Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

None are Dobbs that’s for sure

You might think you're getting at me with this.  Just know that I love it.  I've not posted a thing about Dobbs unprompted since 2017.  If you guys didn't mention it, most people would never know where I stood on him. 

When Dobbs blows up in the next year or so I'll be thanking you for continually reminding people how I was the only one who forecasted his greatness.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VanS said:

You might think you're getting at me with this.  Just know that I love it.  I've not posted a thing about Dobbs unprompted since 2017.  If you guys didn't mention it, most people would never know where I stood on him. 

When Dobbs blows up in the next year or so I'll be thanking you for continually reminding people how I was the only one who forecasted his greatness.

Okay I’ll be waiting. And of course you haven’t posted anything about him unprompted. You were wrong on him up to this point. But if you were right we wouldn’t hear the end of it. Be consistent.

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

Okay I’ll be waiting. And of course you haven’t posted anything about him unprompted. You were wrong on him up to this point. But if you were right we wouldn’t hear the end of it. Be consistent.

How can I be wrong when he hasn't started a single NFL regular season game yet?   And don't even say its because he isn't good enough.  The NFL is all about opportunity.   Who knew Gardner Minshew could play before Nick Foles got hurt?  Who knew Tom Brady's name before Drew Bledsoe got hurt?   Kurt Warner was 28 years old when an injury gave him his shot at stardom.

If I saw something in Dobbs game  thus far during his limited action that gave me pause, you would see me backtracking.  Or at the very least lowering expectations.  As I did earlier this off-season when it came to Lamar Jackson.  But I've done nothing of the sort.  I haven't mentioned him a lot because I don't want to jinx him not because I fear I am wrong.

I'm still 100% confident Dobbs will be a SUPERSTAR in this league remiscent of Randall Cunningham.  He just needs his luck to change so he gets his shot.

Edited by VanS
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, VanS said:

How can I be wrong when he hasn't started a single NFL regular season game yet?   And don't even say its because he isn't good enough.  The NFL is all about opportunity.   Who knew Gardner Minshew could play before Nick Foles got hurt?  Who knew Tom Brady's name before Drew Bledsoe got hurt?   Kurt Warner was 28 years old when an injury gave him his shot at stardom.

If I saw something in Dobbs game  thus far during his limited action that gave me pause, you would see me backtracking.  Or at the very least lowering expectations.  As I did earlier this off-season when it came to Lamar Jackson.  But I've done nothing of the sort.  I haven't mentioned him a lot because I don't want to jinx him not because I fear I am wrong.

I'm still 100% confident Dobbs will be a SUPERSTAR in this league remiscent of Randall Cunningham.  He just needs his luck to change so he gets his shot.

And if he never plays? You’ll just live in some fantasy land of what could have been? Oh boy. It’s not luck. It’s lack of skill

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Counselor said:

And if he never plays? You’ll just live in some fantasy land of what could have been? Oh boy. It’s not luck. It’s lack of skill

No.  I've already stated MULTIPLE TIMES that if he never plays for an extended period of time in the NFL I will admit I was wrong.  But such an event is highly unlikely.  Just this season we've seen what seems like a million backup QBs play.  Plus he's only 24 years old.  One way or another he will play meaningful regular season snaps in the NFL and we'll all get to see what he truly is.

As of now, 3 years into his professional career, Dobbs has just had a bit of bad luck go against him.  As a rookie, he wasn't ready to play which is why he was an inactive all year.  Then last year he wins the backup job behind Big Ben who manages to stay healthy all year.  Then this year one week after he gets traded to the Jags (where you would think he would have a good chance to start given Nick Foles injury and the fact the new starter is a 6th round rookie), Big Ben goes down for the season and that 6th round rookie turns into one of the stories of the league.  Then Rudolph sustains a serious injury a few weeks later clearing the path for a 3rd QB to play in Pittsburgh. 

If the Steelers don't trade Dobbs after Week 1, he's probably starting this week on Sunday Night Football instead of undrafted 4th string rookie Devlin Hodges.  At some point luck will turn in Dobbs favor.  All I ask is you keep the same energy then that you're keeping right now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VanS said:

No.  I've already stated MULTIPLE TIMES that if he never plays for an extended period of time in the NFL I will admit I was wrong.  But such an event is highly unlikely.  Just this season we've seen what seems like a million backup QBs play.  Plus he's only 24 years old.  One way or another he will play meaningful regular season snaps in the NFL and we'll all get to see what he truly is.

As of now, 3 years into his professional career, Dobbs has just had a bit of bad luck go against him.  As a rookie, he wasn't ready to play which is why he was an inactive all year.  Then last year he wins the backup job behind Big Ben who manages to stay healthy all year.  Then this year one week after he gets traded to the Jags (where you would think he would have a good chance to start given Nick Foles injury and the fact the new starter is a 6th round rookie), Big Ben goes down for the season and that 6th round rookie turns into one of the stories of the league.  Then Rudolph sustains a serious injury a few weeks later clearing the path for a 3rd QB to play in Pittsburgh. 

If the Steelers don't trade Dobbs after Week 1, he's probably starting this week on Sunday Night Football instead of undrafted 4th string rookie Devlin Hodges.  At some point luck will turn in Dobbs favor.  All I ask is you keep the same energy then that you're keeping right now.

I’ll keep it forever 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

This could possibly be the biggest game of the season for Jalen Hurts' draft grade. Texas is arguably the best defense he'll face this season. So far, he's looking pretty good against the Longhorns.

True, but Sterns is out for Texas and Foster got injured in this game but he is back in.  The best D they will face all season most likely will be if they get to the Playoff and or a bigger bowl game.  Jalen has looked great running the ball but passing has not impressed me.  Throwing little screen passes to Lamb is not impressive and he has turned it over twice as well.  Just does not look very natural as a QB, but sure is great in college because teams obviously cannot stop the QB run game and the zone read action.  Especially when you have multiple RBs you can throw out there, good receivers and a very good OL which they seem to always have.  

Will see how he looks the rest of the game.

Just now, ClutchDJ said:

Jalen Hurts against a competent D is looking like.....well......not good.

Also, lets please stop pretending Fromm is a 1st rounder. Please.

Yeah Fromm has looked really bad in this game, threw some poor passes and shows without a run game he is not very good without that support.  His record when he has throw over 30 passes on Georgia is really bad, not totally sure but I think they have never won a game when he has thrown over 30 passes.  

On 10/10/2019 at 8:51 PM, VanS said:

This QB class looks really weak.

I've yet to see anyone worthy of a 1st round pick.

Really? I'm on the otherside of fence on it. I think it's the 2nd best QB Class since 2016(with only 2018 being more top level heavy)

Tua/Herbert look like the clear #1 and #2 guys. You've got Eason looking to make strong case to potential 1st rounder. Also you have guys like Jordan Love, Joe Burrows, Steven Montez that can make some noise come combine time. 

20 minutes ago, Classic said:

Really? I'm on the otherside of fence on it. I think it's the 2nd best QB Class since 2016(with only 2018 being more top level heavy)

Tua/Herbert look like the clear #1 and #2 guys. You've got Eason looking to make strong case to potential 1st rounder. Also you have guys like Jordan Love, Joe Burrows, Steven Montez that can make some noise come combine time. 

Tua is undersized and doesn't have great arm strength.  He's also injury prone.  I'm not enamored with him at all.  Justin Hebert and Jacob Eason have ideal measureables but both look like they lack the intangibles to be great.  Haven't seen Jordan Love or Steven Montez play so I can't give you an opinion about them.  Joe Burrow looks like just another guy.  Same with Jake Fromm.  Both are simply byproducts of the talent and coaching around them.

When it comes to QBs, I look for 2 things: elite physical tools and top notch intangibles.  My top QBs in the 2018 draft were Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson for that reason.  I was also not big on Baker Mayfield.  I place zero importance on college stats or college accomplishments when it comes to evaluating QBs.  I only look to see if the QB has elite physical traits (i.e. size, arm strength, athleticism) and then I look at his personality traits to see if he has the intangibles to maximize those physical tools.  Everything else is the byproduct of circumstance.  

Edited by VanS

43 minutes ago, Classic said:

Steven Montez is not a good QB. Not at all.