Bold prediction: Chargers AFC Super Bowl LIV representative

Championshiporbust

On 6/27/2019 at 1:41 PM, CKS97 said:

He is living proof that evil wins. This man may be a football genius but proof that karma does not exist 

he has no likeability, just comes across as a man who seemingly never is satisfied.

the day bb retires will be a glorious day.

I agree that karma doesn’t exist (not a Hindu), but as far as Bill Belichick is concerned, people seem to forget that he’s paid to win football games. Period. Not to be “likable,” or a funny guy, or any other such nonsense. As long as enough good players can tolerate him and perform at a high level, his personality is a non-factor. 

I’m an electrician, and I much prefer working for nice people, but sometimes I get a foreman that is an a-hole. It happens. And I have yet to work for a contractor who cares one bit if the men think the boss is a bad guy or not. 

I don’t think Bill Belichick is a curmudgeonly in private as he is in public. 

And to your last point - ANYONE should want their coach, quarterback, and the entire team to never be satisfied! You want them to never get enough of winning! Has YOUR favorite team ever won the Super Bowl? Do you want them to win it just once, or do you want as many championships as possible? 

Serious question. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I think the Chargers have 2 keys to making the SB:

1) Win the division. As much as people make fun of us having no HFA, it's still a gigantic comparative advantage to play in LA in our own climate with at least some Chargers fans there. 

2) Be able to finally beat the Patriots. The Chargers have the same problem every AFC team has - the Patriots. If you ever want to make the SB out of the AFC, that almost always means beating them. Gus Bradley really needs to learn a lesson from that playoff game if we are to do that.

This team absolutely has the talent to make a run, it's a matter of putting it together now.

Don't forget that the two is predicated on 3) Staying healthy!

5 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

I agree that karma doesn’t exist (not a Hindu), but as far as Bill Belichick is concerned, people seem to forget that he’s paid to win football games. Period. Not to be “likable,” or a funny guy, or any other such nonsense. As long as enough good players can tolerate him and perform at a high level, his personality is a non-factor. 

I’m an electrician, and I much prefer working for nice people, but sometimes I get a foreman that is an a-hole. It happens. And I have yet to work for a contractor who cares one bit if the men think the boss is a bad guy or not. 

I don’t think Bill Belichick is a curmudgeonly in private as he is in public. 

And to your last point - ANYONE should want their coach, quarterback, and the entire team to never be satisfied! You want them to never get enough of winning! Has YOUR favorite team ever won the Super Bowl? Do you want them to win it just once, or do you want as many championships as possible? 

Serious question. 

I love BB. He walks the walk and very subtly is funny as all hell. I’ve really enjoyed working for bosses that were very BB like. There’s a huge difference between the boss that busts his *** and demands everyone else busts there *** and  works hard to constantly be better and the ones that sit on their *** and just threaten to fire people if they don’t hit expectations. 

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Don't forget that the two is predicated on 3) Staying healthy!

Yeah well that goes without saying.

But the key is to not go into Foxboro in January. That stadium is where teams go to die - Brady and Belichick are 20-3 there in the playoffs.

Even though our HFA isn't as big as other teams, it's so imperative that we make them have to play us in LA.

14 hours ago, Xenos said:

No, it wasn't.

Week 1 loss 106 yards 29%

week 3 loss 171 yards 33%

Week 11 loss 108  33%

Week 16 loss gave up 159 yards. 44% of production.

week 19 155 yard 31% of production

The games we lost we got gashed right up the middle. Admittedly the linebackers were a mash unit but still didn’t do what was needed to win. 

The Chargers have their work cut out for them if they think they’re going to the Super Bowl this year. 

First of all, the Kansas City Chiefs are no joke and have to be an odds-on favorite to be right back in the AFC Championship Game. I’ll concede that the Chargers should finish ahead of Oakland and Denver, but I can’t see them finishing ahead of the Chiefs. The Chargers may very well be a playoff team again this year, but I just don’t see them making it as anything other than the 5 or 6 seed. 

Secondly, let’s say the Chargers make it as a wild card. Now what? The cruel and unforgiving road awaits them. A road game in a loud and obnoxious dome (Indianapolis; Houston), or some January ice box (Cleveland; Pittsburgh). Should the Chargers survive the Wild Card Round, off to the Divisional Round they go. New England? Kansas City? On the road? Great choices, eh? 

Let’s say the Chargers beat one of these teams ON THE ROAD in the Divisional Round. They’ll very likely have to play the other one in the AFC Championship Game. 

Beating the Patriots in Foxborough AND the Chiefs at Arrowhead on back-to-back weeks is too much to ask of ANYONE. Not going to happen. 

The Chargers’ record against the Patriots in the Belichick era is 3-9 (regular season and playoffs combined). That’s a .250 winning percentage. Yuck. 

The Chargers’ record vs. the Patriots in the playoffs since 2000 is 0-3. That’s a .000 winning percentage. Two games in Foxborough, and one in San Diego. 

Thirdly, the last time an AFC team reached the Super Bowl without having to defeat the Patriots along the way was the 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers (whose playoff record vs. the Patriots is just as abysmal as the Chargers’). They defeated the Jets in the AFC Championship Game before losing to the Packers two weeks later in the Super Bowl. 

Unless catastrophic injuries befall the Patriots AND the Chiefs, I just don’t see the Chargers getting a sniff of the Super Bowl. 

Edited by rfournier103
Punctuation.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Week 1 loss 106 yards 29%

week 3 loss 171 yards 33%

Week 11 loss 108  33%

Week 16 loss gave up 159 yards. 44% of production.

week 19 155 yard 31% of production

The games we lost we got gashed right up the middle. Admittedly the linebackers were a mash unit but still didn’t do what was needed to win. 

Footballoutsider had us ranked #10 overall last year in terms of run defense. Unfortunately, injuries and attrition caught up to us especially when we faced the Patriots. Context also matters. Week 1 for example was fine. When you hold Kareem Hunt to 49 yards and 0 Tds, you did a great job. Not sure why you posted that other than to make things look worse than they actually were.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Edited by Xenos

6 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

The Chargers have their work cut out for them if they think they’re going to the Super Bowl this year. 

First of all, the Kansas City Chiefs are no joke and have to be an odds-on favorite to be right back in the AFC Championship Game. I’ll concede that the Chargers should finish ahead of Oakland and Denver, but I can’t see them finishing ahead of the Chiefs. The Chargers may very well be a playoff team again this year, but I just don’t see them making it as anything other than the 5 or 6 seed. 

Secondly, let’s say the Chargers make it as a wild card. Now what? The cruel and unforgiving road awaits them. A road game in a loud and obnoxious dome (Indianapolis; Houston), or some January ice box (Cleveland; Pittsburgh). Should the Chargers survive the Wild Card Round, off to the Divisional Round they go. New England? Kansas City? On the road? Great choices, eh? 

Let’s say the Chargers beat one of these teams ON THE ROAD in the Divisional Round. They’ll very likely have to play the other one in the AFC Championship Game. 

Beating the Patriots in Foxborough AND the Chiefs at Arrowhead on back-to-back weeks is too much to ask of ANYONE. Not going to happen. 

The Chargers’ record against the Patriots in the Belichick era is 3-9 (regular season and playoffs combined). That’s a .250 winning percentage. Yuck. 

The Chargers’ record vs. the Patriots in the playoffs since 2000 is 0-3. That’s a .000 winning percentage. Two games in Foxborough, and one in San Diego. 

Thirdly, the last time an AFC team reached the Super Bowl without having to defeat the Patriots along the way was the 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers (whose playoff record vs. the Patriots is just as abysmal as the Chargers’). They defeated the Jets in the AFC Championship Game before losing to the Packers two weeks later in the Super Bowl. 

Unless catastrophic injuries befall the Patriots AND the Chiefs, I just don’t see the Chargers getting a sniff of the Super Bowl. 

Why can't you see the Chargers winning the division over the Chiefs? The Chiefs have Patrick Mahomes, but they have more question marks than the Chargers IMO. Will their defense actually improve under Spagnulo? How will their offense adapt if they miss Hill and teams now have a year's worth of film on Mahomes?

Edit: I do agree that the Patriots are the team to beat until proven otherwise. They are the Chargers' Kryptonite.

Edited by Xenos

On 7/5/2019 at 1:17 PM, The LBC said:

Unfortunately, Brady has many more tricks up his sleeve.  He's still yet to sacrifice a live goat (that we know of).  He's had more kids (including ones by his current wife) so his firstborn is expendable.

We want the Pats out of the Superb Owl, then someone else in the AFC needs to step up to take on the mantle left by Bernard Pollard... for the good of the rest of the conference.

Well if having a lot of kids to sacrifice is all it takes to win SB's then Rivers has got this.

5 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

There is no real logical reason Chiefs should be favored over LAC. In fact, outside pedigree and history, there is no reason NE should be favored over LAC.  Of the top AFC teams from last year, Chargers had the least turnover in roster. KC lost alot of guys, gained some, Hill issue in the air. NE lost impact players as well.

Biggest loss Chargers has was their #3 WR. But will get back their starting TE. 

Lets be honest, NE last year was not NE of other years.  They were 3-5 on the road with all 5 losses to non-playoff teams. They just turned it on in the playoffs and got alot of bounces their way. (Decimated CHARGERS defense, dee ford off sides, injuried Gurley).

Quote me. By week 7, there will be no question who the best team in the NFL and the AFC is. It will be Chargers. If im wrong i want everyone here to give me hell for atleast 2 weeks (after 2 weeks let me off the hook for a new comer)

8 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

There is no real logical reason Chiefs should be favored over LAC. In fact, outside pedigree and history, there is no reason NE should be favored over LAC.  Of the top AFC teams from last year, Chargers had the least turnover in roster. KC lost alot of guys, gained some, Hill issue in the air. NE lost impact players as well.

Lets be honest, NE last year was not NE of other years.  They were 3-5 on the road with all 5 losses to non-playoff teams. They just turned it on in the playoffs and got alot of bounces their way. (Decimated CHARGERS defense, dee ford off sides, injuried Gurley).

Quote me. By week 7, there will be no question who the best team in the NFL and the AFC is. It will be Chargers. If im wrong i want everyone here to give me hell for atleast 2 weeks (after 2 weeks let me off the hook for a new comer)

Before anyone throws around the vaunted homer card... if im right, does that really make me a homer?

2 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Well if having a lot of kids to sacrifice is all it takes to win SB's then Rivers has got this.

Rivers won't sacrifice his kids.  Children are more valuable to Catholics than wine.  Brady, however, so far as we can tell worships the Devil (whether that Devil is actually Belichick is what we've yet to prove), so sacrifice is part and parcel to what he believes in.

4 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

NE wasn’t great last year but the point that they lost to 5 non playoff teams is irrelevant when they beat all playoff teams they faced in the regular season. So they beat every good team they faced lol 

as far as the Chargers go, their main problem will be sustaining their 6-1 record in 1 possession games and with thus the danger of playing in the wild card round again. 

The roster looks good although the OL is still fairly suspect and you saw what happens when someone exposes that weakness.

Rivers was exceptional last year. Remains to be seen if he can repeat the performance where he tied his career best passer rating and best yards per attempt since 2009. 

All in all, the Chargers look good but uncertainty remains. They could be 13-3 or 8-8. Who knows, who ever knows with them?

12 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Yeah well that goes without saying.

But the key is to not go into Foxboro in January. That stadium is where teams go to die - Brady and Belichick are 20-3 there in the playoffs.

Even though our HFA isn't as big as other teams, it's so imperative that we make them have to play us in LA.

That stadium is basically a house of evil

2 hours ago, SBLIII said:

NE wasn’t great last year but the point that they lost to 5 non playoff teams is irrelevant when they beat all playoff teams they faced in the regular season. So they beat every good team they faced lol 

as far as the Chargers go, their main problem will be sustaining their 6-1 record in 1 possession games and with thus the danger of playing in the wild card round again. 

The roster looks good although the OL is still fairly suspect and you saw what happens when someone exposes that weakness.

Rivers was exceptional last year. Remains to be seen if he can repeat the performance where he tied his career best passer rating and best yards per attempt since 2009. 

All in all, the Chargers look good but uncertainty remains. They could be 13-3 or 8-8. Who knows, who ever knows with them?

I agree.. i figure they had a stretch of like 3 or 4 years where they always lost a bunch of 1 possession games. So maybe laws of avg swing back their way for a couple of seasons. Predicting is a crap shoot in general. Anything can happen at the end of the day.