Oren Burks

Golfman

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Was having a really tough time with his fits which looks lousy with the line he had in front of him.

He also looked like he wasn't sure where he was supposed to be in coverage quite a bit. If he was asked to make a read, too often it was wrong. 

The biggest issue he had though was that he didn't get a ton of snaps. Josh Jones played a lot of the passing downs and Morrison played the run downs. Given adequate snaps to work through the growing pains, the game may very well have slowed down for him. We just weren't willing to ride through it.

He was banged up as well. Here's to hoping his scheme study pays off this TC...

Ideal would be for both Burks and Crawford to get it and to step up.  Those are complementary guys, Burks obviously coming from the safety side of the ILB spectrum, and Crawford coming from the OLB side.  

Really want and need lots of these 2nd-year guys to step up as legit, capable NFL rotation guys who won't hurt you.  

I'm very optimistic for both.  Burks was hurt and made some mistakes.  Hopefully he'll be all healthy, and his decision-making will improve fast.  Playing more should help.  

But maybe a reminder that lots of combine speed doesn't help much if your brain can't tell you where to go.  HOpefully this year, it will be better able to.  

I'm also kind of hopeful that with all of the resources and commitment the Packers have made to their front guys in the DL/OLB group, that perhaps the ILB will be kept pretty clean.  

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I hope he starts to get it, but from the little I've read, it sounds like Crawford is ahead of him on the depth chart.  Gute and the position coached have gushed over the progress that Crawford has made.

Just for context: 

Burks has been with the starters all off season.

• Like 1

I was surprised when Rodgers in his presser this week, had some unsolicited favorable reference to "OB".  Yes, no pads, and Rodgers was in a cheerful positive mood, and I think in OTA's and camp he's always looking to try to be a leader and to speak positively about a lot of young players, he's always done that.  But I liked that kind of for no prompted or needed reason, he mentioned Burks positively, I assume because he's been playing effectively.  

Rodgers made reference to watching film; I think he does that for their passing plays and maybe seeing how the defense reacts.  So I suspect watching film from practice necessarily involves watching what the defensive guys like Burks are doing, whether that be making a mistake, or reading a play well, or whatever.  So it may be that Rodgers favorable-thus-far impression of Burks is not without foundation?  

32 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Man, for having the best last name as a defender in my memory of Packer history, Savage sure has a lame jersey number. 

I know what you mean, somehow 26 seems feeble. But, as I told my son when he missed out on his favorite number in high school, the player makes the number, pal, not the other way around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueswedeshoes said:

I know what you mean, somehow 26 seems feeble. But, as I told my son when he missed out on his favorite number in high school, the player makes the number, pal, not the other way around. 

Correct. The perception of the number is built by the players that have worn it previously.
If Savage lights it up you'll be adding 26 to your list of power numbers.

1 hour ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Chuck Cecil would like a word with you by the bike racks.  Nothing feeble about him.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I hate #26 not because it's a bland number historically, but because it just looks wrong.  21, 27, 25, 23, 42, 22, 24, 31, 30... Those numbers look fine. 

The only numbers I'm interested in are interceptions, passes defended, and QB ratings against Mr. Savage.

• Like 1

From PackersWire

According to Martinez, second-year linebacker Oren Burks – who operated as a starter next to Martinez in the base defense throughout the offseason workout program – has made the “biggest improvement” among defensive players in Green Bay.

“It’s just been awesome to see,” Martinez said after minicamp practice Wednesday. “It’s going to keep growing from there. Once we get pads on, those plays will become reality, it won’t be projected anymore. I think he’ll show up.”

• Like 1