Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed. The Lawrence hype has certainly died down but I’d still take him over any QB in this class. 

Just the sheer potential he has is off the charts, whether he's in a slump or not. Burrow could very well just be "pro ready"

Just now, Danger said:

Just the sheer potential he has is off the charts, whether he's in a slump or not. Burrow could very well just be "pro ready"

Love Burrow too but he is my QB3 behind Lawrence and Tua. Tuas arm and talent surroundings are extremely overblown. Dude will tear the NFL up with a high level of certainty. I also really like Eason and think Fromm can be really good on the Saints or Pats. 

Lots of good QBs coming out soon. 

Had enough time to watch Eason as UW fan and talent is definitely there, but not any where close to a finished project.

Has the arm talent to hit deep outs, and fit balls into tight windows. His deep ball is really nice, hits WRs in stride pretty consistently. Does a good job anticipating WR's in their routes, puts the ball in good spots. Stands tall and confident in the pocket.

BUT, has a knack for a few really awful throws a game. Can't turn down the heat on short passes. Pretty awful outside the pocket, turns his back to the defense too much. Loses vision downfield when pressured. Prone to stretches of bad football. Struggles to find guys on his peripherals. Can be late on throws. 

I think another year of seasoning would do him well (biased as a UW fan), but an NFL team or two could fall in love with him for his pure talent alone, so he could end up going higher than he should. If this was 1996, he would be a top 5 pick. Different era, different game. 

• Like 1

I've changed the way I evaluate QBs I no longer look for the best tools to mold. 

I look at who is a top 5 game manager in the landscape of college football, and then I look at the tools to see what boxes are and aren't checked. 

My concern with Burrow or any QB in this class is. If you take then top 5 are you going to be able to build the rest of the team around them up quickly?

Miami is the only team I can hedge that bet, as well as Cincinnati with their Left Tackle on IR. Tennessee screams Hurts in mid round one. They still got enough talent on the line to mold that unit and sprinkle him in there.

Edited by thebestever6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I've changed the way I evaluate QBs I no longer look for the best tools to mold. 

I look at who is a top 5 game manager in the landscape of college football, and then I look at the tools to see what boxes are and aren't checked. 

My concern with Burrow or any QB in this class is. If you take then top 5 are you going to be able to build the rest of the team around them up quickly?

Miami is the only team I can hedge that bet, as well as Cincinnati with their Left Tackle on IR. Tennessee screams Hurts in mid round one. They still got enough talent on the line to mold that unit and sprinkle him in there.

Football is an IQ position more than any position in sports. You still need tools but without intelligence they won’t survive in the NFL. 

Good College Production for a QB is highly important, it shows he is smart, can make progressions, and the awareness to play the position. 

Like I said, I’ll never understand the deep fascination with guys like Justin Herbert and Drew Lock. Lock has a rocket arm, yeah hes really dumb, doesn’t make progressions well, and folds like a lawn chair against complicated looks. 

Same with Herbert. Highly highly inconsistent. 

Also not a big Hurts fan. That is the most friendly QB system of all time. While I did like Kyler Murray and think he’ll be very successful, I think Hurts is a backup at the NFL Level. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Like I said, I’ll never understand the deep fascination with guys like Justin Herbert and Drew Lock. Lock has a rocket arm, yeah hes really dumb, doesn’t make progressions well, and folds like a lawn chair against complicated looks. 

Disagree with Lock completely!!! 

Guy helped an Undermanned Mizzou team in the toughest conference put up 33.7 points per game his senior year. That screams way above average game manager. 

His footwork is poor, he holds onto the ball too long playing hero ball. He was a stealllll at pick 42.

Herbert I would not touch top 5.

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Also not a big Hurts fan. That is the most friendly QB system of all time. While I did like Kyler Murray and think he’ll be very successful, I think Hurts is a backup at the NFL Level. 

You know there's at least 1 owner/GM contemplating being the next Ravens.  

On 11/3/2019 at 1:09 PM, Oregon Ducks said:

Herbert looked like garbage in the first quarter but was pretty damn good for the rest of the game. I don't love him as a prospect, tbh, but his physical tools are undeniable. 

God, please Elway, don't do it.  Just stick with Lock, even if he fails (more than likely) it won't be 2 early failed picks in a row in consecutive years.

Edited by Broncofan

4 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

You know there's at least 1 owner/GM contemplating being the next Ravens.  

There's a trend going on in the NFL that started in 2010 with TIM TEBOW. Josh McDaniels was a trend setter if that makes sense.

-He was a bust but he opened the leagues eyes of how to view the qb position which is disposable after 6 years ala rb.

- 2011 Cam Newton followed that trend Colin Kaepernick same thing.

- 2012 Luck and Russell Wilson followed that trend Wilson is just a miracle worker.

-2015 Marcus Mariota bust but same premise just at #2 gooo.

-2016 Carson Wentz Fitz that playstyle so does DaK Prescott.  Lynch was supposed to be that but he was a bussssttt. 

- 2017 Watson has this same mold hes MJ esque though.

- 2018 Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen fit this mold. Baker does to an extent.

Like it or not QB is becoming the rb position when taking the long game approach.  The days of a Peyton Manning or a Tom Brady like career look to have fallen by the Wayside. 

Unless,,, you're a true #1 pick Patrick Mahomes in 2017 bas a case.

The goal Of winning organizations is never to get a franchise qb that's a fan myth.  The goal of a team is to have a top 10 game manager ability at the position for a minimum of 6 years.

Edited by thebestever6

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

There's a reason why Lock fell to the 2nd round...