Bold prediction: Chargers AFC Super Bowl LIV representative

Championshiporbust

On 06/07/2019 at 2:30 PM, rfournier103 said:

I agree that karma doesn’t exist (not a Hindu), but as far as Bill Belichick is concerned, people seem to forget that he’s paid to win football games. Period. Not to be “likable,” or a funny guy, or any other such nonsense. As long as enough good players can tolerate him and perform at a high level, his personality is a non-factor. 

I’m an electrician, and I much prefer working for nice people, but sometimes I get a foreman that is an a-hole. It happens. And I have yet to work for a contractor who cares one bit if the men think the boss is a bad guy or not. 

I don’t think Bill Belichick is a curmudgeonly in private as he is in public. 

And to your last point - ANYONE should want their coach, quarterback, and the entire team to never be satisfied! You want them to never get enough of winning! Has YOUR favorite team ever won the Super Bowl? Do you want them to win it just once, or do you want as many championships as possible? 

Serious question. 

I don't know why you're bothering. 

23 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

But the key is to not go into Foxboro in January. That stadium is where teams go to die - Brady and Belichick are 20-3 there in the playoffs.

That’s a pretty great record. I wish I could cite the source, but I’ve heard once that the Patriots have never lost at home while it was snowing out. 

Ever. 

Like since 1960. 

I don’t know if that’s true, but it sounds plausible. Not that playing the Patriots is ever easy, but your odds of winning go way down when the game is in Foxborough. 

17 hours ago, Xenos said:

Why can't you see the Chargers winning the division over the Chiefs? The Chiefs have Patrick Mahomes, but they have more question marks than the Chargers IMO. Will their defense actually improve under Spagnulo? How will their offense adapt if they miss Hill and teams now have a year's worth of film on Mahomes?

Edit: I do agree that the Patriots are the team to beat until proven otherwise. They are the Chargers' Kryptonite.

I’m going to say that until the Chargers dethrone the Chiefs, they (the Chiefs) are the team to beat in the West. Just like the Patriots are the reigning Super Bowl champions until someone eliminates them in the playoffs. 

The Chargers are chasing the Chiefs, and it’s up to them to catch KC. Until LA proves that they’re the better team on the field and in the standings, I just can’t pick LA. I have no particular love for the Chiefs, and I have nothing against the Chargers... that’s just how I see it. 

17 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

There is no real logical reason Chiefs should be favored over LAC. In fact, outside pedigree and history, there is no reason NE should be favored over LAC.  Of the top AFC teams from last year, Chargers had the least turnover in roster. KC lost alot of guys, gained some, Hill issue in the air. NE lost impact players as well.

Lets be honest, NE last year was not NE of other years.  They were 3-5 on the road with all 5 losses to non-playoff teams. They just turned it on in the playoffs and got alot of bounces their way. (Decimated CHARGERS defense, dee ford off sides, injuried Gurley).

Quote me. By week 7, there will be no question who the best team in the NFL and the AFC is. It will be Chargers. If im wrong i want everyone here to give me hell for atleast 2 weeks (after 2 weeks let me off the hook for a new comer)

No real reason NE should be favored over LA?  Really? I think the Patriots had a good draft and added some decent free agents. Losing Gronkowski was a terrible loss, but the Patriots have played and won without him before. 

I like the way the D is constituted at present, and I think a lot of people are going to be unpleasantly surprised at the Patriots’ ground game. The Pats are transitioning to a run-oriented offense, and most teams just aren’t built to stop that anymore. When they load up the front to stop the run, that’s when the quick hit passing will start. 

Oh, I’m afraid the Chargers will have their hands quite full should they play New England this January. 

10 hours ago, CKS97 said:

That stadium is basically a house of evil

It’s hard to win at Gillette Stadium, no doubt.

Patriots fans old enough to remember will recall the Orange Bowl in Miami and what a miserable place that was. The Dolphins had an 18-game home winning streak (in that stadium) against the Patriots that started in the AFL in November 1966 and wasn’t broken until the ‘85 AFC Championship Game. 

Miami is still a tough place for the Patriots. Denver, too. It’s fun stuff like this that keeps it interesting. 

By the way, that triumph over the Dolphins in the AFC Championship Game was the first Patriots game I ever watched, and I’ve been a diehard fan ever since. 

Pats fan since January ‘86. 

Edited by rfournier103
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

That’s a pretty great record. I wish I could cite the source, but I’ve heard once that the Patriots have never lost at home while it was snowing out. 

Ever. 

Like since 1960. 

I don’t know if that’s true, but it sounds plausible. Not that playing the Patriots is ever easy, but your odds of winning go way down when the game is in Foxborough. 

I’m going to say that until the Chargers dethrone the Chiefs, they (the Chiefs) are the team to beat in the West. Just like the Patriots are the reigning Super Bowl champions until someone eliminates them in the playoffs. 

The Chargers are chasing the Chiefs, and it’s up to them to catch KC. Until LA proves that they’re the better team on the field and in the standings, I just can’t pick LA. I have no particular love for the Chiefs, and I have nothing against the Chargers... that’s just how I see it. 

No real reason NE should be favored over LA?  Really? I think the Patriots had a good draft and added some decent free agents. Losing Gronkowski was a terrible loss, but the Patriots have played and won without him before. 

I like the way the D is constituted at present, and I think a lot of people are going to be unpleasantly surprised at the Patriots’ ground game. The Pats are transitioning to a run-oriented offense, and most teams just aren’t built to stop that anymore. When they load up the front to stop the run, that’s when the quick hit passing will start. 

Oh, I’m afraid the Chargers will have their hands quite full should they play New England this January. 

It’s hard to win at Gillette Stadium, no doubt.

Patriots fans old enough to remember will recall the Orange Bowl in Miami and what a miserable place that was. The Dolphins had an 18-game home winning streak (in that stadium) against the Patriots that started in the AFL in November 1966 and wasn’t broken until the ‘85 AFC Championship Game. 

Miami is still a tough place for the Patriots. Denver, too. It’s fun stuff like this that keeps it interesting. 

By the way, that triumph over the Dolphins in the AFC Championship Game was the first Patriots game I ever watched, and I’ve been a diehard fan ever since. 

Pats fan since January ‘86. 

And that's what makes the Patriots so deadly. Everyone follows trends, while they sets them. I will say this though. If the Charger's defense is healthy, it's one of the few that can stop the Patriot's run offense IMO. But of course, that all depends on the health of guys who have not shown to be completely durable yet ie. Denzel Perryman.

Chiefs won the division last year on a tie breaker. Neither team logically is the favorite. It should be a coin flip to most people on who will win the AFC West with a slight possibility Denver gels & wins. Any team beating the Patriots is a tough ask. They consistently win almost 4/5 games.

If the Patriots have home field it’s even worse. If I remember correctly they won like their first 20 home games straight when they opened Gillette. The first team to beat the Patriots at Gillette stadium? The now Defunct San Diego Chargers. 

2 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

Chiefs won the division last year on a tie breaker. Neither team logically is the favorite. It should be a coin flip to most people on who will win the AFC West with a slight possibility Denver gels & wins. Any team beating the Patriots is a tough ask. They consistently win almost 4/5 games.

If the Patriots have home field it’s even worse. If I remember correctly they won like their first 20 home games straight when they opened Gillette. The first team to beat the Patriots at Gillette stadium? The now Defunct San Diego Chargers. 

not quiet when they opened Gillette but they won 20 straight between 2003 and 2005 and then lost to SD.

8 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

not quiet when they opened Gillette but they won 20 straight between 2003 and 2005 and then lost to SD.

Being essentially unbeaten at home for 2 & 1/2 years is unreal. They have to have the record right?

39 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

Go read rfournier103's post earlier this thread. He is spot on and he's got no dog in this fight.

Chargers fans can keep thinking all offseason that they're neck and neck with the Chiefs but it's just not true. The Chiefs have to be considered clear favorites to win the West. You compare both teams and the Chiefs basically have a better offense across the board except at the RB position. The Chargers will have a better defense but nothing like the difference between both offenses. The Chiefs actually project to have a better Dline than the Chargers.

And then, the Chiefs clearly have the better HC and better QB.

Yeah, there is definitly a chance that the Chargers win the West but Chiefs should  be considered favorites and probably heavy favorites.

2 hours ago, Buckweath said:

Go read rfournier103's post earlier this thread. He is spot on and he's got no dog in this fight.

Chargers fans can keep thinking all offseason that they're neck and neck with the Chiefs but it's just not true. The Chiefs have to be considered clear favorites to win the West. You compare both teams and the Chiefs basically have a better offense across the board except at the RB position. The Chargers will have a better defense but nothing like the difference between both offenses. The Chiefs actually project to have a better Dline than the Chargers.

Yeah, there is definitly a chance that the Chargers win the West but Chiefs should  be considered favorites and probably heavy favorites.

A couple dudes on an internet message board doesn’t change the standings from last year. It doesn’t change that the former San Diego team went to Arrowhead late in the year and won. Chargers were a fantastic road team last year and being a homeless team, that’s likely to continue being a strength. 

Last year you had a great year offensively. Thanks for providing a year of tape on it so defenses can adjust to what you guys did. Assuming you will repeat that performance is hubris. Dismiss the difference in defense all you want, there’s three phases of the game. Good luck consistently trying to hard carry any one of the units if they are bad. 

I find it laughable you consider your defensive line is better. You can “project” all you want, the Chiefs have nothing on par with Bosa/Ingram and it’s wishful thinking that you’re going to be better there. Keep being a homer with your projections though if it helps you, we’ll see what happens when the games actually start being played. I’ve got a feeling that it will be a competition and not the runaway train victory you expect. Try not to be too disappointed. 

3 hours ago, Buckweath said:

Find me any credible site that has anything on the CHIEFS D being close to anything on the Chargers. Spoiler alert you wont. Chargers D will be possibly best in the league. KC will be lucky to be 16th.

On offense KC wont be anywhere close to last year. So with their regression and the Chargers already having a top 10 offense last year. There is a higher possibility Chargers have a better offense than KC than KC has a comparable defense, let alone better than LAC.

If Hill misses time, Chargers will have the better offense, no questions about it. They are getting back Hunter. Rivers and Hunter have the most efficient connection in the entire NFL.  If not for Hill, KC would of been swept by the Chargers, lost to Baltimore and possibly lost to Arizona. That is 9-7. That is with Mahomes putting up stats he will never put up again. If Hill misses 4 games, youre cooked holmes.

If Chargers have a good oline this year... they will be a better offense than KC. 

Only place you are correct is HC and its not by alot like it was with Norv and Mccoy. 

Me and you gonna have alot of talking to do in 60 days.

Outside of Vegas, most major publications have Chargers over KC. Stop fooling yaself, LAC is the safer bet.

Edited by Bearerofnews