Jay Gruden: Should he stay or should he go?

Woz

So, stumbling around the intertubes, I came across this:

http://www.thehogsty.com/2019/05/30/5-reasons-why-the-redskins-should-extend-jay-grudens-contract/

which also linked to the counter-argument article:

http://www.thehogsty.com/2019/03/27/five-reasons-why-jay-gruden-wont-survive-2019/

(okay, technically, the March article was the first and the one from a couple of days ago is the counter-argument, but get off my back already!)

So, the arguments that resonated with me from the "he gonez" article:

Consistent Inconsistency

The Redskins Are Boring

There Is A Head Coach-In-Waiting Already On The Staff (to a lesser extent)

especially this wonderful line:

Jay Gruden is a competent coach.  Even though his run game consists of only two plays—inside zone and inside zone for loss—his passing schemes are highly regarded around the league and many observers give him the benefit of the doubt simply because of the clown show he works for. 

And the arguments that resonated with me the "he stayz" article (and we'll be nice and not point the author back to Sesame Street for remedial counting):

New Quarterback

No Better Alternative

So, I open it up to the board (mainly because there's so little happening right now): what do you do with Jay? Extend him now, like @e16bball has suggested so that it gives Haskins some sort of stability at the coaching position for a couple of years as he adjusts to the NFL? Wait for how the team looks in the season (he does have a year beyond this one, after all)? Or is he just dead man walking (either as Allen's next sacrificial lamb or part of a "burn it all down" kind of change over)?

This is just a I don't know from me

Last season it seemed he gave up play calling early in season with Alex under center and our offense didn't look good with it.After Josh Johnson took over it looked like Jay calling the offense again,and personally believed Alex woulda preformed great in the same gameplan they gave Josh so not sure if its a + for his skill of calling a game or a Negative for not using a better one early in season with Alex.

For me him staying or going all depends on Haskins and how they mesh,I don't think Haskins fits the Jay offense Josh,Kirk,and Dalton was good in,but the Mix of the offense we ran with Alex at QB seems like Haskins is a better fit for so it might work great.

• Like 1

The biggest cop out ever is “nobody better will take the job”. There’s 32 of these jobs on the planet. But I still think they give the GM title to Kyle Smith and he makes the decision if this season goes bad. That will spell the end of the Allen/Gruden tandem. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

If Gruden-Allen are a package deal, I don't care what Gruden does this year... I want him gone.

If Allen stays when Gruden goes, I'm ambivalent. 

Gruden: I'm with Allen 100%!

Allen: He's winning? He stays! ... is he losing? Okay, he's gone.

Loyalty is a one-way street with Brice.

• Like 1

I'll never accept the No Better Alternative concept.

It is a simple supply and demand equation.  There are only 32 jobs.  Obviously there are many guys who would take the job.  

Jay should not be judged on the progress of haskins but on his own evolution.  He has some clear short comings.  He needs to take a major step forward as a head coach if he wants to remain one.  Average isn't cutting it any longer.

Seriously Gruden isn’t the worst head coach, but   should we be satisfied with a bottom 5 coach? Teams that win Super Bowls have top tier coaches that develop players and adjust systems to maximize player strengths and game plans that exploit opponents weaknesses.   The argument that he’s a young coach and will develop has been proven wrong. He’s a perfect arena ball head coach or a bartender. Asking Dumbo to do what really good coaches do will only result in perpetual disappointment for fans and may actually hurt dumbo asking him to think too much

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I wasn’t a fan of the Gruden hire, but understood after Shanny nobody worthwhile was going to take the job. 

Nothing Gruden’s done has changed my mind. 

If I’m Snyder I start asking around for a GM/ Head Coach combo that would be willing to work with Haskins. Add in the quality OL, makings of a vicious defense, roster wise this job should be pretty attractive this time around

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think the drafting of Haskins gets Gruden at least this season and next. This is the first time he’s had a rookie high drafted QB to work with and develop. I think he gets time to develop him.

Jay literally just said last week that he’s coaching for his job this year. He will be fired if we don’t make the playoffs. I’m fairly confident in that. 

When it comes to continuity with Haskins, I’m hoping they promote KOC, and give him a shot.