What's the most exciting new element to the Bills this season?

MacReady

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yes, you obviously want a top 10 or 5 QB, but the risk of getting rid of a top 18-ish QB like Taylor when you could trade that for a bust is just not the risk I'd take.  If I thought I had a QB that could be a top 16 QB for the next four to five years, I'd go with that and build my team around that.  Otherwise, you might just end up like the Jets, Browns, Bears...

The problem with that line of thinking is that you to have to draft a higher rate of success than other teams.  That means you're getting production out of early and mid-round picks that other teams are not.  If you are drafting with that kind of success rate, then having that franchise QB that can carry your team need isn't as high.  The problem is, how many teams are reliably better drafters than others?

Just now, CWood21 said:

The problem with that line of thinking is that you to have to draft a higher rate of success than other teams.  That means you're getting production out of early and mid-round picks that other teams are not.  If you are drafting with that kind of success rate, then having that franchise QB that can carry your team need isn't as high.  The problem is, how many teams are reliably better drafters than others?

I disagree in principle, but not in the case of the Bills I guess.  Most teams can use the excess cap space on free agents to fill in on positions they miss on in the draft.  Bills probably don't have that luxury playing in Buffalo, but still... A bird in hand and all that. 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

I disagree in principle, but not in the case of the Bills I guess.  Most teams can use the excess cap space on free agents to fill in on positions they miss on in the draft.  Bills probably don't have that luxury playing in Buffalo, but still... A bird in hand and all that. 

I mean, the teams you mentioned were teams that drafted successfully in recent years.  Dallas drafted Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott whose career AV is already above 10 after their rookie season, you've got Byron Jones, Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, and Anthony Hitchens who all have 10+ career AV in their 2nd or 3rd season as professional.  Most of Seattle's production has come from the 2010-2012 drafts.  Compare Buffalo to say Dallas and the difference in draft pick production is astronomical.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2017 at 6:38 PM, CWood21 said:

This is an area were small market teams really suffer unless they have a solid GM who is a superb talent appraiser like Pittsburgh has. Small market teams generally have much smaller scouting departments because their overall revenue is far smaller that big market teams and unless your owner is super rich, the money just isn't there to hire top scouts and enough scouts.

Actually, most busts in football can be found on teams where the GM is a mediocre talent appraiser, combined with a small scouting department.

Archived