What to do about the S&C team? Fire them?

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

If it's just adding a non-guaranteed year and not much more for the next two, I'm okay with talking. If he's trying to get tons of $$ and get paid like a young LT? Nope.

Solder- $17 mil

Lewan- 16.7

Whitworth-16.6

Okung- 15.9

Armstead-15.8

Tyron-15.5

Trent-14.7

Baktiari-14.2

This is a list of the top 8 LT’s as far as cap number (from Overthecap.com). You could say Trent is easily better than Solder and at this point Whitworth and Okung. The rest are debatable except Lewan imo. If im Bruce, and thank heavens I’m not, the guys a top 5 tackle, plays with broken bones and what not. I know I’m beating this to death but you have a rookie pocket QB, just make his most important teammate happy and let’s go. 

13 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Solder- $17 mil

Lewan- 16.7

Whitworth-16.6

Okung- 15.9

Armstead-15.8

Tyron-15.5

Trent-14.7

Baktiari-14.2

This is a list of the top 8 LT’s as far as cap number (from Overthecap.com). You could say Trent is easily better than Solder and at this point Whitworth and Okung. The rest are debatable except Lewan imo. If im Bruce, and thank heavens I’m not, the guys a top 5 tackle, plays with broken bones and what not. I know I’m beating this to death but you have a rookie pocket QB, just make his most important teammate happy and let’s go. 

Most of those guys ahead of him played 15 or 16 games last year.  The cliche is there for a reason - best ability is availability. 

7 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Most of those guys ahead of him played 15 or 16 games last year.  The cliche is there for a reason - best ability is availability. 

This ^^^. Yes, he's a top5-top8 LT. But he hasn't played a full slate in years. Add to it the fact that he is getting up there in age and I don't want to start throwing tons of cash to a guy who is old and injury prone. No matter how good he currently is.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

This ^^^. Yes, he's a top5-top8 LT. But he hasn't played a full slate in years. Add to it the fact that he is getting up there in age and I don't want to start throwing tons of cash to a guy who is old and injury prone. No matter how good he currently is.

Baktiari missed 4 games the last 3 seasons

Jason Peters- 9

Tyron Smith-9

Okung - 2 (shocked it wasn’t more. He missed a ton of games early in his career)

Trent missed 13

Yes he’s missed a bunch of games but most of the guys above were fighting for playoff spots while Trent has been shut down once or twice because there was no chance at making the postseason. His injuries frustrate me just as much as anyone but these guys aren’t made of steel. 

25 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Baktiari missed 4 games the last 3 seasons

Jason Peters- 9

Tyron Smith-9

Okung - 2 (shocked it wasn’t more. He missed a ton of games early in his career)

Trent missed 13

Yes he’s missed a bunch of games but most of the guys above were fighting for playoff spots while Trent has been shut down once or twice because there was no chance at making the postseason. His injuries frustrate me just as much as anyone but these guys aren’t made of steel. 

Baktiari - age 27

Peters - age 37

Smith - age 28

Okung - age 30

Trent - age 30

Of the ages, the bolded is who I would consider giving a 5 year deal to. The rest? No way.

See above ^^^^. I'm quoting myself to make it easier to read.

But let's go further:

Baktiari - in his career (last 6 years) has only missed 6 games

Peters - not even gonna say it. I wouldn't sign this guy to do anything.

Smith - missed 9 games in last 6 years

Okung - has missed 15 games the last 6 years

Trent - missed 16 games in the last 6 years. 

BTW - I'm using 6 years because I included Baktiari's entire career of 6. If you want to go with 3, let's use your #'s.

Okay - on to cap hit. (2019 / 2020)

Baktiari - $14.2 / $14.2

Smith - $15.5 / $13.5 (2020 is their "out year" if they choose to use it)

Okung - $15.9 / $16.0

Trent - $14.7 / $14.6

Based on all of this? I'd have zero problem giving Baktiari more money on a 5 year deal. Trent? No way...at least not a ton more $$ and not for 5 years. I'm okay if he wants to add a year onto it and pad a bit but a 4-5 year big deal is out of the question. He's not been as available as one should if they are eating up that much cap (***)

Oh and it goes without saying...Okung needs a pay cut.

(***) TL:DR -> I have no problem adding a year to the deal and fattening up the next two years a mil or 2 per year for Trent (so that 2021/2022 is a non-guaranteed year and we can cut him or trade him with no cap hit). But if he's looking for another 5 year mega contract, he can take the train.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

See above ^^^^. I'm quoting myself to make it easier to read.

But let's go further:

Okay - on to cap hit. (2019 / 2020)

Baktiari - $14.2 / $14.2

Smith - $15.5 / $13.5 (2020 is their "out year" if they choose to use it)

Okung - $15.9 / $16.0

Trent - $14.7 / $14.6

Based on all of this? I'd have zero problem giving Baktiari more money on a 5 year deal. Trent? No way...at least not a ton more $$ and not for 5 years. I'm okay if he wants to add a year onto it and pad a bit but a 4-5 year big deal is out of the question. He's not been as available as one should if they are eating up that much cap (***)

Oh and it goes without saying...Okung needs a pay cut.

(***) TL:DR -> I have no problem adding a year to the deal and fattening up the next two years a mil or 2 per year for Trent (so that 2021/2022 is a non-guaranteed year and we can cut him or trade him with no cap hit). But if he's looking for another 5 year mega contract, he can take the train.

They need him. He is worth being paid the price of a top 5 RT right now. Making him the 2nd highest paid RT is what I would try to do right now. His money would be guaranteed for this year but he would have to start at least 10 games next year before the rest is paid to him. This is the business side of the league and I hope both sides handle it accordingly. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

This is what I’ve been saying they should do. He should be paid well within the top 5 at the position, but he shouldn’t have more than a non guaranteed year added to his deal. In one of the draft threads I said they need to be looking for Trents replacement relatively soon and really early in the draft and I got hammered. Bottom line is right now he’s the best option at the position by a country mile and they need him desperately. He’s playing his cards. Both sides will play hardball. This can go well into camp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

This is what I’ve been saying they should do. He should be paid well within the top 5 at the position, but he shouldn’t have more than a non guaranteed year added to his deal. In one of the draft threads I said they need to be looking for Trents replacement relatively soon and really early in the draft and I got hammered. Bottom line is right now he’s the best option at the position by a country mile and they need him desperately. He’s playing his cards. Both sides will play hardball. This can go well into camp

Does anyone know if he's still under the test anytime portion of the league's drug protocol??

He had that surgery to remove the growth on his head

Could this holdout also be to avoid a drug test (due to some "self medication" with choom post-surgery)??

16 hours ago, lavar703 said:

NFL teams also give out these contracts and then don’t honor them unless the terms stay in their favor. You can’t knock players for doing something teams do all the time. 

In that case, the player ( perhaps mistakenly ) signed a team friendly contract . His error and his agent - can't put that on the team . The team did follow ( honor ) the terms of the signed contract.

Either way, doesn't effect me being an NFL fan .

16 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

Trent is just playing his cards here. Rookie QB and no real option behind him. He’s looking for one more payday. Agent advice at its finest. They want to move some money around his current deal, maybe add a non guaranteed year for 2022 fine, I have no problem with that. Sure this will linger into camp and that’s fine too. They need Trent week 1 all systems go. Not real concerned he’s missing practices in June. Nice to get Geron the extra work

If he's just doing this to avoid minicamp, camp, and all the rest, but is back on the field in mid-to-late August, okay then.

If I was the GM, I don't reward him with any money, but I get that it is a ploy and shrug it off (and ditch any fines). This season. I then actively plan to replace him in 2020 offseason.

He's making business decisions that are best for him. I respect that. At the same time, if I'm the GM, I make business decisions that are best for the team.