Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah all this Jalen Hurts is a top 3 pick talk needs to stop.  The guy has played literally no one this season, and will not play any legit defense till he plays Texas and then again with Iowa State.  Heck Texas has tons of injuries on defense so even that game might not be a good challenge either.  Those two games matter though if Texas can get back healthy, the rest it does not really matter especially in the Big 12 because the defense is just awful.

Put Hurts against Ohio State or Clemson he would look like a different player, he better hope they do not get to the college football playoff.  If he is a top 3 pick that means he is getting picked over Tua or Herbert and believing that is pathetic because there will not be 3 QBs drafted in a row because Chase Young will be in that mix for top 3 or will be #1 overall.

I agree, but i'd swap Herbert for Eason at this point.  You've got one guy trending sharply upward, and the other...looking like he hasn't progressed at all from the warts he would've had as a 2019 entry.

I'm not even sure Eason or Herbert will be a Top-3 pick...but given the league's propensity to draft QBs ultra high...i think at least one of them goes there, along with Tua.  

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I don't know if it's even really "down" on Fromm...so much as probably adjusted back to where he should be.  He seems like an "Andy Dalton upside" type QB to me.  He does the right things, he can run a game and do the right things...but he's just sorely lacking those gamebreaking traits.  If he's drafted somewhere around where Dalton was, i can see a team being really happy with that...right up until, like Cincy...years later they realize it's just not quite enough.

He's that "high floor / low ceiling" type QB.  With all the "intangible" traits to succeed as that at the next level.

I feel like comparing Hurts to Dak is relevant here.  They have similarities.  Neither is even in the same league as Lamar as an athletic runner.  Hurts is on pace to rack up an insane number of yards as a runner so far this year...but he just doesn't have that same explosive, dynamic quality Lamar did as a college QB.  I'm not sure he's really a better thrower either.  He's on pace to more or less match Dak's final season in total yards...but he's doing it so far, with an extremely skewed comp%.  It's into that danger zone on the opposite end of the "Josh Allen is inaccurate %" spectrum...where you start to have to really think about an inflationary system that designs easy completions and/or vs inferior competition.  It's a red flag number in the other direction, because it's probably a system mirage...which is probably hiding their real passing ability.

With Dak though...especially in retrospect, you can see that clear progression from "running QB" to...by his draft year, a guy who ran a lot less, and passed a lot more.  Signs of a QB who was settling in more as a pocket passer suited for the next level, while still having that threat as a runner from his earlier years.  Hurts to me...looks like a guy who has found a landing spot where they'll use his "running QB" ability to it's fullest, and give him a lot of easy looks as a passer in between.

Kinda feels like with Hurts, you're maybe getting Dak's athleticism at best...with Jackson's passing ability.  I'm just not getting the hype.

I'm a Fromm fan myself, if for no other reason than he fits what the Titans need if they move on from Mariota, and could actually be available for them.  He seems to be able to read defenses pretty well and progresses through his reads regularly.  He doesn't have a cannon arm, but how many of those types really pan out anyway?  As long as arm strength isn't a concern, I'm fine with it, and I don't think his is any worse than average.  He's accurate and does a good job getting rid of the ball when there's pressure.

He doesn't take over games the way other hyped prospects do, but there's plenty to work with there.  He does well in the tough games down the stretch, I'll like him a lot more.

Hurts, I agree.  He looks great suddenly in the Oklahoma system, but who hasn't?  Baker isn't looking so great suddenly, after all, and Hurts hasn't faced a defense yet.  I'd rather trust the two years we've seen of him as a QB over three games in a QB friendly system against nobodies.

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I agree, but i'd swap Herbert for Eason at this point.  You've got one guy trending sharply upward, and the other...looking like he hasn't progressed at all from the warts he would've had as a 2019 entry.

I'm not even sure Eason or Herbert will be a Top-3 pick...but given the league's propensity to draft QBs ultra high...i think at least one of them goes there, along with Tua.  

Eh, I don't know about that.  I know some people like Eason, but Herbert has done nothing to drop his stock as far as I can tell.  Still, I agree that Eason/Herbert have a better chance of going high than Hurts, and even if they don't, there are a lot of really good prospects at other positions that will be really coveted by teams picking high.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Kinda feels like with Hurts, you're maybe getting Dak's athleticism at best...with Jackson's passing ability.  I'm just not getting the hype.

Both of those quarterbacks are in the top five of not only quarterback play, but for MVP so far. If you think you’ll have a combination of those two guys, an MVP candidate and top five quarterback, then that prospect is a surefire top three pick.

In addition to these great physical traits, Hurts has so much hype from me because he is renowned for his intangibles as a leader and teammate. Culture is huge for a franchise player.

Edited by DoleINGout

39 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm a Fromm fan myself, if for no other reason than he fits what the Titans need if they move on from Mariota, and could actually be available for them.  He seems to be able to read defenses pretty well and progresses through his reads regularly.  He doesn't have a cannon arm, but how many of those types really pan out anyway?  As long as arm strength isn't a concern, I'm fine with it, and I don't think his is any worse than average.  He's accurate and does a good job getting rid of the ball when there's pressure.

He doesn't take over games the way other hyped prospects do, but there's plenty to work with there.  He does well in the tough games down the stretch, I'll like him a lot more.

Hurts, I agree.  He looks great suddenly in the Oklahoma system, but who hasn't?  Baker isn't looking so great suddenly, after all, and Hurts hasn't faced a defense yet.  I'd rather trust the two years we've seen of him as a QB over three games in a QB friendly system against nobodies.

Eh, I don't know about that.  I know some people like Eason, but Herbert has done nothing to drop his stock as far as I can tell.  Still, I agree that Eason/Herbert have a better chance of going high than Hurts, and even if they don't, there are a lot of really good prospects at other positions that will be really coveted by teams picking high.

It's really not that i don't like Fromm...it's just that i really question his upside.  I'd be okay with him going to a division rival like the Titans, is what i'm saying.  Might burn me, probably will...because Jaguars...but he just doesn't scare me one tiny bit long-term as an NFL QB against a good team.  Feels a lot like Mariota going to the Titans where i was kinda...okay...i guess we'll see, but i'm not that scurred.  Honestly, i'm about as scared of that as i would be of Tannehill starting the next game vs Jaguars this year.

Eason is definitely a taste thing at this point.  The guy is just trending up though.  He's showing all of the traits that could make him a star...but honestly, i think Washington might be a better place to showcase it.  Georgia has too much talent to really let him ball out.  And that's kinda always gonna be the question with Fromm.  Is he more than what he looks like as a terrific college game manager?  He's got some really positive "big moments" on his resume...but he's always done it with big talent around him too.

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

Both of those quarterbacks are in the top five of not only quarterback play, but for MVP so far. If you think you’ll have a combination of those two guys, an MVP candidate and top five quarterback, then that player is a surefire top three pick.

I didn't say it's an average of those two guys...i said it's basically the worst aspects of each.  That's not as good.

10 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

In addition to these great physical traits, Hurts has so much hype from me because he is renowned for his intangibles as a leader and teammate. Culture is huge for a franchise player.

8 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I didn't say it's an average of those two guys...i said it's basically the worst aspects of each.  That's not as good.

Hurts is more accurate than Lamar Jackson with higher upside as a runner than Dak Prescott. And don’t forget the top quote. Put that all together and Hurts is going to be a top draft prospect in 2020 and likely a top three pick.

Just now, DoleINGout said:

Hurts is more accurate than Lamar Jackson with higher upside as a runner than Dak Prescott. And don’t forget the top quote. Put that all together and Hurts is going to be a top draft prospect in 2020 and likely a top three pick.

Hello, and i read the Statistics so far.

Raider fan reading about QB’s because how it’s looking in our forum it’s looking like we’ll be getting a new Carr. I like our current Carr but most of the fans are convinced it’s time to move on. This Carr has low 20’s millions on 3 more years with others making low to mid 30’s I still see ours as a bargain. Lol being we will probably pick 6th and Bears 20th we’d have to give up our entire draft (2) 1sts, (2) 3rds and the rest of the garbage to get the #1 prospect and that’s without a premium attached so add another 1St in 2021 and that might work but Miami looks like they’d rather keep #1 unless we threw in 1st 2022 too lol. So we could maybe get the #2 pick for our entire draft but if we did that I’d prefer DE Young and roll with our Carr. At 6 or so we’re probably looking at a younger version of Carr with possible unknown upside if lucky. WOW isn’t that exciting?!? 

So Herbs, Eason, Hurts, From or other guys mentioned I’ll be interested in reading about because it’s gotta be the Carr’s problem not the ones making the road trip to Vegas...

Get a tune up and draft 2nd best WR or DE at 6 and then get the next best of the above with the 20’s pick as the QB’s by then will be gone as teams will see us wanting a new Carr and move ahead of us. Kind of like cutting our punter and then two teams jumping us to get punters leaving us with 3rd choice and him being cut after a season because be SUCKED... That was probably the Carr’s fault too. 9.75 more years with our designated driver... Wwweeee...

• Like 2

Herbert has been really good this year. He’s got things to work on still (when he’s facing pressure, not anticipating throws, etc) but he looks more confident out there and has been way more accurate. He’s working with a subpar WR crew again this year but at least they’re catching the ball better.

We’ll see how he progresses as we go through the meat of our schedule.

Edited by Oregon Ducks

4 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Herbert has been really good this year. He’s got things to work on still (when he’s facing pressure, not anticipating throws, etc) but he looks more confident out there and has been way more accurate. He’s working with a subpar WR crew again this year but at least they’re catching the ball better.

We’ll see how he progresses as we go through the meat of our schedule.

How's Juwan Johnson been? He was supposed to breakout last year for us, but never did. He actually regressed and became the 4th option behind 3 freshman (Hamler, Friermuth and Dotson) by season's end.

12 hours ago, Danger said:

How's Juwan Johnson been? He was supposed to breakout last year for us, but never did. He actually regressed and became the 4th option behind 3 freshman (Hamler, Friermuth and Dotson) by season's end.

Hasn’t played. He’s dealing with a calf injury that people think is an Achilles injury ala Durant.

On 26/09/2019 at 3:38 PM, G said:

So Herbs, Eason, Hurts, From or other guys mentioned I’ll be interested in reading about because it’s gotta be the Carr’s problem not the ones making the road trip to Vegas...

As a Raiders fan myself, I might actually keep my allegiance in the Bay if any of those replacements are chosen. 

Not a single one of them does a single thing for me. Personally, I feel like most of the QBs in this upcoming draft have artificially high stock- people overvaluing certain QBs because it's so natural to have 2, 3, even 4 QBs off the board by pick 42. Kinda like the overreactions about Trevor Lawrence being pre-anointed as the 1st overall pick.....as a Freshman ffs. 

I'm with you, I'd rather keep our Carr and give it something to work with. 

• Like 1