Jets Hire GM Joe Douglas

Sapo28

1 hour ago, Rich51 said:

So the eagles (with Douglas) resigned Wentz last week to a 4 year extension at 128m or 32 per year. But by doing it now, they are able to spread it over six years. So with his 4th and 5th year salaries included it only(😚) comes out to a little over 26m.  I think it’s smart because surely the salaries will only go up in the next two years.  Hopefully Sam can develop  over the next two years and get the same treatment.

By the time Darnold could seek for new contract, it would be somewhat between 35-40m annually, depending on what new CBA will be.  

Jets already opened their wallet wider to get Joe Douglas but what about the rest of top positions in FO?  Phil Savage and Todd McShay ain't that cheap.  His puppets from Philly or Chad Alexander could fill out those positions with one price of either Savage or McShay.  umm.

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

Jets already opened their wallet wider to get Joe Douglas but what about the rest of top positions in FO?  Phil Savage and Todd McShay ain't that cheap.  His puppets from Philly or Chad Alexander could fill out those positions with one price of either Savage or McShay.  umm.

Douglas has budget for his staff, likely a sizable one, he’ll allocate those dollars properly. 

Well you might as well add Mel Kiper in there too. No I'm just kidding. I don't like Mel at all.  I still want to see Phil Savage and Scot Pioli on the team too. I'm so glad we got ahead of the Texans for a new GM. I thought it was funny how we got ride of Mac so fast after the draft and thought no one really does this than boom Texans fire their GM a few weeks later. I'm wondering if this is going to be something normal or is this just a crazy time in football that we will probably not see 2 GM fired right after the draft. 

11 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Well you might as well add Mel Kiper in there too. No I'm just kidding. I don't like Mel at all.  I still want to see Phil Savage and Scot Pioli on the team too. I'm so glad we got ahead of the Texans for a new GM. I thought it was funny how we got ride of Mac so fast after the draft and thought no one really does this than boom Texans fire their GM a few weeks later. I'm wondering if this is going to be something normal or is this just a crazy time in football that we will probably not see 2 GM fired right after the draft. 

Outside of a lame duck GM drafting for a team...I think it makes the most sense to fire your GM post draft. You give a GM a full year to scout with his own guys rather than waste the majority of a scouting year by firing a GM at the end of the season. 

You fire a GM In January and the new GM has 2.5  months to draft with some other GM's scouting department.

• Like 2

I love that he said after QB the most important pieces are the OL and DL. 

“Douglas on team-building philosophy: QB is the most important position. After that, offensive and defensive lines. JD: "Football is a game of wills. We're going to try to build a team that can impose their will on other teams and to do that you have to be strong up front." 

Douglas name was attached to current/former Ravens such as 

Marshal Yanda, Ben Grubbs, CJ Mosley, Pernell McPhee, Ladarius Webb, Justin Tucker.

As Director of College Scouting he was part of the group that added

Adrian Amos, Jordan Howard, Leonard Floyd, Cody Whitehair. 

Im still digging up info on which players he helped get to Philly. 

Im sure he had a hand in adding Alshon Jeffrey and Jordan Howard.

THe Jets are set up better than a lot of jobs. Douglas pointed out having young pieces like Jamal Adams, Leonard Williams, QUinnen Williams, and Sam Darnold makes this job interesting. Also mentioned having all pros like Leveon Bell and CJ Mosley on board. 

Hopefully we finally found the team to get us relevant again. 

I like that Douglas mentioned OL and DL, because when we were relevant we had a great OL and stout DL. 

I think Joe Douglas learned his craft as part of the Ravens organization.   The Ravens liked accumulating draft  picks during the time Joe Douglas was in Baltimore.

Ravens draft history

In Philadelphia it was more of mixed accumulation of draft picks where the Eagles traded some of their picks in 2018 and 2019 drafts.   

Eagles draft with Joe Douglas

This could mean Joe Douglas will be more liberal with the Jets draft picks.  I would expect Joe Douglas to stand pat with Jets draft picks.