Jump to content
Woz

Jay Gruden: Should he stay or should he go?

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Jay literally just said last week that he’s coaching for his job this year. He will be fired if we don’t make the playoffs. I’m fairly confident in that. 

When it comes to continuity with Haskins, I’m hoping they promote KOC, and give him a shot. 

He was joking and laughing when he said that and so were all of the reporters bc taking heads, beat reporters and sports writers have segments on the topic daily so, it was just a funny.

Again, if Haskins plays this year I think that buys Jay more time no matter what the record is unless it’s like 4 wins or less.

Now, if Jay goes with Case or Colt and they lose double digit games and he refuses to play Haskins inspite of them being out of the playoffs in December then, I think he’ll get fired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, turtle28 said:

He was joking and laughing when he said that and so were all of the reporters bc taking heads, beat reporters and sports writers have segments on the topic daily so, it was just a funny.

Again, if Haskins plays this year I think that buys Jay more time no matter what the record is unless it’s like 4 wins or less.

Now, if Jay goes with Case or Colt and they lose double digit games and he refuses to play Haskins inspite of them being out of the playoffs in December then, I think he’ll get fired.

They were all joking and laughing because they all knew it was true. Keim and Finlay even said as much after. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

They were all joking and laughing because they all knew it was true. Keim and Finlay even said as much after. 

Maybe, hopefully we don’t have to find that out and they actually have a good season but I think those are long odds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Maybe, hopefully we don’t have to find that out and they actually have a good season but I think those are long odds.

As long as the next HC is a WCO guy or hires a WCO OC, I wouldn’t mind too much. Haskins’ development in the same or similar system is key. 

My preference is for Gruden to step up and be better than he has been at in-game adjustments and the like or for KOC to take over if he gets the axe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

As long as the next HC is a WCO guy or hires a WCO OC, I wouldn’t mind too much. Haskins’ development in the same or similar system is key. 

My preference is for Gruden to step up and be better than he has been at in-game adjustments and the like or for KOC to take over if he gets the axe. 

I definitely agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Thursday, June 06, 2019 at 5:49 AM, turtle28 said:

I think the drafting of Haskins gets Gruden at least this season and next. This is the first time he’s had a rookie high drafted QB to work with and develop. I think he gets time to develop him.

This would be the best long term solution if Snyder and Allenwood have half a brain cells between them.  However when it comes to football matters that is questionable.   :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think with the drafting of Haskins that it buys Gruden and Allen at least 3 more seasons to see how Haskins develops. I know that sucks and people don't want to hear it, especially bc I think we lose 10 to 13 games this year but I just think they get time to develop Haskins first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From this thread:

On 6/26/2019 at 7:17 AM, turtle28 said:

I think with the drafting of Haskins that it buys Gruden and Allen at least 3 more seasons to see how Haskins develops.

From the "My personal take ..." thread

On 6/26/2019 at 6:08 AM, turtle28 said:

I’ll remain consistent, I don’t like our chances this year. Our schedule is brutal to start the season and mostly overall. On top of that this offseason is the we have the most questionmarks at QB than what we’ve had since RG3 was coming back from his knee injury in 2013 or even all the way back to 2011. I think Keenum starts the season but we open up 1-4 or even 0-5 bc our passing game struggles to get in sync with inconsistent WRs  and for the second year in a row a new starter at QB.

Then, I think in week 6 the D’Wayne Haskins era begins and we beat Miami. I think he brings some life to our passing game with his big arm.

We finish the season 3-7, 4-6 at best for anywhere from 4 to 6 wins on the year. We’re going to play like doody for Jeudy - the WR from Alabama - and next year our starting WRs are Jeudy & MCLarin.

 

There's no way that Gruden gets another year if they ends up with six or less wins (your numbers also don't add up to 16, but it isn't like it matters). Even with a rookie QB.

Allen, unfortunately, might skate through, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen nothing from Gruden that makes me want to extend him.  

I've also seen nothing from the chiefs in the front office that would make a legitimate hire- whether an experienced coach like Shanahan or a hot assistant coach- takes the job.  While Kyle Smith has influence over the draft, this is still Bruce and Danny's BBQ, and who wants to sign up for it?  

At this point, their best option is to promote Kevin O'Connell as an in-house candidate if they plan to move on from Gruden.  He actually does have some promise, and would be one of the few upside assistants who would consider the job.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×