Who Is The Better Player Right Now, Gobert or KAT?

the lone star

Who Is The Better Player Right Now, Gobert or KAT?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is The Better Player Right Now, Gobert or KAT?

• Rudy Gobert
    • Karl-Anthony Towns

10 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

such as?

KAT had a better on/off this year.

Gobert

133 ORTG 100 DRTG .268 WS/48 7.0 BPM 5.9 VORP +7.0 OnCourt +4.7 On/Off 4.69 RPM

Towns

118 ORTG 108 DRTG .197 WS/48 6.8 BPM 5.7 VORP +0.2 OnCourt +4.9 On/Off 3.81 RPM

Obviously ORTG is skewed to their usage. DRTG which you tried brushing off earlier is interesting because he's 5.7 points better than the team average which was #2 in the league. Otherwise Towns has a better On/Off by 0.2 and loses everything else. Gobert has remained relatively consistent in the postseason as well. While Towns fell off a cliff in his one playoff series. There is no evidence to support Towns being much better than Gobert, very little suggests he's better at all.

Edited by Bullet Club

5 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

DRTG which you tried brushing off earlier is interesting because he's 5.7 points better than the team average which was #2 in the league

What is drating?

Shouldn't it be the same as the opponents orating while he is on the court. Cause his on/off has the opponents orating while he is on the court as 105.2. Which makes more sense to me because Gobert played about 66% of all minutes this year. And if his drating was 100 on and the team drating was 108 while he was off the overall team drating should be closer to 100 than 108. And it was 105.7 overall. So 105.2 makes more sense to me.

And all those stats are close anyways. And Gobert plays with a way better team so that helps a lot. 

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

What is drating?

Shouldn't it be the same as the opponents orating while he is on the court. Cause his on/off has the opponents orating while he is on the court as 105.2. Which makes more sense to me because Gobert played about 66% of all minutes this year. And if his drating was 100 on and the team drating was 108 while he was off the overall team drating should be closer to 100 than 108. And it was 105.7 overall. So 105.2 makes more sense to me.

And all those stats are close anyways. And Gobert plays with a way better team so that helps a lot. 

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. His DRTG is 100. His team's average is 105.7. That means when he is on the court they are significantly better. You're the one who said Towns was easily better and asked for proof for advanced stats saying otherwise.

19 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. His DRTG is 100. His team's average is 105.7. That means when he is on the court they are significantly better. You're the one who said Towns was easily better and asked for proof for advanced stats saying otherwise.

I'm asking what individual drating is. I don't think it is the same as team drating. 

Use his orating for example. If team orating and individual orating are the same then the Jazz would have to have like an 85 orating while Gobert is off the court to equal the 111 they had for the whole year. But you can look that up. They had a 112 orating on and 110 off. Which adds up for the 111 for the year.

The Jazz had a 105.2 drating while Gobert was on the court and a 108 drating while he was off. Which adds up to the 105.7 they had for the year. Which makes sense because he played about 65% of all the minutes available this year.

If the Jazz had a 100 drating while Gobert was on and 108 off they would have like a ~102.5 stating for the year.

I'm pretty sure team drating is the opponents orating. I don't know what individual drating is but I'm pretty sure they are not the same.

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I'm asking what individual drating is. I don't think it is the same as team drating. 

Use his orating for example. If team orating and individual orating are the same then the Jazz would have to have like an 85 orating while Gobert is off the court to equal the 111 they had for the whole year. But you can look that up. They had a 112 orating on and 110 off. Which adds up for the 111 for the year.

The Jazz had a 105.2 drating while Gobert was on the court and a 108 drating while he was off. Which adds up to the 105.7 they had for the year. Which makes sense because he played about 65% of all the minutes available this year.

If the Jazz had a 100 drating while Gobert was on and 108 off they would have like a ~102.5 stating for the year.

I'm pretty sure team drating is the opponents orating. I don't know what individual drating is but I'm pretty sure they are not the same.

Ahhh I see. This is what BR says.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ratings.html

23 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

What's the distinction between the two?

It doesn’t make sense but it does.

Towns is by far the more talented player and better overall. But Gobert’s defense changes an entire game. Towns can be a #1 or #2 on a good team (I think) but Gobert can’t. But in his role, Gobert’s defense is more game changing.

Just now, Tyronnosaurus said:

Towns is by far the more talented player and better overall. But Gobert’s defense changes an entire game. Towns can be a #1 or #2 on a good team (I think) but Gobert can’t. But in his role, Gobert’s defense is more game changing.

If you take out "better overall" I agree with everything you said.

14 hours ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Gobert is the better rebounder too, and let's not sleep on his offensive contributions. He averaged 16 points per game. That's rock solid.

He needs to develop a mid-range game though. His average shot distance is like 2 feet, but he's slowly getting better from the 3-10 range. 

• 4 weeks later...