2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

From PackersWire

According to Martinez, second-year linebacker Oren Burks – who operated as a starter next to Martinez in the base defense throughout the offseason workout program – has made the “biggest improvement” among defensive players in Green Bay.

“It’s just been awesome to see,” Martinez said after minicamp practice Wednesday. “It’s going to keep growing from there. Once we get pads on, those plays will become reality, it won’t be projected anymore. I think he’ll show up.”

If half of these suggestions come true about players making that 'leap', our defense is going to be a handful for all offenses this year. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

If half of these suggestions come true about players making that 'leap', our defense is going to be a handful for all offenses this year. 

And if Burks doesn't end up taking that leap, we at least have a very good ST player. Half full kinda thought. B|

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

We really should be disappointed if our defense doesn't turn in a top 10 performance this season.  Tons of resources have been poured into that unit ... anything less than a really solid defense is going to be hugely irritating.

43 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

We really should be disappointed if our defense doesn't turn in a top 10 performance this season.  Tons of resources have been poured into that unit ... anything less than a really solid defense is going to be hugely irritating.

I agree, but we've been pouring resources into it for 6-8 years and they've continued to disappoint. Now, I will say this year we've gone all in on defense with free agency and the draft. Hope Pettine can make it all come together because it is going to be a ton of fun to watch if he does. 

5 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I agree, but we've been pouring resources into it for 6-8 years and they've continued to disappoint. Now, I will say this year we've gone all in on defense with free agency and the draft. Hope Pettine can make it all come together because it is going to be a ton of fun to watch if he does. 

Draft resources are still unproven players.  

2019 additions are Z Smith, P Smith, Amos in addition to the 2 first round picks.  

49 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Draft resources are still unproven players.  

2019 additions are Z Smith, P Smith, Amos in addition to the 2 first round picks.  

That's essentially 5 new starters on defense if you include Gary's presence of being a role player (I assume he will play a good amount of snaps from the get go). 

We took two massive, glaring holes at both S and EDGE and turned them into strengths. We should be absolutely ecstatic for this upcoming season!

From PackersWire:

The Packers have been working with Burks on retraining his eyes.
Getting a better read on plays will allow the second-year linebacker to fly around and play faster.
“We’ve been working with him on his sightlines, where to put his eyes, and to move more efficiently,” linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti said. “He’s done a very good job with trying to be efficient with his feet, efficient with his angles and putting his eyes in the right spot. When he does that, he can move around and be a pretty good player.”

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

From PackersWire:

Getting a better read on plays will allow the second-year linebacker to fly around and play faster.
“We’ve been working with him on his sightlines, where to put his eyes, and to move more efficiently,” linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti said. “He’s done a very good job with trying to be efficient with his feet, efficient with his angles and putting his eyes in the right spot. When he does that, he can move around and be a pretty good player.”

That's like saying that you're working with a QB on retraining his accuracy. Makes sense, but man you hate to be having to tear the project that far down.

Don't know if I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but Nagler said the coaches were constantly yelling at Burks to get off blocks. It lasted all season sooo ..... don't know if recognition is part of this or not but sounds like a lot for him to get better at if you ask me.

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Makes sense, but man you hate to be having to tear the project that far down.

It does make sense, since Burks played 3 different positions during his 4 years at Vanderbilt

"During my time at Vanderbilt I gained 4 years of starting experience at 3 different positions which include Safety, Star (hybrid OLB/S), and Inside Linebacker."

47 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

It does make sense, since Burks played 3 different positions during his 4 years at Vanderbilt

"During my time at Vanderbilt I gained 4 years of starting experience at 3 different positions which include Safety, Star (hybrid OLB/S), and Inside Linebacker."

All of which include some level of reading the blocking engagement taking place in front of you.

I don't blame Burks for having problems. I just hate the pick.

59 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Reading the flow of a play doesn't have much to do with where you're standing on the field, but more to do with what's between the ears. You either have it or you don't. Burks is a smart guy, but he doesn't come off as football smart at all. Still with a good DL like we have and the upper echelon athletic ability he possesses it's not out of the question that he can't be a good see ball, chase and tackle player. I just don't expect him to possess the skills to ever get to the point where he's anticipating like the great LBs can.

12 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

From PackersWire:

I wonder if this is the kind of thing that we’re going to see people trying to handle with VR training during offseasons. I know you see VR training in sports like baseball with some decent evidence for effectiveness but there’s also a lot less moving parts there. 

12 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

usatsi_9536640-e1520372241896.jpg?w=1000

Wow! He really is a spitting image of Morgan Burnett, isn't he?