Riley Ridley Impressig In OTAs

soulman

Riley Ridley impressing with route running and speed in OTAs

bears-riley-ridley.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop

Bears GM Ryan Pace has been known for snagging late-round steals in the NFL Draft. Steals like fourth-round picks Eddie Jackson and Tarik Cohen.

It seems the Bears might’ve gotten another fourth-round gem in Georgia receiver Riley Ridley.

Inhabit;ord=1813566750506.972;dc_seg=756255014?

While the Bears’ roster is rich in receiver talent, Ridley has already made the most of his offseason opportunities. He’s been one of the headlines at OTAs, praised for his not only his route running but his speed on the football field.

Bears fans are going to enjoy watching Riley Ridley at training camp. Early observation from OTAs is how smooth his route running is. On the practice field, he looks and seems to play faster than his timed speed.

Coming out of college, Ridley was praised for his route running. His speed, not so much. But it sounds like Ridley has been playing a lot faster than his timed speed has indicated.

“That’s an advantage for him,” receivers coach Mike Furrey said, “understanding what words speak to him in the huddle — because it’s a lot of words — and being able to now go function with what his assignment is…his missed assignments are so far below a normal rookie, and I think a lot of that contributes to him being in a system, like that coming from college.”

Ridley will challenge, among others, former Georgia teammate Javon Wims and Missouri’s Emmanuel Hall for a coveted receiver spot on the Bears’ roster.

The Bears’ receiver room currently boasts talent like Allen Robinson, Anthony Miller, Taylor Gabriel and newcomer Cordarelle Patterson.

The best way for Ridley to lock up one of those roster spots is to continue to stand out on the practice field, which he’s done often this offseason.

7 minutes ago, soulman said:

Bears GM Ryan Pace has been known for snagging late-round steals in the NFL Draft. Steals like fourth-round picks Eddie Jackson and Tarik Cohen.

I'm beginning to think Pace should just trade his top pick for more 2nd and 4th round picks.  So far he has a hell of a success rate with them. ;)

• Like 1

I realize different body types and not poo pooing Ridley, but when Wims and Ridley were together Wims was Fromm's go to guy and looked more impressive in games.

Be kind of sad for Wims if Ridley forces him off team due to draft slot and not on field play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I realize different body types and not poo pooing Ridley, but when Wims and Ridley were together Wims was Fromm's go to guy and looked more impressive in games.

Be kind of sad for Wims if Ridley forces him off team due to draft slot and not on field play. 

Dont see that happening.  Not that Wims spot is a lock, but what I have heard is there are a lot of guys in HH who think they really have something in Wims.  We know 3 spots are locks, a 4th is likely a lock, that really leaves 2 spots with 4 guys fighting for them.  Both Ridley and Wims could conceivably make it.  It's possible the Bears keep 7 WRs as well.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Dont see that happening.  Not that Wims spot is a lock, but what I have heard is there are a lot of guys in HH who think they really have something in Wims.  We know 3 spots are locks, a 4th is likely a lock, that really leaves 2 spots with 4 guys fighting for them.  Both Ridley and Wims could conceivably make it.  It's possible the Bears keep 7 WRs as well.

Nor do I and as for spending a 4th round pick on another WR not only was Ridley a "BPA Gift" at that point but also a pick where Pace could be looking ahead.  This is about more than just 2019.

In 2018 he spent big on three pass catchers all of whom have significant 2020 cap hits. 

ARob = $15 mil; Gabriel = $6.5 mil; Burton = $8.55 mil.  That's $30 mil worth of cap space tied up in just three players.

So you gotta believe that Pace is looking for at least one or more of his younger guys; Miller, Ridley, Wims, and Hall to ascend and take over at least the #2 and #3 positions and possibly even the #1 if ARob simply becomes unaffordable.

The same is probably true at TE when by 2021 Burton could be replaced with a less expensive option so I look for Pace to keep adding TEs to the mix as well.  It's also possible a big body WR like Wims could also become a "U" type receiver.

47 minutes ago, soulman said:

Nor do I and as for spending a 4th round pick on another WR not only was Ridley a "BPA Gift" at that point but also a pick where Pace could be looking ahead.  This is about more than just 2019.

In 2018 he spent big on three pass catchers all of whom have significant 2020 cap hits. 

ARob = $15 mil; Gabriel = $6.5 mil; Burton = $8.55 mil.  That's $30 mil worth of cap space tied up in just three players.

So you gotta believe that Pace is looking for at least one or more of his younger guys; Miller, Ridley, Wims, and Hall to ascend and take over at least the #2 and #3 positions and possibly even the #1 if ARob simply becomes unaffordable.

The same is probably true at TE when by 2021 Burton could be replaced with a less expensive option so I look for Pace to keep adding TEs to the mix as well.  It's also possible a big body WR like Wims could also become a "U" type receiver.

Many assume they are going to dump ARod for cap reasons next year or year after.   ARod at his best is a clear number 1 WR and far better talent wise than any other WR on Bears roster.  He hasn't been at his best in several years so people forget what he is capable of.  He is still young at 25 or 26 so no reason to think he has even hit his ceiling.   He could be one of surprise players of 2019.  This might be a guy whose cap number goes up not down based off on field play or at least someone who is controversial to let go.  

We don't even know what new labor agreement is going to look like anyway.  Cap might jump a ton.  There might be a lock out or a strike.  Might be replacement players.  

I am just going to enjoy next two seasons and not worry about cap.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Many assume they are going to dump ARod for cap reasons next year or year after.   ARod at his best is a clear number 1 WR and far better talent wise than any other WR on Bears roster.  He hasn't been at his best in several years so people forget what he is capable of.  He is still young at 25 or 26 so no reason to think he has even hit his ceiling.   He could be one of surprise players of 2019.  This might be a guy whose cap number goes up not down based off on field play or at least someone who is controversial to let go.  

We don't even know what new labor agreement is going to look like anyway.  Cap might jump a ton.  There might be a lock out or a strike.  Might be replacement players.  

I am just going to enjoy next two seasons and not worry about cap.  

Nor will I and in all honesty ARob is probably the least likely guy to be released for cap reasons but 2020 is the final year of his current deal which means as early as next spring or earlier Pace will have to decide whether or not to look at negotiating an extension with him.

His cap hit is a level $15 mil for both 2019 and 2020 but then his deal ends.

So it's not all about dumping him at all but more along the lines of extending him beyond 2020 vs a possibility that Ridley or Miller as a pair along with Wims and possibly Hall or another future draftee can ascend well enough to replace him.  That's the decision Pace will need to make.

3 hours ago, soulman said:

Nor will I and in all honesty ARob is probably the least likely guy to be released for cap reasons but 2020 is the final year of his current deal which means as early as next spring or earlier Pace will have to decide whether or not to look at negotiating an extension with him.

His cap hit is a level $15 mil for both 2019 and 2020 but then his deal ends.

So it's not all about dumping him at all but more along the lines of extending him beyond 2020 vs a possibility that Ridley or Miller as a pair along with Wims and possibly Hall or another future draftee can ascend well enough to replace him.  That's the decision Pace will need to make.

I am okay with revisiting every year or just letting him finish contract.

But people are cutting him next year already and that seems premature.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Many assume they are going to dump ARod for cap reasons next year or year after.   ARod at his best is a clear number 1 WR and far better talent wise than any other WR on Bears roster.  He hasn't been at his best in several years so people forget what he is capable of.  He is still young at 25 or 26 so no reason to think he has even hit his ceiling.   He could be one of surprise players of 2019. 

Preach. :) I still believe in Miller, though...

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I am okay with revisiting every year or just letting him finish contract.

But people are cutting him next year already and that seems premature.

No way.  I'd be more likely to bet on an extension if it's affordable.  That said I believe both Miller and Ridley will surprise us.