What to do about the S&C team? Fire them?

Yeah, not ready to kick Trent to the curb without a legitimate replacement in the mirror. Geron Christian nor Erick Flowers are incompetent and just not good enough to hold that position together. Sorry. 

I don't think Trent wants to be traded, but I think that he wants to get paid. The S&C coaches, as bad as they are, are the best scapegoat right now to exploit the idiocies of the front office and get more money. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 12:51 PM, mike23md said:

Geron Christian nor Erick Flowers are incompetent and just not good enough to hold that position together. Sorry. 

Christian might be okay (if only as a backup swing tackle), but Flowers is a waste of a roster spot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really wish Christian hadn’t gotten hurt last year and had been able to play more to spell Trent after Trent went down.

I hope with Christian this is a case of Moses 2.0. Remember Moses had his lisfranc foot injury towards the end of his rookie year and then no one really knew what he would develop into or if he would even be back and starter worthy after that injury.

My hope is that Christian has gotten bigger and stronger/in better shape this offseason like Moses did from his rookie year to second year and that Christian will have a good training camp and preseason.  Then, we can all put to bed the worry of Trent and Moses not having a good back up.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 3:10 PM, turtle28 said:

I really wish Christian hadn’t gotten hurt last year and had been able to play more to spell Trent after Trent went down.

I hope with Christian this is a case of Moses 2.0. Remember Moses had his lisfranc foot injury towards the end of his rookie year and then no one really knew what he would develop into or if he would even be back and starter worthy after that injury.

My hope is that Christian has gotten bigger and stronger/in better shape this offseason like Moses did from his rookie year to second year and that Christian will have a good training camp and preseason.  Then, we can all put to bed the worry of Trent and Moses not having a good back up.

If Callahan can make Christian look like a decent option at swing tackle in his second season, then he's worth every penny.

Right now, though, it's not looking too optimistic. There's still time, but my level of confidence isn't that high on Geron.

11 hours ago, Woz said:

If Callahan can make Christian look like a decent option at swing tackle in his second season, then he's worth every penny.

Right now, though, it's not looking too optimistic. There's still time, but my level of confidence isn't that high on Geron.

This is your worries like over Morgan Moses all over again! I just don't get the overreaction and never will.

Edited by turtle28

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

This is your worries like over Morgan Moses all over again! I just don't get the overreaction and never will.

Because I've got a limited track record to evaluation Christian on (so I could be wrong), but the early returns were not good (and the fact that they had Ereck frickin' Flowers playing LT in OTAs is a major red flag).

5 hours ago, Woz said:

Because I've got a limited track record to evaluation Christian on (so I could be wrong), but the early returns were not good (and the fact that they had Ereck frickin' Flowers playing LT in OTAs is a major red flag).

HonestHonoredHarrier-size_restricted.gif

12 hours ago, Woz said:

He was an underdeveloped rookie last year who wasn’t strong enough and his technique wasn’t developed yet, just like Moses in 2014. 

I mean obviously I don’t know that he will work out but he will get stronger and Callahan will definitely develop him more, but it’s true that that doesn’t mean that he develops into a good reserve or even starter quality OT. I trust Callahan to develop him though, he has w/ every other OL we’ve drafted.

On 6/28/2019 at 11:35 PM, turtle28 said:

He was an underdeveloped rookie last year who wasn’t strong enough and his technique wasn’t developed yet, just like Moses in 2014. 

I mean obviously I don’t know that he will work out but he will get stronger and Callahan will definitely develop him more, but it’s true that that doesn’t mean that he develops into a good reserve or even starter quality OT. I trust Callahan to develop him though, he has w/ every other OL we’ve drafted.

If everything in the 2019 OTAs occurred in 2018 when he was a rookie, then okay, yeah, he's a rookie.

He's had a year in the system (so technique, training, etc. should at least be slightly imparted).

They had ERECK FLOWERS starting over him.

18 hours ago, Woz said:

If everything in the 2019 OTAs occurred in 2018 when he was a rookie, then okay, yeah, he's a rookie.

He's had a year in the system (so technique, training, etc. should at least be slightly imparted).

They had ERECK FLOWERS starting over him.

Wait, isn’t Christian recovering from knee surgery still? He just tore his MCL last November.

Come on dude!

Edited by turtle28

On 7/2/2019 at 6:04 AM, turtle28 said:

Wait, isn’t Christian recovering from knee surgery still? He just tore his MCL last November.

Come on dude!

On one hand, that's a point to consider in his defense.

On the other, that means he's not growing because the injury is impeding his ability to get reps. It sucks, but it is also the reality of things.

10 hours ago, Woz said:

On one hand, that's a point to consider in his defense.

On the other, that means he's not growing because the injury is impeding his ability to get reps. It sucks, but it is also the reality of things.

Not a fan of Christian personally.  Didn't like what I saw.  Average strength and no drive, he's a technician in a league that's valuing that skillset less and less.  He's also borderline small to be playing T at 298.  

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Not a fan of Christian personally.  Didn't like what I saw.  Average strength and no drive, he's a technician in a league that's valuing that skillset less and less.  He's also borderline small to be playing T at 298.  

How does the league not value an OT who is a technician? Seems to me the league is more pass first and if you have a technician at OT that's a good thing.

I’ll say it again, players careers don’t end after their rookie seasons. It's just the beginning, let's see what happens in his development over the next few seasons. 

It says on NFL.com that he’s 302 pounds. He's also only going to be 23 Sept 10th. He's 6’5 and long, so he has the length, he has the frame to get bigger and stronger, which he hopefully has been working on since he tore his MCL in November. 

Edited by turtle28

On 7/4/2019 at 5:28 AM, turtle28 said:

How does the league not value an OT who is a technician? Seems to me the league is more pass first and if you have a technician at OT that's a good thing.

I’ll say it again, players careers don’t end after their rookie seasons. It's just the beginning, let's see what happens in his development over the next few seasons. 

It says on NFL.com that he’s 302 pounds. He's also only going to be 23 Sept 10th. He's 6’5 and long, so he has the length, he has the frame to get bigger and stronger, which he hopefully has been working on since he tore his MCL in November. 

Well, here's hoping he does/shows something in training camp.

Otherwise, if I were Washington, I think I would be looking heavily at a first round tackle. Maybe a second one in the mid-rounds as well.