Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

5 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Are Herbert and Love in for a free fall with the way free agency has played out?

Doubt it.  You've got Cincinnati (Burrow), Miami, and LA Chargers who are almost certainly in the market for a QB.  One of them walks away with Tua.  Maybe even Detroit if you want a darkhorse.  Carolina is probably out, although you can't completely rule them out.  Jacksonville, Las Vegas, and Tampa Bay are probably in that next group.  And then you're looking at teams who might be looking at QBOTF (i.e. Minnesota, Green Bay, etc.).

• Like 1

On 17/03/2020 at 4:43 PM, CWood21 said:

Doubt it.  You've got Cincinnati (Burrow), Miami, and LA Chargers who are almost certainly in the market for a QB.  One of them walks away with Tua.  Maybe even Detroit if you want a darkhorse.  Carolina is probably out, although you can't completely rule them out.  Jacksonville, Las Vegas, and Tampa Bay are probably in that next group.  And then you're looking at teams who might be looking at QBOTF (i.e. Minnesota, Green Bay, etc.).

Yeah.  I think especially with Love...the Vet QB Carousel doesn't really impact his status much.  Everyone knows he's going to be a major project who should probably sit for a year.  Herbert too...though maybe to a slightly lesser extent.  I don't think any smart teams at least...are looking at either guy as a real Year 1 starter.  At least...not until the season is basically over and we're into garbage time to get their feet wet.

I actually think the way this veteran QB carousel has happened...might be a really good thing long-term for some of these "project" guys like Love/Eason/Herbert, plus a guy like Tua who is an an injury rehabilitation redshirt.  These guys that need to, should have their ability to actually sit and prepare for year facilitated by the number of teams that have at least a semi-competent starter in place right now.

But teams will still draft QBs with "potential" and "upside" to be franchise guys in the 1st or early 2nd round.

The kind of guy i think it hurts more than anything, is probably someone like Fromm.  A more polished guy who is probably seen as more ready to step in earlier...but without a lot of "ceiling" to aspire to.

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The kind of guy i think it hurts more than anything, is probably someone like Fromm.  A more polished guy who is probably seen as more ready to step in earlier...but without a lot of "ceiling" to aspire to.

Which is great for the Titans.  Fromm is exactly what they need out of this class: reliable backup for your QB/potential replacement if the RB-centric offense thing works in the next couple years.

I just wouldn't want to invest more than the bottom of the second if I was them.

Edited by Daniel

On 3/17/2020 at 9:49 AM, Bullet Club said:

Are Herbert and Love in for a free fall with the way free agency has played out?

I think Burrow, Tu'a, and Herbert are all locks to go in the top 10. I could see Love being this years Haskins were teams aren't as high on him as the media is and he falls until a dark horse trades up into the 15-20 range to get him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Which is great for the Titans.  Fromm is exactly what they need out of this class: reliable backup for your QB/potential replacement if the RB-centric offense thing works in the next couple years.

I just wouldn't want to invest more than the bottom of the second if I was them.

Fromm basically seems like a poor man's Mariota, if he works out.  But yeah...i could see that being a thing the Titans would want to just lock down at a cheap deal out of 3rd or 4th round pick or something.  Tanny is the man now.  Need to keep backup QB cheap to fit in the supporting cast to make Tannehill successful, and while Fromm doesn't have Tanny's arm...he's a guy you could imagine coming in and basically playing like Mariota if he had to.

12 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think Burrow, Tu'a, and Herbert are all locks to go in the top 10. I could see Love being this years Haskins were teams aren't as high on him as the media is and he falls until a dark horse trades up into the 15-20 range to get him. 

I mean, 15-20 isn't really a fall.  I'm thinking a fall more like Lamar Jackson, where yeah, the media is way higher than teams, and he falls to like the 20-30 range. 

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Fromm basically seems like a poor man's Mariota, if he works out.  But yeah...i could see that being a thing the Titans would want to just lock down at a cheap deal out of 3rd or 4th round pick or something.  Tanny is the man now.  Need to keep backup QB cheap to fit in the supporting cast to make Tannehill successful, and while Fromm doesn't have Tanny's arm...he's a guy you could imagine coming in and basically playing like Mariota if he had to.

Mariota is a weird comp for Fromm.  I like the one people keep going to (a better AJ McCarron).  Titans are gonna be squeezed for cap space, but we'll need a backup QB.  Draft is where we'll go for it, I just hope Fromm's stock sinks enough for him to be affordable for the Titans.  They do have bigger needs to take care of first (CB, DT, maybe even OT).

On 3/21/2020 at 7:58 AM, Daniel said:

I mean, 15-20 isn't really a fall.  I'm thinking a fall more like Lamar Jackson, where yeah, the media is way higher than teams, and he falls to like the 20-30 range. 

Mariota is a weird comp for Fromm.  I like the one people keep going to (a better AJ McCarron).  Titans are gonna be squeezed for cap space, but we'll need a backup QB.  Draft is where we'll go for it, I just hope Fromm's stock sinks enough for him to be affordable for the Titans.  They do have bigger needs to take care of first (CB, DT, maybe even OT).

I think Fromm is somewhere between Bridgewater and McCarron, probably closer to McCarron. I don't see much of a fall for Fromm because he was always going to be a day 3 flyer barring a big reach from a team.

Jalen Hurts is the top QB in this class IMO.  He's not spectacular but he'll get the job done.  I see him as a more athletic Dak Prescott or bigger Tyrod Taylor in the NFL.

The rest of this QB class is a mess.  Tua's got talent but he's too injury prone.  Joe Burrow is a one year wonder.  Justin Herbert looks the part but lacks QB skills.  Jordan Love is a poor man's Marcus Mariota.  Jake Fromm lacks arm talent.  This is the weakest QB class since 2015.

5 hours ago, VanS said:

Jalen Hurts is the top QB in this class IMO.  He's not spectacular but he'll get the job done.  I see him as a more athletic Dak Prescott or bigger Tyrod Taylor in the NFL.

He definitely got the job done in the biggest games of his collegiate "career". You have a lot of reasons to believe the way you do lol. And being a "Tyrod Taylor" is not a ringing endorsement.

Edited by JTagg7754

3 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

He definitely got the job done in the biggest games of his collegiate "career". You have a lot of reasons to believe the way you do lol. And being a "Tyrod Taylor" is not a ringing endorsement.

Tyrod is a decent QB.  Give him elite talent like Dak has and he could be effective.  Look how bad Dak was before Amari then how he suddenly became good overnight.  I'll be interested to see how the Chargers do this season if they really plan on Tyrod being the starter.  They could be better than most think.

With that said, I like Hurts but I'm not super high on him.  He won't be a star QB.  He'll be at best a Dak level QB.  A guy who can perform well with the right pieces around him but will struggle if put in a not so great situation.  He'll be a game manager type who won't lose you games but can't really carry a team on his shoulders to victory. 

5 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

People here: Dan Orlovsky is really smart. He was a backup for X number of years!!! He knows what he's talking about

Dan Orlovsky on Get Up right now: Baker Mayfield will be the best QB in the AFC North this year

Yeah.......

I’m not really high on Baker but that’s hardly a stretch with his new coach and possibility of adding an OT. We don’t know if Lamar will regress and teams will figure out how to massively slow him down. We also don’t know how Ben will play after his injury. 

I don’t agree with his assessment but seems you are incapable of thinking outside the box. Stuff like this happens all the time. Cam Newton was the worst QB in his division after his MVP year. Matt Ryan was the 3rd best QB in his division the following year after his MVP. 

Edited by BayRaider