Northland's Reality Check

Northland

Hey Guys,

I debated whether to post this or not, but given how long I've been on this site I decided to.  Even though I haven't met any of you I consider many of us friends.  I have 16 year old twin boys Evan and William.  William (who is a big Cowboys fan) has recently been diagnosed with a form of pediatric lymphoma.  While it is 100% curable this has been a parents worst nightmare for my wife and I.  He has surgery scheduled to remove a cancerous lymph node on Monday June 17.  Post recovery he will have to endure a lumbar puncture(spinal tap) and a bone marrow aspiration.  The chances of cancer being present in his spinal fluid or bone marrow are slim but the oncologists at The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto want to cover off all of their bases.

He could not be in better hands.  Sick KIds is a world renowned children's hospital.  He's a pretty brave kid.  Told me he's not scared just frustrated.  He doesn't understand why this has happened.  I told him it's a freak thing.  I don't sugar coat anything with my boys.  I told Will that he's in for a rough ride but before he knows it the ride will be over.  In time he will forget that this ever happened.  His big concerns are will he lose his hair (probably but it will grow back) and given the timeline of treatment this will affect his ability to start the new school year on time.

Needless to say I am distracted.  If I happen to go off responding to a post you'll know why.  Don't take it personally.

I hope that my family's experience can serve to give us all some perspective.  The trials and tribulations of a sports team don't amount to much when your child is facing down cancer.  

Cheers everyone.  Stay well.

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, D82 said:

Good thoughts for your boy Northland. Cancer is a scary thing even when the prognosis is good. 

You got that right.  The big thing will be how he handles chemo.  He will be on a low dose. His lead oncologist said some kids sail right through it like nothing has happened.  Others get really sick.  It will depend upon how his body metabolizes the chemo.  Let's face it chemo is poison pumped into your body to kill the cancer.

Just go an update from the hospital.  He will have the surgery to remove the cancerous lymph node as well as the spinal tap and bone marrow aspiration at the same time.  Monday June 17.  It's a lot, but they will only have to sedate him once.

Edited by Northland
  • Like 1

My prayers are with you and your family.

Please know that cancer is not the boogeyman it once was. My mother, now 78, has had and overcome 4 types of cancer. 

You would never know she had anything.

Strong wills, love, prayer and support. 

Your son will be just fine. And What's more, he will come out of this a stronger person with a better appreciation for life.

God bless.

• Like 1