Oren Burks

Golfman

4 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I wonder if this is the kind of thing that we’re going to see people trying to handle with VR training during offseasons

That sure makes a lot of sense, especially if you can emulate what it looks like from each position
I'm gonna push back a bit on PRs comment above that it doesn't matter where you are standing on the field. Clay Matthews talked about how different everything looked when was playing inside vs at OLB. A safety has different reads than an ILB and he sees those reads from a different spot. I can see how VR would accelerate the learning curve and we know that different players learn differently. One -size-fits-all is rarely the answer 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Reading the flow of a play doesn't have much to do with where you're standing on the field, but more to do with what's between the ears. You either have it or you don't. Burks is a smart guy, but he doesn't come off as football smart at all. Still with a good DL like we have and the upper echelon athletic ability he possesses it's not out of the question that he can't be a good see ball, chase and tackle player. I just don't expect him to possess the skills to ever get to the point where he's anticipating like the great LBs can.

I once thought he didn't like contact.  Like he was playing a little scared out there.  Then I saw him get smoked on a running play where he took a wrong first step.  A guard just mauled and decleated him.  I truly thought he would hang his head and be officially "done".  Next play, he must have recognized something because it was a pitch outside, he read it right away, flew outside and blew the play up.  Not an arm tackle, not a heat seeking missile type hit, but just a great hard sure tackle.  Could have been for no gain or a loss.

Tells me that you are right...it's the football part between the ears.  He isn't afraid of contact.  Obviously the guy has incredible athletic gifts.  The game and position was just too much for him last year.

I think the kid needs reps and hard coaching, which I think he's getting.  Once the game slows down for him, I think he has a chance to be an impact player.

And that's tough for me to say, because I too did not like that pick one bit.  Even saying that, I'm not giving up on him.  He certainly didn't give up after being pancaked.

Re-training those eyes (and hopefully ours too) via Packers.com

Ross from Roswell, GA
Q: Gents, do you feel Oren Burks is ready to step in at ILB alongside Blake Martinez?

A: I do – because a lot of the same questions were asked about Martinez after his rookie year. Burks is as intelligent as he is athletic, and once the game slows down for him, I think you’re going to see how talented this young man really is. The Packers are counting on Burks to not only be Martinez’s stablemate, but also his primary backup in that every-down linebacker role. The guy is hungry. He’s ready to open some eyes.

ee6ysa5xltz6ladbnmnh.jpg

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Re-training those eyes (and hopefully ours too) via Packers.com

Ross from Roswell, GA
Q: Gents, do you feel Oren Burks is ready to step in at ILB alongside Blake Martinez?

A: I do – because a lot of the same questions were asked about Martinez after his rookie year. Burks is as intelligent as he is athletic, and once the game slows down for him, I think you’re going to see how talented this young man really is. The Packers are counting on Burks to not only be Martinez’s stablemate, but also his primary backup in that every-down linebacker role. The guy is hungry. He’s ready to open some eyes.

I root for Burks as much as the next guy, but I find Wes' reasoning a little flimsy. Using that logic, you could say just about any sophomore is ready to step in, just because there were questions about them as a rookie. And I honestly don't remember alot of people questioning Martinez. He got alot more PT as a rookie and was passable. 

I also remember them saying positive things about Rollins.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

I root for Burks as much as the next guy, but I find Wes' reasoning a little flimsy. Using that logic, you could say just about any sophomore is ready to step in, just because there were questions about them as a rookie. And I honestly don't remember alot of people questioning Martinez. He got alot more PT as a rookie and was passable. 

I won't put much stock in any Packers.com article, but the one point I agree with here is on Burks' intelligence. I think a lot of times you see guys who are phenomenal athletes but not really smart enough to put it together on the field. In Burks' case, maybe he'll never have the instincts, but at least his intelligence gives me hope that he'll figure it out.

• Like 1

Seems like every year there is a rookie who gets in the doghouse and most Packer fans have given up on the kid after an uneven rookie year. The list is long and illustrious to include several players who became perennial pro-bowlers. I"m not suggesting Burks is going to be among those, but 'the rumors of his death have been greatly exaggerated,' to quote Mark Twain! 

I'm betting on this kid to become a damned good football player for us. 

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:21 PM, TransientTexan said:

To be fair, Rollins did a few positive things his rookie year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...