Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 9/4/2019 at 4:23 PM, Danger said:

Right now a rough guess would be:

Tua: Top 5
Herbert: Mid First Round
Fromm: Late First Round
Eason and Love are the real wildcards and have major volatility in their draft status. 

QB value is going to drive up those guys.  You're a bit off IMO.  Tua is a top-2 pick right now, Herbert probably comes in that 2-8 range, and Fromm probably goes in that 11-18 range.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Who would be your recommendation be, for a draftable QB (any round) who can actually read the whole field ?

Fromm.

Tua is pretty good at it as well. Most scrambling QB's lock onto a target and run when things break down around them, but Tua keeps his eyes down the field looking to make a play. He's going to be good. Better than I gave him credit for.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2019 at 8:27 AM, Ozzy said:

No question Eason has the better arm talent, I thought that from day one but Fromm did still beat him out.  Fromm could easily be successful in the NFL similar to a Kirk Cousins coming out of Michigan State, does his job, manages the game and leads the team.  Mind you Fromm is surrounded by more talent arguably and will be a higher pick than Cousins but as prospects I would take Fromm over Cousins comparing both in college.  Not many knew Cousins would develop into the player he is now but still I do not believe Cousins is a top 5 QB or even top 10 for that matter.

Regardless Fromm is a solid player, teammate and leader.  Lacks wow potential in terms of arm talent no question, but if put on an organization that is stable with a lot around him he could become a fine pro potentially.  If some team drafts him top 5 in the draft, that could be a problem, I think more round 2 on him would be fine, late 1st round at best.

I guess it depends on the teams making those picks too.  I don't think every team would've had a relatively mediocre-armed Daniel Jones Top-5/6.  Fromm doesn't have quite the same "scrambling" upside or height, but the arm talent seems kinda similar, though with a cleaner motion on Fromm.  So teams that prioritize Fromm's strengths, i could see them spending a Top-10 pick on him i suppose.  He's really good at what he does.  I just think teams are generally more inclined to wager their top-5/10 type picks on the big upside of that potential "homerun".  Kind of rightfully so, as it's not always great to get stuck hovering around that "Dalton line" purgatory with a QB who is good enough to keep because the replacement is probably worse...but not good enough to really carry a team to a championship without an absolutely otherworldly supporting cast.

That's where i think Eason probably goes ahead of Fromm, despite being less polished and essentially losing out to him at Georgia.  The way the college game is...a team like Georgia can continually stockpile the superior talent to thrive with a guy who is just a really smart, steady, efficient game manager.  That's why a Fromm beats out an Eason there.  In the NFL though...there's so much talent parity that you kind of need that gamebreaker at QB, unless you've lucked into an absolutely insane team around them.  Eason's arm talent and potential kinda offers that "upside" more than Fromm.

Kinda the same reason Josh Allen goes ahead of Josh Rosen - though Fromm seems like a much less controversial "character" than the latter, and Eason is looking a lot more accurate than the former, and coming out of a decent conference where quality of competition/supporting cast isn't such a questionmark.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Fromm.

Tua is pretty good at it as well. Most scrambling QB's lock onto a target and run when things break down around them, but Tua keeps his eyes down the field looking to make a play. He's going to be good. Better than I gave him credit for.

I still kinda wonder if some of that with Tua has to do with the whole bizarre right-handed kid throwing lefty deal.  It's such a bizarre thing to me, but i wonder if it gives him a bit of a different perspective or look at the field while scrambling.  Like hockey, where so many of the greatest goal-scorers in the history of the game...end up being "off hand" shooters who play their off wing.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:15 AM, ClutchDJ said:

Joe Burrow against Texas is better than any Jake Fromm game in his career.

Burrow was good last year also but that Texas game was easily the best of his career in a hostile environment on the road.  Looked great and probably jumped up 8 spots or more in the QB rankings in the up coming draft if he keeps up this level of play.  I would say right now he is a top 7 QB in the up coming draft if he can keep this up.  Joe Brady is obviously a huge reason for that pass game success being the passing game coordinator.  He could maybe jump Fromm but needs to continue to have a great year, and not sure I would take Burrow over Ehlinger either but will see how it all plays out.  

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Burrow was good last year also but that Texas game was easily the best of his career in a hostile environment on the road.  Looked great and probably jumped up 8 spots or more in the QB rankings in the up coming draft if he keeps up this level of play.  I would say right now he is a top 7 QB in the up coming draft if he can keep this up.  Joe Brady is obviously a huge reason for that pass game success being the passing game coordinator.  He could maybe jump Fromm but needs to continue to have a great year, and not sure I would take Burrow over Ehlinger either but will see how it all plays out.  

Watch out for Hurts as well. I stand by my prediction he's going in the 1st round. 

2 hours ago, Activated10 said:

Watch out for Hurts as well. I stand by my prediction he's going in the 1st round. 

I doubt that.  Just the fact alone that not many teams in the NFL outside of 2-3 even will be in high need of a QB anyway.  And he is not better than Tua, Herbert, Love,  Eason, Fromm, Ehlinger or Burrow so he is out of the question no way 1st rounder I feel.  Would be lucky to have 4 QBs drafted in the 1st round and my guess it might end up being only 3.  

On 9/11/2019 at 3:41 PM, Tugboat said:

I still kinda wonder if some of that with Tua has to do with the whole bizarre right-handed kid throwing lefty deal.  It's such a bizarre thing to me, but i wonder if it gives him a bit of a different perspective or look at the field while scrambling.  Like hockey, where so many of the greatest goal-scorers in the history of the game...end up being "off hand" shooters who play their off wing.

I didn’t know that about Tua. I know It’s extremely prevalent in tennis. I do EVERYTHING right handed but was a D1 left handed tennis player. Rafael Nadal is right handed and plays lefty etc. 

I know that we all love to hate on Jalen Hurts as a QB prospect, but even I can't deny how great he's been so far. His throwing mechanics look much improved from his days as the featured starter at Alabama. The main issue I see is happy feet, but Baker Mayfield had a similar issue coming out. Can't deny the rave reviews by teammates and from a leadership perspective. Already knew he was crazy athletic and was an efficient passer at Alabama, but he's taken it to a new level (not that surprising in the Big 12) while also looking improved as a player.

Joe Burrow continues his climb.

Edited by HoboRocket

On 9/12/2019 at 6:08 PM, Ozzy said:

I doubt that.  Just the fact alone that not many teams in the NFL outside of 2-3 even will be in high need of a QB anyway.  And he is not better than Tua, Herbert, Love,  Eason, Fromm, Ehlinger or Burrow so he is out of the question no way 1st rounder I feel.  Would be lucky to have 4 QBs drafted in the 1st round and my guess it might end up being only 3.  

I'm def taking him over all those QBs you mentioned except for Tua. Eason is probably only other guy I consider. Hurts is much better passer in OU than he was at Alabama. He reads through his progressions at a quicker speed. 

12 minutes ago, Activated10 said:

I'm def taking him over all those QBs you mentioned except for Tua. Eason is probably only other guy I consider. Hurts is much better passer in OU than he was at Alabama. He reads through his progressions at a quicker speed. 

UCLA is an awful defense so ripping them apart is nothing special at all.  The game that will show a lot is the Texas one and the Iowa State one, those two are arguably the only good defensive teams they play all season long in the regular season.  Hurts is a great kid but he is not a 1st round NFL prospect just because he plays in a pass happy college system.  Clearly college football no defense has really figured out how to stop these zone read/up tempo/RPO/slant route offenses.  Interesting note I never noticed, an announcer brought up that in college the OL can go 3 yards down field still be legal even if it is a pass play.  OL in the NFL it is only 1 yard.  So just on that alone, if the offensive line blocks like it is a run play going down field, everyone goes up to tackle, the QB fakes to the RB well enough, then pulls and just throws a simple slant then huge plays can happen all day long and basically does.

Clemson rips people apart, Alabama is, Ohio State is, LSU has gotten on board.  Only team that is not really doing a ton of that is Georgia but they have the best OL in the nation possibly and run it all over people so they do not have too.  They do it to some degree though but not as much.  So yeah it is a system that has not been figured out, does not mean they are an all world QB but will see.  

Obviously playing QB is getting easier and easier to do based on the offenses out there and the rules in place.  Is Hurts improved as a passer?  Yes, he was last year on Alabama and is even better this year on OU, but could argue if Tua was hurt all season and Hurts was the starter on Alabama this year he would be basically doing the same with because Alabama if not better because Alabama has better WRs from top to bottom.