He Invented the NERF Football!!! -- All Hail, Kicker Fred Cox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsLaLBQswC4

Kickers rarely get love in today's NFL.  The pressure on kickers, mentally is extreme in the age of "icing the kicker."  If someone brings up Gary Anderson or Blair Walsh in my presence, I am likely to spit on their shoes!!  But once upon a time, my young Vikings, their was a kicker on the squad who was always near the top of the league in scoring.  He was pretty accurate for a straight on kicker.  He could kick long--ish field goals and was really good at getting height on his kickoffs.  My friends, his name is Fred Cox, and he held the kicking duties for the Vikings for 14 seasons!!!  In this age of changing kickers every season...or in our case recently, changing kickers during the season, wouldn't it be nice to have someone who could hold the job for 14 years???  It was position that Van Brocklin and Grant didn't have to worry about!  Wouldn't that be nice for Zimmer?

While he didn't invent NERF, Fred Cox did invent the NERF Football!  That alone makes him a great man.  Being the Vikings greatest kicker confirms it!  All Hail Fred Cox!

36 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And current people would look at Cox's statistics, and he'd be cut after a couple of games like Daniel Carlson.  xD

This is true.  The "side winding" soccer style kickers have added both accuracy and power on the whole.  Yet, if you compare Cox to the kickers of his era, his stats are pretty good.