Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

59 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Check the first page. People being high on Fromm is one of the weirdest things I ever seen.

He's always just struck me as the Drew Stanton type. I allowed the fanboys to really try and convince me he was at least somewhat alright.

Also Justin Herbert made a huge mistake not coming out last year. He's playing himself out of the first round tonight frankly.

I wonder if NFL teams have ever used this: https://www.wired.com/2016/08/wilson-just-made-smartest-football-time/

It's Wilson Connected Football from 2016, which can measure a throw's distance, velocity, spin rate, and "spiral efficiency." 

In particular, I think spin rate and spiral efficiency (a measure of how small the circle 'drawn' by the nose of the ball is / a measure of wobble) could be useful indicators of accuracy. Obviously, a higher spin rate and less wobble makes a pass more accurate, but as this old SportsScience video shows, there could be some amount of wobble that could be good to have: 

. The video says that Brees threw (dated 2009) each pass at 600 RPMs with "3 wobbles per 5 spins" of the ball, which was part of what the video attributes Brees' astounding accuracy to. This makes me wonder if, using technology like the Wilson Connected Football, NFL teams could (or have) collect actual meaningful data that could tell them, for example, if a college quarterback is accurate enough to play in the NFL.

Just food for thought.

• Like 4