every team by 20 or more points per game.  Those are the expectations Tua has had especially as a SOPH and now as a JR.  Will see how Burrow lives up to those expectations later on this season and onto the NFL, because they will be crazy high.  

Just look at Dwayne Haskins this year at the next level, to some he could not do anything wrong in college last year.  Tons of people liked him and thought he was such a pure natural passer, well does not look quite like that when he is on a team that does not even have as good of receivers as he did in college much less a decent passing game system either.  Has looked more than average and that could happen with Burrow or any QB really put in the wrong situation.  Burrow is more athletic and arguably more prepared for the NFL than Haskins so he does have that going. But that bad situation could be the Bengals with a bad OL, best receiver in AJ Green probably gone and a some what weak defensive unit and overall roster.

Is hard to find a QB in the last 10 years or so playing as well as Burrow has this season, without a down year because of the situation and coming on late in his career.  There is no recent period of being slightly down like most QBs have had after a great FR or SOPH season.  Just look at Baker and the expectations put on him after a good rookie year though, hard to live up to those especially as a QB.  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Burrow has been amazing this season, no question about that.  But hard to not be better than Tua this year, especially late in the season when he basically cannot even walk.  That injury history is a huge deal though and will be come draft time.

Burrow has never went into a season where the expectation is basically win every game you play, throw 3-4 TDs a game and beat every team by 20 or more points per game.  Those are the expectations Tua has had especially as a SOPH and now as a JR.  Will see how Burrow lives up to those expectations later on this season and onto the NFL, because they will be crazy high.  

Just look at Dwayne Haskins this year at the next level, to some he could not do anything wrong in college last year.  Tons of people liked him and thought he was such a pure natural passer, well does not look quite like that when he is on a team that does not even have as good of receivers as he did in college much less a decent passing game system either.  Has looked more than average and that could happen with Burrow or any QB really put in the wrong situation.  Burrow is more athletic and arguably more prepared for the NFL than Haskins so he does have that going. But that bad situation could be the Bengals with a bad OL, best receiver in AJ Green probably gone and a some what weak defensive unit and overall roster.

Is hard to find a QB in the last 10 years or so playing as well as Burrow has this season, without a down year because of the situation and coming on late in his career.  There is no recent period of being slightly down like most QBs have had after a great FR or SO

PH season.  Just look at Baker and the expectations put on him after a good rookie year though, hard to live up to those especially as a QB.  

I agree with the majority of what you said except a few things:

- I think Day prepared him as well as he could be prepared, I think Washington didn't do him any favors in terms of cultivating what he had at tOSU, I don't think Haskins wouldn't be nearly as bad if he had Day or someone who specializes in his style of play. Stop fitting square pegs into round holes (Speaking in general)

- That OC working with Burrow is doing a PHENOMINAL job working with him, If whoever drafts is smart, they need to bring him in and keep the system he runs intact.

- Conversely, look at Lamar Jackson and what he has done when he has an OC who has an open mind and fully empowers his QB, he far exceeded what people thought, including me. I guess my point is, OC/Leadership of the offense is everything, look at my Browns, they literally have pretty much the best at every skill position and is struggling to do basic things.

15 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I agree with the majority of what you said except a few things:

- I think Day prepared him as well as he could be prepared, I think Washington didn't do him any favors in terms of cultivating what he had at tOSU, I don't think Haskins wouldn't be nearly as bad if he had Day or someone who specializes in his style of play. Stop fitting square pegs into round holes (Speaking in general)

- That OC working with Burrow is doing a PHENOMINAL job working with him, If whoever drafts is smart, they need to bring him in and keep the system he runs intact.

- Conversely, look at Lamar Jackson and what he has done when he has an OC who has an open mind and fully empowers his QB, he far exceeded what people thought, including me. I guess my point is, OC/Leadership of the offense is everything, look at my Browns, they literally have pretty much the best at every skill position and is struggling to do basic things.

Yeah I would not be surprised to see Ryan Day in the NFL next season, there are not a ton of quality HC candidates out there but potentially going to be more than a few openings and with his offensive track record a team will take him no doubt this year or next.  Hell I would not be surprised to see Washington take a run at him for HC.

Yeah will be curious to see how much of it is Burrow and how much of it is Joe Brady and that system.   Burrow has even said with his grad school classes which apparently does not take much time, so he can focus big time on football compared to other athletes who cannot focus as much as he can taking less course work.  That alone makes him more prepared and you throw an passing game coordinator with a NFL background yeah it was destined to succeed this year.  Joe Brady is another I see him long gone to somewhere else, either back to the NFL or a HC someone in college possibly even.  

And yeah Freddie Kitchen is awful and should be long gone by the end of the year.  Odd they kept him just because Baker liked him but guess they did not want to rock the boat based on how he was as a rookie.

Lamar Jackson has exceeded expectations no doubt, but also plays in an era where teams focused more on pass D and tons of NFL teams have switched back to running the football more because honestly LB play is pretty down and guys are simply not as big as they used at LB or on the edges, because of fear of getting beat in coverage and being too slow, so running the ball is a lot easier than it has been in the NFL before.  Heck when is the last time a NFL team averaged 200+ yards rushing a game which the Ravens are currently?  Has not happened in the past 15 years and sure it goes well beyond that.  Fun to watch and when Jackson simply goes to the edge off a play fake, even if it is short yardage, no way any defender is catching him with his speed.  

• Like 2