Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 4/9/2020 at 3:37 PM, HoboRocket said:

Is Joe Burrow on par with Peyton Manning? Manning is my best comp for Burrow.

As a prospect, I'd say he's a similar tier (which is a half step behind Elway/Luck IMO). In terms of play style, he projects more as a Montana(cool, unflappable demeanor)/Romo (nimble in the pocket, makes plays) hybrid. Brady makes sense as a comp as well. I know thats a lot of HoFers but I'm trying to compare styles than project his actual play in the league. Its hard to compare him to any other level of QB though since he was historically good this year.

• Like 1

I thought this new video was an excellent summary of Justin Herbert. Sure Jordan Love might bomb but you are buying some incredible traits and that 2018 season. With Justin Herbert you are buying one flaw after another. I don't see how enough of them go away. I think it's an extended tease:

5 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

I thought this new video was an excellent summary of Justin Herbert. Sure Jordan Love might bomb but you are buying some incredible traits and that 2018 season. With Justin Herbert you are buying one flaw after another. I don't see how enough of them go away. I think it's an extended tease:

In terms of physical ability, Herbert looks like a carbon copy of Carson Wentz to me. They even more similarly (big, good athleticism no matter the size, but move mildly awkwardly despite that, but still plus talent overall).

However, Herbert - whether due to offense or his own make-up - is much more coy than Wentz. I won't dive too much into it, but I think the two main issues with Herbert are playing outside of a script and overall accuracy. I think his front hand comes off the ball way too early and extends it far too wide when throwing. I believe it causes the ball to tail. He needs to tighten up his release, something I don't believe is talked about much because his throwing arm motion is pretty, but throwing is an entire body experience. Brief side example, look at Joe Burrow in the 2018 opener vs Joe Burrow basically any point last season. Guy barely threw with his lower body at all to start 2018. His body rotation was poor and it highlighted his sub-par arm talent. Brady did a great job of getting Burrow to clean that up and it was a big reason for the heightened production.

On playing off script, just look at any Herbert game last year against top talent. You watch any of those games and you will see him play solid to start the game - the part of the game basically 99% of offenses have set to a specific script - but then massively drops off after that. Arizona State played a true Tampa 2, dropping the ILB (a former safety) far back, generally even before the snap, and daring Herbert to pass on them downfield. I strongly believe the Sun Devils simply did not believe Herbert had to accuracy nor processing ability to beat him. 

• Like 2

https://twitter.com/First_N_Goal1/status/1251150205606486016?s=20https://twitter.com/First_N_Goal1/status/1251150205606486016?s=20

The only position Wonderlic matters for. Historically, QB's with under a 20 Wonderlic do not succeed from a pure passing standpoint. Yes, you'll have outliers like Dan Marino at 16 and others, but percentages of QBs succeeding under 20 are absolutely horrendous. And the average Wonderlic Score for a Super Bowl winning QB is 30.7.

Tua at 13 is a huge concern imo. I mean, he's still definitely QB2 in this class imo, but 13 is just really, really bad. I would of thought Tua would of been one of the smarter QBs in this class.

Burrow at 34 is pretty impressive.

• Like 2

Tua at 13 is a huge concern imo. I mean, he's still definitely QB2 in this class imo, but 13 is just really, really bad. I would of thought Tua would of been one of the smarter QBs in this class.

Pure speculation, but he seems like a kid who's father pushed him so hard that all he did was football growing up. I am not too surprised he didnt test well here. He seems like a great kid who could have developed a bit different given certain circumstance but kids whos parents are overly aggressive in singularly pushing their kid in a sport (Especially a single sport) generally do not develop too well in other arenas of life. This could be a reflection of that IMO. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

https://twitter.com/First_N_Goal1/status/1251150205606486016?s=20https://twitter.com/First_N_Goal1/status/1251150205606486016?s=20

The only position Wonderlic matters for. Historically, QB's with under a 20 Wonderlic do not succeed from a pure passing standpoint. Yes, you'll have outliers like Dan Marino at 16 and others, but percentages of QBs succeeding under 20 are absolutely horrendous. And the average Wonderlic Score for a Super Bowl winning QB is 30.7.

Been corrected. Tua took it in 2018 and scored a 13. Scored a 19 at the combine which is meh... But better than a 13

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Pure speculation, but he seems like a kid who's father pushed him so hard that all he did was football growing up. I am not too surprised he didnt test well here. He seems like a great kid who could have developed a bit different given certain circumstance but kids whos parents are overly aggressive in singularly pushing their kid in a sport (Especially a single sport) generally do not develop too well in other arenas of life. This could be a reflection of that IMO. 

Whether or not that even has anything to do with his Wonderlic score(s)...i think this is a nagging aspect with Tua that leaves me with a bit of an odd feeling.  A lot of what i've seen, just gives me a weird "crazy football dad" vibe with Tua.  There's pushing a kid and supporting them...and then there's going too far and putting all your aspirations in them.  Real passion for the game is important, and can make all the difference.  And burnout is a real thing.

It's just such a weird year for a "top QB prospect" to be coming out with all of these questions Tua seems to have.  Medicals being what they are right now, makes for more of a questionmark.  Interviews being restricted in person to better feel that stuff out.  Even on the outside looking in as a fan...there's just so much less exposure, trying to glean some insights about the guy during the normal pre-draft process through interviews and conferences conducted in person.

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Here's the big list:

https://iqtestprep.com/nfl-wonderlic-scores/

I don't buy that much into it honestly.

On 4/17/2020 at 7:38 PM, BroncosFan2010 said:

Just watched his interview from the SB with Dan Patrick and he explains that his dad made his decision to go to Alabama even though Tua himself really wanted to go to USC.

This is definitely a concern, but hopefully it doesn't come to fruition and he succeeds. 

2 hours ago, phinsforlife said:

Just watched his interview from the SB with Dan Patrick and he explains that his dad made his decision to go to Alabama even though Tua himself really wanted to go to USC.

This is definitely a concern, but hopefully it doesn't come to fruition and he succeeds. 

Yeah, I would worry that he has a helicopter dad like Archie Manning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phinsforlife said:

His Dad made the right call