Jump to content
CalhounLambeau

Official 2020 QB Thread

Recommended Posts

I've been looking at mock drafts the past week and a lot of people seem to think Joe Burrow should go #1 overall?  His numbers look outstanding.  I looked more into him because I had never even heard of him before in terms of being an elite prospect from seasons past.  Apparently he had like a 5th or 6th round grade on him last year, from what I heard from an 'expert'.  Is anyone kind of concern that he went from late round draft pick to #1 overall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, showtime said:

I've been looking at mock drafts the past week and a lot of people seem to think Joe Burrow should go #1 overall?  His numbers look outstanding.  I looked more into him because I had never even heard of him before in terms of being an elite prospect from seasons past.  Apparently he had like a 5th or 6th round grade on him last year, from what I heard from an 'expert'.  Is anyone kind of concern that he went from late round draft pick to #1 overall?

There’s a whole thread on this. If this isn’t sarcasm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, showtime said:

I've been looking at mock drafts the past week and a lot of people seem to think Joe Burrow should go #1 overall?  His numbers look outstanding.  I looked more into him because I had never even heard of him before in terms of being an elite prospect from seasons past.  Apparently he had like a 5th or 6th round grade on him last year, from what I heard from an 'expert'.  Is anyone kind of concern that he went from late round draft pick to #1 overall?

Best comparison I can make for Joe Burrow is Chad Pennington with a good enough arm. (It's not great, but it's not a limitation like it was with Pennington)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Counselor said:

There’s a whole thread on this. If this isn’t sarcasm 

Didn't know there was a thread on this and why would this be sarcasm?  I rarely post in here.  I mostly just read at various times.  I was watching some mock draft show with Kiper and McShay on YouTube.  McShay said he was like a 5th or 6th round pick last year and now is the #1 overall pick.  I went and looked at some other sites and saw that Burrow was pretty much the consensus #1 overall pick right now.  It's just a massive jump in a short period of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Danger said:

Best comparison I can make for Joe Burrow is Chad Pennington with a good enough arm. (It's not great, but it's not a limitation like it was with Pennington)

He's more mobile than Chad. I think the Romo comparison was a good one.

17 minutes ago, showtime said:

Didn't know there was a thread on this and why would this be sarcasm?  I rarely post in here.  I mostly just read at various times.  I was watching some mock draft show with Kiper and McShay on YouTube.  McShay said he was like a 5th or 6th round pick last year and now is the #1 overall pick.  I went and looked at some other sites and saw that Burrow was pretty much the consensus #1 overall pick right now.  It's just a massive jump in a short period of time.

It would be sarcasm because Van made a whole big deal of it that culminated in a large thread. I'm sure Counselor thought you might be mocking that:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, showtime said:

I've been looking at mock drafts the past week and a lot of people seem to think Joe Burrow should go #1 overall?  His numbers look outstanding.  I looked more into him because I had never even heard of him before in terms of being an elite prospect from seasons past.  Apparently he had like a 5th or 6th round grade on him last year, from what I heard from an 'expert'.  Is anyone kind of concern that he went from late round draft pick to #1 overall?

Normally, I'd be hesitant on him. But he hardly played for Ohio St (can't knock it as he was surrounded by future NFL Qbs) and LSU prior to this season was never known for amazing QB play. Last year, they were breaking in a new system. 

This year, it all seemed to pay off. He got used to his WRs, had a season in the system, and genuinely looked like he had put in the time to improve and progress. If anything, kid showed enough improvement (and by enough I mean vast) to warrant being considered "the next big thing". 

Personally, I'm skeptical of 1-hit wonder QBs because they often scream system product to me, and I can't say I'd drop a proven NFL QB for him. But I wouldn't judge or second guess a team wanting to build around him from the ground up. He's undeniably talented, but I don't think there's a complete picture on him just yet. 

To answer your question, I have some concerns about him for those specific reasons. Some people aren't bothered by it. I'm not surprised that he's essentially a lock for #1 overall, but I definitely question how much of that is due to the moment and ridiculously hot season he had. That being said, I think he would've risen up into 2nd/3rd round contention with just a really good season anyway as he's got the size, speed, and arm strength teams will look for, and he'll undoubtedly interview really well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MD4L said:

I like Nathan Stanley.

Be weary of the fools gold. I like Nate, he's a good dude, and he did win some ball games. Has all the intangibles scouts drool over but super inconsistent and is terrible if pressured. He's a nice value pick in the later mid rounds for his upside but there are about 4-5 franchises that might be able mold him into a decent NFL starter and I'm not certain it would happen

Edited by Hawkeyejam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MD4L said:

I like Nathan Stanley.

I like Tyler Huntley. Seems like the sort of Day 3 pick who will develop into a really good backup QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Well...looks like Tua staying.

Insanely dumb move if his injuries aren't so severe to basically destroy his stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Insanely dumb move if his injuries aren't so severe to basically destroy his stock.

Dude is still QB2 injuries or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Danger said:

Dude is still QB2 injuries or not.

He'd likely go top 10 for sure.

It's definitely odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×