Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 10/24/2019 at 8:39 PM, Tetsujin said:

Have we discussed Kellen Mond yet? He seems like a big wildcard in either the 20' or 21' draft that nobody's mentioning.

Hobo's Kellen Mond Draft Profile

I think people in the scouting community are leery because he was too similar to Nick Fitzgerald early in his career. Even with improvement, his accuracy is average at best, scatter-shot at worst, though there has been noticeable improvement over the course of his career. He DOES have a history of overthrowing guys, though, whether it's 5 yards downfield or 25 yards downfield. He's cleaned it up a bit this year with less overthrows,  though he still lacks a bit there. His completion percentage has gone up every year. He's athletic and mobile, but not uber-productive running the football. For what it's worth, I like him. He's not a first round prospect at this point, though. Maybe that changes in the off-season. He makes whole-field reads in this offense, and has gotten a LOT better at it since the start of 2018. He can pretty consistently make the right read, but he's not perfect there. Still, it's definitely a plus. He's definitely athletic, considering that he was the #1 dual-threat QB in the Nation coming out of high school. He had shown the ability to step up in the pocket and deliver strikes downfield, and he has enough arm strength to make throws off-platform efficiently, as well. Some throws can get away from him and sail because his footwork and lower-body mechanics can get really out of whack sometimes. Mond is naturally a competitor, but he can be reckless with the football at times. Still, it's nice to have an attitude where he won't shy away from big time throws. 

He's certainly improved under Jimbo Fisher, but I think he should return for his senior season to continue improving

Edited by HoboRocket
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 9:42 AM, SmittyBacall said:

As a Bengals fan, this is the kind of play that can sell me on a prospect.

You're kidding right?

That's a routine throw to a guy running wide open.  How is that a play that sells you on a prospect.

This Joe Burrow hype is all because he's having surprising success in college.  It isn't a reflection of his superior talent.  I always side with talent over collegiate success when it comes to rating prospects.  Joe Burrow is an okay talent.  He's not special.

Just now, VanS said:

You really think this is the time to use Baker Mayfield as a favorable comp?  Dude looks like a bust.  He's on pace to set the NFL record for INTs in a season.

You're missing the point. Baker and Burrow are not similar QBs, but they have similar situations. 

4 hours ago, Danger said:

This QB class looks far far better than last years.

Meh.

Burrow & Tua are the only QBs I can see having noteworthy careers.

The 2018 class was supposed to be “amazing” & yet, Kyler & Minshew looks better than every QB in that class sans the “should’ve been a RB” Lamar.

8 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Meh.

The 2018 class was supposed to be “amazing” & yet, Kyler & Minshew looks better than every QB in that class sans the “should’ve been a RB” Lamar.

The hit rate on first round QBs is typically around 50% to 60%. Baker will be fine. Lamar is a good QB. If Allen or Darnold manage to be a competent starter, that class will have performed to expectations.

4 hours ago, Classic said:

How come Burrow never got a chance at OSU if he is a potential #1 pick? Just took a look at his stats last year and he completed under 60%, any LSU fan what changed this year? 

Joe Brady

New passing game coordinator, came from the Saints in the NFL.  Has really helped the passing game and those receivers are really breaking out after playing good last year, now they are playing great.  Chase and Jefferson are ripping teams up and Moss has been pretty solid at TE.  Burrow was good last year this season he has been great but let us see how he ends the year and plays against Bama.

Clearly never got a chance on Ohio State because of Dwyane Haskins and never won the job over him so left and played at LSU last year since he graduated already from Ohio State.  

Also no one is going to draft him 1st overall.  That would be pretty stupid, especially with Chase Young out there.  

PS Shea Patterson should get some more love, had a hard start to the season but is now throwing the ball on time and with confidence.  Had really a fine game in pretty awful conditions in the rain.  Is great in the pocket, can move around and make plays with his feet to buy time.  Is a competitive kid, good open field runner if he needs to be and throws with good timing and anticipation on the move under pressure.  Quick release and as a mid round draft pick could be a fine backup and developmental QB for a team at the next level.  For a 2nd tear QB he is very interesting I feel.  

Edited by Ozzy

2 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Meh.

Baker was good last year, lets not write that off. They all still have time to grow and develop. QBs ideally want to see growth in year 2, but you really shouldn't say the book it out on them until sometime in season 3.  Conversely. LaMar Jackson really hasn't been as good as the media is making him out to be.

Herbert should still be a good pick this year. You also have Jordan Love and Jacob Eason who could make a push as a potential high pick perhaps as well.