Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

By definition, that's not a quick slant. Do you have a replay to show? Because you're not describing whatever happened clearly. If you're talking about choice routes, yes, plenty of college offenses have them.

Probably not. Ensminger was running a system out of the 1990's before Brady modernized it.

I haven't used any insults. I noted that three of your opinions were bad.

3:04 mark on a pass to Marshall, 5:30 mark pass to Edwards-Helaire in just this clip show, there are others not included in this game which there were similar routes to these, I assume they have ran it constantly during the year.  Would take more time to look back at all the throws he made this season.  

Clearly is different than any of these standard routes, I would not call it a choice route but could be just terminology one uses.    Is a nice change, especially with how well slants work in college, since in the middle of the field players cannot hit like before so offenses can attack it where 15 years ago they would never dare try.

2f131ebd9723b50d6e3c471f38f02556_crop_ex

Regardless LSU this season has a high level passing offense not seen a ton in college, sure some teams use some similar things but it is not ran quite like this.  Maybe it is all because of Burrow running it but it is a crazy difference of production from one year to the next.   Obviously he won the Heisman, had a nice speech and is a good kid and a great team leader so he has that box checked.  Was a little surprised how he made it seem like Ed O saved his career when honestly they were lucky to get him, he was not that bad on Ohio State and it showed in the spring games he had there.  Tons of teams wanted him when he said he was going to transfer, he just went to one of the higher profile programs where he would get a chance to start right away at QB and did.  Will be curious if Joe Brady goes where he gets drafted in the NFL because that would make a ton of sense, based on the chemistry Joe Brady and him have this year in terms of play calling and offensive schemes.  They are totally in line with each other.

If you want to talk bad opinions I could throw out some of yours over the years but that would be an insult wouldn't it.  

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

3:04 mark on a pass to Marshall, 5:30 mark pass to Edwards-Helaire in just this clip show, there are others not included in this game which there were similar routes to these, I assume they have ran it constantly during the year.  Would take more time to look back at all the throws he made this season.  

Clearly is different than any of these standard routes, I would not call it a choice route but could be just terminology one uses.    Is a nice change, especially with how well slants work in college, since in the middle of the field players cannot hit like before so offenses can attack it where 15 years ago they would never dare try.

2f131ebd9723b50d6e3c471f38f02556_crop_ex

Regardless LSU this season has a high level passing offense not seen a ton in college, sure some teams use some similar things but it is not ran quite like this.  Maybe it is all because of Burrow running it but it is a crazy difference of production from one year to the next.   Obviously he won the Heisman, had a nice speech and is a good kid and a great team leader so he has that box checked.  Was a little surprised how he made it seem like Ed O saved his career when honestly they were lucky to get him, he was not that bad on Ohio State and it showed in the spring games he had there.  Tons of teams wanted him when he said he was going to transfer, he just went to one of the higher profile programs where he would get a chance to start right away at QB and did.  Will be curious if Joe Brady goes where he gets drafted in the NFL because that would make a ton of sense, based on the chemistry Joe Brady and him have this year in terms of play calling and offensive schemes.  They are totally in line with each other.

If you want to talk bad opinions I could throw out some of yours over the years but that would be an insult wouldn't it.  

The first TD (JC) is a corner/banana route with an inside release. Plenty of teams use that play. You're just seeing it out of a bunch set. The second TD (CEH) looks be an angle route from the HB. Again, you see that used plenty often. It's very effective with shifty HBs against LBs in man coverage. The Saints love using it with Kamara.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 3:18 PM, Ozzy said:

Things change when expectations change and the hype Burrow is getting, next Tom Brady type hype.  Good luck with freaking that one.  

I don't think that people realistically expect him to be Tom Brady.  But if they believe he's a franchise QB, they'd be stupid to pass on him.  There's not a position in any professional sports that has a big an impact on a teams' success as QB does in the NFL.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

How would you guys rank Burrow as a prospect versus the top quarterbacks taken in the last 5 or so years?

Since 2015:

(Pre Draft/Prospect)

1) Carson

2) Joe Burrow

3) Tua

4) Sam Darnold

5) Kyler Murray

I was not a fan of Mariota/Goff at all. I did like Winston but not Top 10 pick type of love.  

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

@VanS You are the most notorious traits matter most QB guy on here, so what do you think of Jordan Love? Drawing a lot of Mahomes comparisons and would need to sit a year. 

What does everyone else think of Love?

Haven't really watched him a lot but from the little I've seen I don't see anything remarkable.  Would I take him ahead of the other QBs in this class?  Sure.  But that's not saying a lot since I think this class is really weak.  Also I don't see the Mahomes comparison at all.   As a passer Jordan Love reminds me of Marcus Mariota when he was at Oregon.

There are no 1st round caliber QBs in this draft IMO.

48 minutes ago, VanS said:

Haven't really watched him a lot but from the little I've seen I don't see anything remarkable.  Would I take him ahead of the other QBs in this class?  Sure.  But that's not saying a lot since I think this class is really weak.  Also I don't see the Mahomes comparison at all.   As a passer Jordan Love reminds me of Marcus Mariota when he was at Oregon.

There are no 1st round caliber QBs in this draft IMO.

If Tu'a didn't have his injury concerns, would you consider him a 1st round caliber QB?

If not, why?

On 12/17/2019 at 7:58 AM, SmittyBacall said:

How would you guys rank Burrow as a prospect versus the top quarterbacks taken in the last 5 or so years?

My 2020 QB rankings aren't finalized, so these are fluid.

Joe Burrow (2020)
Jared Goff (2016)
Tua Tagovailola (2020)
Carson Wentz (2016)
Josh Rosen (2018)
Sam Darnold (2018)
Justin Herbert (2020)

Those are the only QBs I've given first round grades to since 2016.

• Like 1

This QB class is gross right now and my personal favorite dark horse (Costello) has entered the transfer portal and probably won't declare. 

Burrow is probably the only surefire 1st rounder with Tua being 1st/2nd or lower (depends on the meds for now). After those two......it gets ugly quick. I'm not a fan of Herbert whatsoever. 

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

This QB class is gross right now and my personal favorite dark horse (Costello) has entered the transfer portal and probably won't declare. 

Burrow is probably the only surefire 1st rounder with Tua being 1st/2nd or lower (depends on the meds for now). After those two......it gets ugly quick. I'm not a fan of Herbert whatsoever. 

Damn and you have an Oregon Ducks avy. 

I'd still take Tua as the 2nd QB in this draft class, especially if you have someone you're relatively confident can string you along for one more season. Patriots, Chargers, Saints all come to mind. Buccaneers could also just sign somebody on a 1 year deal and it wouldn't be much of a drop off from Winston. Panthers are another option.

Edited by Danger

4 hours ago, Danger said:

Damn and you have an Oregon Ducks avy. 

I'd still take Tua as the 2nd QB in this draft class, especially if you have someone you're relatively confident can string you along for one more season. Patriots, Chargers, Saints all come to mind. Buccaneers could also just sign somebody on a 1 year deal and it wouldn't be much of a drop off from Winston. Panthers are another option.

Herbert has the warmest blood a QB has ever had. He's not terrible, but I don't see 1st round franchise guy. I can't recall many moments he rose to the occasion to win games, but I can recall several where he arguably lost them for us. I'm not one to gush over raw tools or size/speed at the QB position. It may be a bit harsh, but I view Herbert as a similar prospect to Steven Montez with the benefit of playing for a better program. 

Barring someone currently ranked between 3 and 6 shooting up the boards, I totally agree with you on Tua. I could see him as the 3rd QB taken in some cases, but they're extremely limited.