Bold prediction: Chargers AFC Super Bowl LIV representative

Championshiporbust

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

You didnt watch many 2019 Chargers games I take it. Especially not their game against the Steelers where they were gifted 21 points.

On paper everyone looks the best at some point. As for Rivers, thats arguable. Im not saying he wont get in, but i dont think he is a lock either.

Ok while I will give you that the refs blatantly missed a false start, where exactly were the other 14 points that the refs gave us?

I'd also like to point us that almost the exact same screw-up went against us in I believe the Browns game. 

In any case even if we had lost that Steelers game we would have ultimately ended up with the same playoff-seeding that we already did anyways.

The Steelers shoudn't have lost to the Raiders or tied the Hue Jackson Browns if they wanted to make the playoffs. 

Edited by Bolts223

Early 2018 prediction:

Despite a disastrous start last year, the Los Angeles Chargers nearly made the playoffs. With a proven quarterback in Philip Rivers and talent on both sides of the ball, Brent Sobleski thinks the Bolts will seal the deal this year.

"Rivers has waited a long time to be relevant again, and the Chargers' ascension coincides with the Kansas City Chiefs' decision to replace Smith with Mahomes," he said. "As talented as Mahomes is, a step or two back should be expected, while Rivers is surrounded by talent at wide receiver, running back and an improved offensive line."

Early 2017 prediction:

Los Angeles Chargers (9-7): Plenty to overcome, most notably adaptation to a new city and the smallest venue in the league (the StubHub Center will host its first NFL games in Weeks 2-4). Then there are personnel changes coming to the offensive line and a major schematic overhaul defensively. Still, the Bolts have done a nice job restocking their talent pool, especially on defense, and have the juice to be L.A.'s first playoff club since the 1993 Raiders. 

Early 2016 prediction:

The Kansas City Chiefs are solid, but just can’t seem to get over the hump to take that next step. The Chargers have an aging QB in Philip Rivers who’s team seems to be suffering from the injury bug over the last few years.

Broncos win the division and the surprising Raiders claim a Wild Card birth.

Since 2015 the Chargers have gone 4-12, 5-11, 9-7, and 12-4. They have never been left out as a contender according to many preseason predictions.

A kind of interesting note, the Chargers have only had back to back 10+ win seasons once in the past nearly 40 years. That last occurred in the 2006-2007 seasons. Prior to that was the 1979-1980-1981 seasons. Although, (in their NFL history) after each double digit winning season, they always lost more games the following year.

1979: 12 wins

1980: 11 wins

1981: 10 wins

2006: 14 wins

2007: 11 wins

2008: 8 wins

2009: 13 wins

2010: 9 wins

2018: 12 wins

2019: history says less than 10

• Like 1

2 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

My bold prediction is that neither the Chargers nor the Chiefs will be an overwhelming force this year. Take it with a grain of salt though.

what is overwhelming?

If they both win 9-10 games I wouldn't be shocked

9 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

A kind of interesting note, the Chargers have only had back to back 10+ win seasons once in the past nearly 40 years. That last occurred in the 2006-2007 seasons. Prior to that was the 1979-1980-1981 seasons. Although, (in their NFL history) after each double digit winning season, they always lost more games the following year.

1979: 12 wins

1980: 11 wins

1981: 10 wins

2006: 14 wins

2007: 11 wins

2008: 8 wins

2009: 13 wins

2010: 9 wins

2018: 12 wins

2019: history says less than 10

More like they're more than due for another consecutive 10+ win season.

16 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Early 2018 prediction:

Early 2017 prediction:

Early 2016 prediction:

Since 2015 the Chargers have gone 4-12, 5-11, 9-7, and 12-4. They have never been left out as a contender according to many preseason predictions.

As long as Philip Rivers is the QB of the Chargers nobody can or should write them off completely from making the playoffs.

It's still really annoying that people talk as if we have been division favorites every year for the past decade and always come up short. Nobody was ever picking us to beat the Peyton Manning Broncos for the division. In 2016-2017 nobody was picking us to finish first either.

The only reason we often get talked about as a team that COULD be in the mix is that we are one of the few franchises that's had remarkable stability at the QB position for the last decade-plus. That doesn't mean we were favored for anything.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, wwhickok said:

You didnt watch many 2019 Chargers games I take it. Especially not their game against the Steelers where they were gifted 21 points.

On paper everyone looks the best at some point. As for Rivers, thats arguable. Im not saying he wont get in, but i dont think he is a lock either.

When i first came here in the game day thread i posted the pics that showed steelers got away with mugging on the Brown td pass and the connor td run. I also showed the King return had no blocking in the back. So outside the Benjamin false start td, i cant see where Chargers got any calls. So even that 1 doesn't balance out the 2 egregious no calls on the holding by Pit. If you find that game thread you'll see my pics.

9 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

I'm never picking anyone for the Super Bowl from the AFC other than the Patriots until Tom Brady retires.

Now if this thread was a "we know the Pats will represent the AFC, but if they didn't then who would?" - I'm on board.

This is probably the most accurate statement so far. I'm not picking against Brady in the SB until after an AFCCG where the Patriots lose.

• Like 1

They'll be an interesting team to watch this year. Could be the last hurrah of Rivers. I expect Mahomes to take a step back this year, can the Chargers do enough to win the division and then with that automatic playoff berth and reach the Super Bowl? We'll have to see what happens.