Bold prediction: Chargers AFC Super Bowl LIV representative

Championshiporbust

8 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Feel like I hear this every year..

Not sure why people say this. Before 2018 nobody had seriously talked about us as a SB contender since like 2010?

- 2017 we were mostly picked to finish last in the division.

- 2016: we were mostly picked to finish last.

- 2015: we were picked to finish 3rd behind the Chiefs/Broncos

- 2012-2014: We were seen as a team that would finish around .500 and maybe steal a wild card. Nobody thought we were beating the Peyton Manning Broncos for the division in any of these seasons.

- 2011: We were picked to win an incredibly bad division that ended up being won by the 8-8 Tebow Broncos. I don't think anyone saw us competing with the Ravens/Pats/Steelers for the AFC going into that season.

I hear this narrative a lot and it's really annoying because it's flat out wrong. 2018 was the first time in almost a decade that we were being talked about as a team that could contend in the AFC and we ended up going 12-4.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

You realize that Vegas odds are like a horrific predictor of anything right? Look at some of the preseason odds of previous years and see how laughable some of them are. Obviously there are always going to be teams that surprise in both ways, but Vegas odds are made based on how oddsmakers think the public will bet. The general public is not necessarily the smartest when it comes to making predictions.

Yeah I don't think you know how odds are established.

And if ever you think you can predict better than Vegas, why don't you try your luck? You could be very rich.

Anyways, I have gone through many of them and they all make sense IMO for all teams as far as I am concerned.

Top 4 of Pats, Chiefs, Rams and Saints and that's exactly how I saw it last year and again at this point going into next year.

Chargers fans can keep saying all offseason that they're neck and neck with the Chiefs but they're not. I'm sorry.

21 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

And if ever you think you can predict better than Vegas, why don't you try your luck? You could be very rich.

Anyways, I have gone through many of them and they all make sense IMO for all teams as far as I am concerned.

Top 4 of Pats, Chiefs, Rams and Saints and that's exactly how I saw it last year and again at this point going into next year.

Chargers fans can keep saying all offseason that they're neck and neck with the Chiefs but they're not. I'm sorry.

The Chiefs go to their first AFC Championship game in 25 years and you act like your franchise is the Patriots.

The Chargers were neck and neck with the Chiefs last year and nothing that has happened this offseason suggests that will be any different this year.

The Chiefs could easily be among the AFC's elite, or they could miss the playoffs. Same for the Chargers.

Nothing about your roster or team is inherently superior to the Chargers.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Not sure why people say this. Before 2018 nobody had seriously talked about us as a SB contender since like 2010?

- 2012-2014: We were seen as a team that would finish around .500 and maybe steal a wild card. Nobody thought we were beating the Peyton Manning Broncos for the division in any of these seasons.

- 2011: We were picked to win an incredibly bad division that ended up being won by the 8-8 Tebow Broncos. I don't think anyone saw us competing with the Ravens/Pats/Steelers for the AFC going into that season.

I hear this narrative a lot and it's really annoying because it's flat out wrong. 2018 was the first time in almost a decade that we were being talked about as a team that could contend in the AFC and we ended up going 12-4.

Yup.

There is this weird myth that the Chargers are some massive underachievers. They have exceeded their over/under projections that last two years.  In 2017, the over/under was 7.5, they ended up winning 9 games. in 2018, the over/under was 9.5, they ended up winning 12 games. 

Edited by game3525

16 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Idk just feel like I hear it a lot, feel like Dan Patrick and other national media ppl pick chargers often. 

I feel like outside of the Patriots, the Saints and Chargers are picked every year to go to and win the Superbowl. I get it because they are super talented but for the Chargers they cant get out of their own way with special teams blunders and not winning alot of close games. The Saints just have bad luck. There must be a black cat running around in New Orleans lol. This past season it was the no call and the season before that it was the hailmary from Keenum of all QBs. Like you can live with ARod pulling a hailmary off but Keenum??? Like you cant make this stuff up. Point is I consider the Chargers and Saints are serious contenders every year but there is a reason why I wont say Superbowl Saints, Superbowl Chargers unless the Patriots are out of it and the Chiefs dont have Hunt like they did last season or Hill like they could this season. The Saints if they have homefield advantage with no Rams in it and no ARod in the picture and Wentz isnt himself with the Eagles. Even then Im still looking at a healthy Falcons team thats in the way of the Saints. The NFC as whole is brutal so the Saints totally is going to need HFA and tbh I dont think they will have it this season based on their schedule. I could see the Chargers doing more damage though in the AFC again especially if the Chiefs dont have Hill and the Patriots take somewhat of a step back with Brady getting another year older and no Gronk, Flowers, and an aging Edelman too. Its going to be interesting though for both conferences. 

16 hours ago, Buckweath said:

I dont think you understand how odds are made either.

Here's how it works in Vegas:  The end goal is to even out money so that losers pay the winners and the book makes the vig ( the fee for placing bets)  they do this by adjusting spreads, or payouts in order to balance the money out.  Vegas is not telling you they think will win, or how much somebody will win by.  They are telling you how the money is being bet.  In this case, the most money is being bet on the Pats, then the Chiefs, and so on.  Now here's the thing, at this point it's all early money.  These are sucker bets right now.  These odds are all about the amount of fans who put their money on their team.  When TC rolls along, then the wise guys will start putting there money out there.  Then we will get a better idea where the smart money is, but ultimately odds right now dont matter.  The Bears were 90-1 to win the SuperBowl at this point last year.  Obviously they didnt win, but there were guys holding that ticket in January who could have made a killing.  In 1999 the Rams won after being given 225-1 odds after the Trent Green injury.  Odds are all well and good, but they mean absolutely nothing on the football field.

• Like 2

feel like outside of the Patriots, the Saints and Chargers are picked every year to go to and win the Superbowl. I get it because they are super talented but for the Chargers they cant get out of their own way with special teams blunders and not winning alot of close games. 

Both the Chargers and the Saints (who I don't even know why you brought up....but whatever) were a combine 13-2 in one score games. The Chargers lost in a blow out to a team that was better then them and the Saints were robbed. 

So the notion that these two teams simply can't win close games is a myth. 

24 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I feel like outside of the Patriots, the Saints and Chargers are picked every year to go to and win the Superbowl. I get it because they are super talented but for the Chargers they cant get out of their own way with special teams blunders and not winning alot of close games. The Saints just have bad luck. There must be a black cat running around in New Orleans lol. This past season it was the no call and the season before that it was the hailmary from Keenum of all QBs. Like you can live with ARod pulling a hailmary off but Keenum??? Like you cant make this stuff up. Point is I consider the Chargers and Saints are serious contenders every year but there is a reason why I wont say Superbowl Saints, Superbowl Chargers unless the Patriots are out of it and the Chiefs dont have Hunt like they did last season or Hill like they could this season. The Saints if they have homefield advantage with no Rams in it and no ARod in the picture and Wentz isnt himself with the Eagles. Even then Im still looking at a healthy Falcons team thats in the way of the Saints. The NFC as whole is brutal so the Saints totally is going to need HFA and tbh I dont think they will have it this season based on their schedule. I could see the Chargers doing more damage though in the AFC again especially if the Chiefs dont have Hill and the Patriots take somewhat of a step back with Brady getting another year older and no Gronk, Flowers, and an aging Edelman too. Its going to be interesting though for both conferences. 

I mean you realize that Keenum made a throw that was a very high % throw in terms of it being a completion but it ended up being a TD because the DB whiffed on a tackle. That play had nothing to do with Keenum making an amazing throw and everything with a missed tackle. 99% of the time that play would've resulted in the clock running out and the Vikings losing.

The Saints this year were just flat out screwed. The game is essentially over if the refs call that pretty blatant PI.

36 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I get that's how you feel, that doesn't make it any less incorrect.

Like nobody was picking us to go to the SB from 2011-2017. People may have talked about us as a playoff contender in some of those seasons, but that's a very different matter from being a SB contender.

And it's not like most of these teams were talented teams that underperformed either, the Chargers had a serious void in talent towards the end of the AJ Smith/Norv Turner era that carried much into the Tom Tolesco era. That isn't to even mention how terrible of a HC Mike McCoy was. Only in 2017 did you actually begin to see talented Chargers teams again.

Edited by Bolts223