Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

The amount of Lions fans who are putting down Tua and saying he's not worth the #3 pick is blowing my mind. I mean, saying even if he's healthy and ready to go. Mostly on local radio and stuff but even here. Am I out of my mind to think that, assuming he's healthy, he's a better prospect than Burrow?

69% completions. 87 touchdowns, 11 picks. Came in at halftime of the natty, a freshman, team down 13-0, and won it. Went on to help evolve the best program in the nation from practically an option team to a dynamic passing attack. Burrow was great for one year and in his other years he couldn't get on the field.

The Lions would be idiots not to take him unless they get a sweet, sweet package from someone to trade down. If they pass on him at #3 for Okudah or someone else, they should be launched out of a cannon. If Tua hadn't had the hip injury and had finished out the season, another trip to the natty or not, he would be the #1 pick no questions asked, that's what I think.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 3

On 1/18/2020 at 7:04 PM, goldfishwars said:

Has Herbert ever thrown a pass that isn't a 1,000mph fast ball?

No kidding. Same thing with Eason. When I watched that Washington/Oregon game it was one mindless line drive after another from both sides, especially on throws over the middle. If I remember correctly the game ended with Eason flailing one 100 mph and missing an open receiver on 4th and short. 

I prefer quarterbacks who can throw the rainbow, who can vary the arch and use every 1 mph increment when the evolving situation calls for it. I don't see that from either Herbert or Eason.

Jordan Love, on the other hand, does have the ideal drop in the bucket touch along with Burrow and Tua. Love was pure swagger in 2018. I have a difficult time believing that was a mirage and is gone forever. A program like than cannot afford all the personnel and coaching losses that Utah State sustained after 2018. When the trend is obvious the result tends to be even more extreme, like stock market futures that are way down resulting in an even more red day than projected. I have no idea why so many people use 2019 to evaluate Jordan Love when there were so many warnings of what would happen to that program and specifically that offense from one season to the next.

The only caveat with Herbert is that he's been in such a ridiculous 90 degree offense with the first look to a swing pass or screen. Allow him to drop back in a conventional offense with downfield focus and perhaps he'll relax and be able to relax and vary his game. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

The amount of Lions fans who are putting down Tua and saying he's not worth the #3 pick is blowing my mind. I mean, saying even if he's healthy and ready to go. Mostly on local radio and stuff but even here. Am I out of my mind to think that, assuming he's healthy, he's a better prospect than Burrow?

Opinion of Tua is a phenomenal litmus test, one of the best I have ever seen. Bar stool fans got sick of all the praise toward him, and are jealous/hateful toward the program he represents, so they brainstormed that Tua is massively overrated. I've seen it among Dolphins fans and all over the place. It has no relationship to the caliber of player. 

Edited by Awsi Dooger

6 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Opinion of Tua is a phenomenal litmus test, one of the best I have ever seen. Bar stool fans got sick of all the praise toward him, and are jealous/hateful toward the program he represents, so they brainstormed that Tua is massively overrated. I've seen it among Dolphins fans and all over the place. It has no relationship to the caliber of player. 

The thing is, Detroit fans did the exact same thing with Stafford. 50% wanted Aaron Curry instead - at #1 overall! - 20% wanted Jason Smith, and 10% said if you have to take a QB, take Mark Sanchez.

2 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

The thing is, Detroit fans did the exact same thing with Stafford. 50% wanted Aaron Curry instead - at #1 overall! - 20% wanted Jason Smith, and 10% said if you have to take a QB, take Mark Sanchez.

So if Tua is the pick, what do you guys do with Stafford? Trade him to the Patriots? 

Just now, Steins Gate said:

So if Tua is the pick, what do you guys do with Stafford? Trade him to the Patriots? 

If they wanted to trade him, I bet there are 10 teams that would be plausible destinations.

They could also keep him and sit Tua for a year, then trade him next year when the cap hit would be less. Or let's say Stafford, with a little heat on him finally, blows up, shows his back is healthy, and leads them to a playoff win or better. Then you could trade Tua.

1 minute ago, Superduperman said:

If they wanted to trade him, I bet there are 10 teams that would be plausible destinations.

They could also keep him and sit Tua for a year, then trade him next year when the cap hit would be less. Or let's say Stafford, with a little heat on him finally, blows up, shows his back is healthy, and leads them to a playoff win or better. Then you could trade Tua.

FYI, I was joking about the Patriots. 

In all seriousness, Detroit would have a Brett Favre / Aaron Rodgers type situation. They could let Tua sit for a year or two, heal up, and learn while letting Stafford play. 

My only gripe about Tua is the injury history. But you Lions fans have been dealing with injury prone QBs for a while. So it's par for the course. 

On 18/01/2020 at 5:04 PM, goldfishwars said:

Has Herbert ever thrown a pass that isn't a 1,000mph fast ball?

The thing that weirds me out with Herbert is that most of those 1,000mph fastballs still somehow come out ugly too.

Not just lack of touch, or lacking accuracy.  But just muscled awkwardly in a direction.

Fastest ducks on the planet maybe.  Which i guess is fitting.  Maybe Oregon can make one of his passes into their mascot.

But it just never looks "easy" or "natural" to me.  It's not that easy velocity guys like Josh Allen have.  It's like Herbert is really making an effort to throw it way too hard for a situation.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

The thing that weirds me out with Herbert is that most of those 1,000mph fastballs still somehow come out ugly too.

Not just lack of touch, or lacking accuracy.  But just muscled awkwardly in a direction.

Fastest ducks on the planet maybe.  Which i guess is fitting.  Maybe Oregon can make one of his passes into their mascot.

But it just never looks "easy" or "natural" to me.  It's not that easy velocity guys like Josh Allen have.  It's like Herbert is really making an effort to throw it way too hard for a situation.

Yeah, thats what I get from Herbert too. Its the most concerning thing with him for me. It just feels like the game doesn't come naturally to him at times and that spells disaster at the NFL level when the game is so fast. He reminds me of Brett Hundley in that way.