Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If I'm the Dolphins (and I love Tua and his medicals check out) I'd be nervous about moving up to #3.  What if someone offers a haul for #2?  I'd secure my guy by first trading up to #3 then trading up to #2, which is similar to what the Eagles did to get Wentz.  It'd be cheaper than the asking price for #2, because the Redskins would ask for a lot to miss out on Young.  But if the Dolphins had #3, the Redskins wouldn't need much to trade back because they'd still be guaranteed Young.

Wishful thinking from a Redskins fan, I know.  I guess it all depends how much the Dolphins think other teams covet Tua.

That seems like a wet dream from the Redskins' perspective.  Getting a solid package to move down one slot, but also getting to get the guy you wanted all along.  But if you're going to use the Eagles' scenario, look at the deal they got to move up originally.  They gave up Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso, which most thought had negative value.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That seems like a wet dream from the Redskins' perspective.  Getting a solid package to move down one slot, but also getting to get the guy you wanted all along.  But if you're going to use the Eagles' scenario, look at the deal they got to move up originally.  They gave up Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso, which most thought had negative value.

It definitely would be.

Yeah, it's amazing that Miami was stupid enough to make that trade with Philly.  That'd be like us trading away Josh Norman and Jordan Reed last year to get into the top 10.  

Anyway, the Dolphins definitely have enough draft ammo to not need to trade away any players to get from #5 to #3 to #2.

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It definitely would be.

Yeah, it's amazing that Miami was stupid enough to make that trade with Philly.  That'd be like us trading away Josh Norman and Jordan Reed last year to get into the top 10.  

Anyway, the Dolphins definitely have enough draft ammo to not need to trade away any players to get from #5 to #3 to #2.

But again, I pose the question does Miami NEED Tua?  Because where I'm sitting at, I don't think they do.  Right now, they've got 3 picks in the top 32, and 6 in the top 70.  And that's for this year alone, they've also Texans' FRP AND SRP next year as well as part of the Laremy Tunsil.  They have the opportunity to put some really strong pieces in place and then go into 2021 where they could grab Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence.

EDIT: I only see Miami being interested in a move up if the deal is something similar to what the Bears dealt to select Mitch Trubisky.  Something like a 3rd round pick this year and a 3rd next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

But again, I pose the question does Miami NEED Tua?  Because where I'm sitting at, I don't think they do.  Right now, they've got 3 picks in the top 32, and 6 in the top 70.  And that's for this year alone, they've also Texans' FRP AND SRP next year as well as part of the Laremy Tunsil.  They have the opportunity to put some really strong pieces in place and then go into 2021 where they could grab Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence.

I don't think they NEED him.  But that's reportedly who ownership and the FO have had their eye on for over two years now.  It's a big risk thinking you can just wait on Lawrence or Fields.  Look what happened this year.  Right before the season started, everyone thought they were almost guaranteed the #1 overall pick but they ended up at #5.  Next year, it's possible (maybe even likely) that there are two QB-needy teams picking at #1 and #2, and neither of them are the Dolphins.  Then what do you do?  And Fields is nowhere near the prospect Tua is anyway, even with the injury IMO.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

EDIT: I only see Miami being interested in a move up if the deal is something similar to what the Bears dealt to select Mitch Trubisky.  Something like a 3rd round pick this year and a 3rd next year.

I'm sure we'd easily do that deal.  Heck, I'd do it for a 7th rounder.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You'd rather have a 7th round pick then select Chase Young at 2?

I'm saying if we moved back from #2 to #3, knowing the Dolphins would take Tua.  I thought you were referring to the compensation Miami would have to give up to go from #3 to #2, after securing the 3rd pick.  The Bears moved from #3 to #2, right?

Edited by HTTRDynasty

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm saying if we moved back from #2 to #3, knowing the Dolphins would take Chase Young.  I thought you were referring to the compensation Miami would have to give up to go from #3 to #2, after securing the 3rd pick.  The Bears moved from #3 to #2, right?

I meant more in regards to what the Dolphins would be willing to move from 5 to 2.  I don't see Miami being overly motivated to make that deal, especially with Tua's injury concerns.  Now without those injury concerns...

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I meant more in regards to what the Dolphins would be willing to move from 5 to 2.  I don't see Miami being overly motivated to make that deal, especially with Tua's injury concerns.  Now without those injury concerns...

Yeah, it all comes back to the teams’ medical evals. If he gets a clean bill of health with a very low chance of re-injuring the same hip, I don’t see why they wouldn’t want him badly enough to trade up. 

And I guess my overall point is that if they did that, I think they’d have to give up less in draft compensation going from #5 to #3 to #2 than if they tried going directly from #5 to #2, due to the Redskins reluctance to miss out in drafting Young. And going from #5 to #3 and staying there risks another team offering a big haul for #2. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I would be shocked if they draft a RB in Round 1. Especially given how deep this class is at RB. They can take one in the 2nd if they're really so inclined.

That’s what I would do too (wait on the depth).  But teams with multiple 1sts are more likely to fall prey to the “get your guy” thinking.   NE with Michel / OAK with Jacobs being the most recent examples.  

Edited by Broncofan

58 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

His injuries this year are his only to date, correct? To be fair rushing back into a game after spraining your ankle and then taking a hit like that (one that broke his hip, nose and gave him a concussion) would injury even the most durable of players. I don't think he has those concerns but we will see at the combine if he's recovered well enough.

1 hour ago, Drained said:

His injuries this year are his only to date, correct? To be fair rushing back into a game after spraining your ankle and then taking a hit like that (one that broke his hip, nose and gave him a concussion) would injury even the most durable of players. I don't think he has those concerns but we will see at the combine if he's recovered well enough.

He’s had two high ankle sprains in which he had surgery - to accelerate his return to football.   To be clear - no other football player has ever gone through tightrope surgery on grade 2 HAS - it’s very much in doubt if that was the right call.   Tightening up the ankle when it’s not called for raises serious Q’s on future cascade injuries.   And that’s before we get to the hip injury.  

The medical flag isn’t just the hip.  Which would be serious to begin with.  2 separate ankle surgeries one on each ankle, for a QB who relies on elusiveness and mobility as part of their skill set, are a big deal. 

Given that Tua won’t be able to show that he’s his old self until after the draft - I absolutely believe he’s going in the top 10 - but because the QB need is that dire.    I’m not so sure anyone will want to move up past MIA to get him given the health flags are massive here.  

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, Drained said:

He had that ankle injury in the SEC championship the year before I believe.