Gerald McCoy to sign with Carolina Panthers

AFlaccoSeagulls

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Cleveland: Brightest future; Best QB, gets to play alongside Myles Garrett, Olivier Vernon, Larry Ogunjobi, and Sheldon Richardson.

Ravens: Historically dominant defenses; gets to play amongst other great defensive players. Would likely get the most PT here.

Panthers: ....not sure. Unless the Ravens and Browns supremely lowballed him on a contract, I can't imagine why he felt that Carolina offered him the best situation. I was under the assumption that they had 2 entrenched starters at DT already.

You didn't even try to list positives for the Panthers like you did for the other teams though.  Heck for the Ravens you didn't even mention anything about the current team, just how historically good their defenses were.

The Panthers and Ravens have had a similar level of success the last 5 years, if not more-so for the Panthers (46-33-1 with 3 playoff appearances and a Super Bowl app vs 42-38 for Ravens with 2 playoff appearances), and Panthers were one of the best teams in the NFL last year until Cam got re-injured vs Pittsburgh.  And in fact, the Panthers clapped the heck out of the Ravens at one point.

Playing with Garrett/Vernon/Ogunjobi/Richardson is listed as a positive for the Browns, but playing with all the good to great players in the Panthers front seven isn't.  

But at least with the Browns, I kinda get.  Its hard not to get excited about them.  But I don't understand the narrative that the Ravens have this much more of a chance than the Panthers to make the playoffs.  It isn't like one team has been that far ahead of the other over the last 2-3-4-5 years or whatever time-frame we wanna use.  What exactly do the Ravens do that much better than the Panthers?  We have the better QB, RB, WRs, TEs, DL, and LBs.  I can't really say with the OL because both teams seem strong there, and the Ravens definitely have better DBs (3 of the 4 starters for the Panthers are solid, but the depth isn't very good other than Cockrell).

And I mean, at the end of the day, its all offseason talk.  Ravens could very well turn out better than the Panthers.  I'm just not seeing the argument that the Ravens are on some other level that McCoy should have left the Panthers out of the conversation but not them.  If we're saying the Browns should have been chosen over the Panthers because Mayfield > Newton, if true, then why is the same not said for Panthers over Ravens because Newton >>> Jackson?

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

im not sure how ravens fans are upset he passed on them. From an outside perspective the Ravens are rebuilding and have no real identity especially on the defense after letting so many veterans go. Im not saying the Ravens wont be good I just dont think they are playoff contenders this year as they are taking a step back from what they were last year. The defense is what kept that team alive and they dismantled it to start younger so I see them more of an 8-8 team at best then a playoff contender. Maybe I will be wrong but I dont see McCoy passing on Ravens to sign with Panthers just to stick it to Tampa twice a year. Carolina's defense is ready to be a contender in their division this year while ravens may be 2-3 years out from being ready on defense. Signing a 1 year deal allows him to show his talents in hopes of landing a decent 2-4 year contract on another team before he retires. 

From a Browns fan, this is a good signing for Carolina. We were just trying to be greedy IMO (which is fine), Carolina needs him more than we do, him and Short present the best pass rushing DT combo in the NFL by a pretty large margin. This will help out their outside rush tremendously, smart signing by them.

As far as the Browns, we can find some quality depth when roster cuts come for a lot cheaper

Edited by MSURacerDT55

17 hours ago, iknowcool said:

On passing downs, I'm not sure I can think of a better interior pass rushing duo in the NFL right now than McCoy and Short.  

Watt-Clowney

Cox-Jernigan/Jackson

Allen-Ioannidis

Donald-anyone

• Like 6

I never bought into the hype of him going to the Browns or Ravens once Carolina or any other NFCS team became a realistic option.

This is about playing against TB and trying to stick it to thier FO and Coaching staff as much as possible for the pi$$ poor way they handled the entire situation the past few months.

Just as it was for DeSean Jackson to the Redskins,  TO to the Cowboys  and eventually Brett Farve to the Vikings in years past. Happens all the time! Revenge is a strong Motivational tool for a player who feels disrespected and discarded after years of service. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

51 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I never bought into the hype of him going to the Browns or Ravens once Carolina or any other NFCS team became a realistic option.

This is about playing against TB and trying to stick it to thier FO and Coaching staff as much as possible for the pi$$ poor way they handled the entire situation the past few months.

Just as it was for DeSean Jackson to the Redskins,  TO to the Cowboys  and eventually Brett Farve to the Vikings in years past. Happens all the time! Revenge is a strong Motivational tool for a player who feels disrespected and discarded after years of service. 

Tbh McCoy needed something like that to light a fire under him. He’ll probably play well in both games against the Bucs, partly because he’s motivated and partly because our LG sucks. I won’t be too upset if he does - the player capable of playing at that level wouldn’t have existed had he stayed in Tampa.

Could we have handled the situation better? Probably. Did we make the right decision to let him go? Based on his declining play, yes.

7 hours ago, iknowcool said:

You didn't even try to list positives for the Panthers like you did for the other teams though.  Heck for the Ravens you didn't even mention anything about the current team, just how historically good their defenses were.

The Panthers and Ravens have had a similar level of success the last 5 years, if not more-so for the Panthers (46-33-1 with 3 playoff appearances and a Super Bowl app vs 42-38 for Ravens with 2 playoff appearances), and Panthers were one of the best teams in the NFL last year until Cam got re-injured vs Pittsburgh.  And in fact, the Panthers clapped the heck out of the Ravens at one point.

Playing with Garrett/Vernon/Ogunjobi/Richardson is listed as a positive for the Browns, but playing with all the good to great players in the Panthers front seven isn't.  

But at least with the Browns, I kinda get.  Its hard not to get excited about them.  But I don't understand the narrative that the Ravens have this much more of a chance than the Panthers to make the playoffs.  It isn't like one team has been that far ahead of the other over the last 2-3-4-5 years or whatever time-frame we wanna use.  What exactly do the Ravens do that much better than the Panthers?  We have the better QB, RB, WRs, TEs, DL, and LBs.  I can't really say with the OL because both teams seem strong there, and the Ravens definitely have better DBs (3 of the 4 starters for the Panthers are solid, but the depth isn't very good other than Cockrell).

And I mean, at the end of the day, its all offseason talk.  Ravens could very well turn out better than the Panthers.  I'm just not seeing the argument that the Ravens are on some other level that McCoy should have left the Panthers out of the conversation but not them.  If we're saying the Browns should have been chosen over the Panthers because Mayfield > Newton, if true, then why is the same not said for Panthers over Ravens because Newton >>> Jackson?

Isn’t Cam Newton gonna miss a large portion of the season? That equals trouble. 

There's nothing to suggest Cam is going to miss any portion of the season. He's already throwing.

That said I wish we'd signed a free safety with that money. Having a good free safety would be fun. Remember those two seasons from Mike Mitchell and Kurt Coleman in 13 and 15? Good times.

Poe, McCoy, Short, Love, Butler... it seems just a tiny bit excessive. That's a lot of money that's gonna be sitting on the bench when we dip into a 4-3, assuming we don't have Short line up at DE (which he has done a handful of times in the past).