Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Herbert has the warmest blood a QB has ever had. He's not terrible, but I don't see 1st round franchise guy. I can't recall many moments he rose to the occasion to win games, but I can recall several where he arguably lost them for us. I'm not one to gush over raw tools or size/speed at the QB position. It may be a bit harsh, but I view Herbert as a similar prospect to Steven Montez with the benefit of playing for a better program. 

Barring someone currently ranked between 3 and 6 shooting up the boards, I totally agree with you on Tua. I could see him as the 3rd QB taken in some cases, but they're extremely limited.

Maybe I've only watched limited film on Herbert but he definitely seems like a 1 read inaccurate passer, and that's what worries me the most.

• Like 1

Herbert never really wowed me but there will be multiple teams drooling over him. Just in terms of size, mobility. There will be a bunch of teams who will think he's just needs the handcuffs taking off. I can see NFL personal blaming his conservative play on the Oregon coaching staff. Its how they think. I definitely see him drafted in the top 10.

8 hours ago, raidersedge said:

Herbert never really wowed me but there will be multiple teams drooling over him. Just in terms of size, mobility. There will be a bunch of teams who will think he's just needs the handcuffs taking off. I can see NFL personal blaming his conservative play on the Oregon coaching staff. Its how they think. I definitely see him drafted in the top 10.

And it will be example number eleventy billion of scouts looking for the wrong things

I think there's little chance Herbert goes in round one. I think it's easy to think that NFL teams just look at arm strength and size and pencil guys into the first round, but if that were true guys like Jarret Stidham, Ryan Mallett, and Logan Thomas would have been easy first rounders.

Aside from size and arm strength, Herbert has no other redeeming qualities. He's inaccurate, has still feet in the pocket, doesn't have good mobility, and apparently doesn't see the field well. I've been penciling in Jacob Eason in place of Herbert in the top 10 and omitting Herbert entirely from round one in the mocks I've been working on. He'd be lucky to go in the second.

Speaking of Eason, I'm a little surprised he isn't getting surefire first round love. He reminds me a lot of Carson Wentz, arm talent-wise.

Edited by Rich7sena

On 12/19/2019 at 11:32 AM, Danger said:

Maybe I've only watched limited film on Herbert but he definitely seems like a 1 read inaccurate passer, and that's what worries me the most.

He reads just fine. He is inaccurate sometimes. lol at isn't mobile, though. This dude will probably run a 4.6 40

I have said that I don't want us in the 1st, but I would rather we draft him in the 1st than Fromm in the 2nd.

4 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

He reads just fine. He is inaccurate sometimes. lol at isn't mobile, though. This dude will probably run a 4.6 40

I have said that I don't want us in the 1st, but I would rather we draft him in the 1st than Fromm in the 2nd.

I never said he wasn't mobile. From what I've seen he reminds me of Josh Allen with a lesser arm frankly.

On 12/20/2019 at 2:36 PM, Rich7sena said:

I think there's little chance Herbert goes in round one. I think it's easy to think that NFL teams just look at arm strength and size and pencil guys into the first round, but if that were true guys like Jarret Stidham, Ryan Mallett, and Logan Thomas would have been easy first rounders.

Aside from size and arm strength, Herbert has no other redeeming qualities. He's inaccurate, has still feet in the pocket, doesn't have good mobility, and apparently doesn't see the field well. I've been penciling in Jacob Eason in place of Herbert in the top 10 and omitting Herbert entirely from round one in the mocks I've been working on. He'd be lucky to go in the second.

Speaking of Eason, I'm a little surprised he isn't getting surefire first round love. He reminds me a lot of Carson Wentz, arm talent-wise.

Josh Allen and Josh Rosen were both 1st round picks. No chance Herbert falls out of the 1st with all of the terrible QBs in the league thus year someone will draft him. I actually think it'll be my Chargers that do it, but I hope we get him better coaches because he may not fit our system. 

33 minutes ago, Classic said:

Josh Allen and Josh Rosen were both 1st round picks. No chance Herbert falls out of the 1st with all of the terrible QBs in the league thus year someone will draft him. I actually think it'll be my Chargers that do it, but I hope we get him better coaches because he may not fit our system. 

Both Allen and Rosen were discernibly better quarterback prospects than Herbert coming out. Allen had a stronger and more accurate arm; was more mobile; and played in a pro-style offense. Rosen had the 5-star pedigree and flashed big performances since he was a freshman.

7 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Both Allen and Rosen were discernibly better quarterback prospects than Herbert coming out. Allen had a stronger and more accurate arm; was more mobile; and played in a pro-style offense. Rosen had the 5-star pedigree and flashed big performances since he was a freshman.

Who cares about his status a high schooler. I have a hard time seeing Rosen being a better prospect. Allen is a superior athlete than Herbert but he isn't more accurate. I know about Oregon passing game inflating completion percentage but the difference between the two is staggering. I could see Herbert dropping in the 1st but I can't see him not being 1st rounder.

1 hour ago, Classic said:

Who cares about his status a high schooler. I have a hard time seeing Rosen being a better prospect. Allen is a superior athlete than Herbert but he isn't more accurate. I know about Oregon passing game inflating completion percentage but the difference between the two is staggering. I could see Herbert dropping in the 1st but I can't see him not being 1st rounder.

NFL teams have shown a propensity to care about high school pedigree--especially when pared with a productive freshman campaign (e.g. Christian Hackenberg; Christian Ponder; Mitch Trubisky). But more importantly Rosen showed advanced pocket mobility and flashed highlight reel downfield throws. I, personally, was not a big Rosen fan but I understood why he would go in the first round and why some liked him best among the group.

Allen, on the other hand, was pretty much the opposite of Rosen in that he possessed a lot of raw material that was easy to see but did not produce well given the lackluster surrounding talent and Allen's own slow passing vision. Still, he showed the ability to make high degree of difficulty throws downfield and threaten the defense with his legs which made him Cam Newton-esque. In short, Allen had wheels and impressive arm talent (strength + accuracy downfield).

Herbert shows little in terms of his overall arm talent and mobility. And he isn't a polished prospect like Rosen. Ultimately, his lack of redeeming traits makes him more like the players I mentioned who went much later in the draft than Allen or Rosen.

1 hour ago, tannenballs said:

Love > Herbert

I agree and I don't necessarily love Love. Unlike Herbert, however, I can definitely see a likely path for NFL success for Love. My comp for him is Jameis Winston.

However, as I said in a previous post on this page, give me Eason over both.

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I agree and I don't necessarily love Love. Unlike Herbert, however, I can definitely see a likely path for NFL success for Love. My comp for him is Jameis Winston.

However, as I said in a previous post on this page, give me Eason over both.

Do you think Eason declares?