Oren Burks

Golfman

via PackersWire:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/30/packers-camp-notes-lafleur-wants-more-consistency-from-lb-oren-burks/

Green Bay Packers coach Matt LaFleur was candid about where second-year linebacker Oren Burks needs to improve most during training camp. The Packers want to see more consistency from a young player who has the talent to be good. “He’s a really talented player, but I still think there’s a lot of room for growth there,” LaFleur said after Tuesday’s practice. “He’s had some really good plays and then there’s been some plays where you need better. The thing with him is consistency. He’s got the talent, he’s a great kid, he works his tail off, he’s a smart guy. It’s just about bringing it every day.”

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

via PackersWire:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/30/packers-camp-notes-lafleur-wants-more-consistency-from-lb-oren-burks/

Green Bay Packers coach Matt LaFleur was candid about where second-year linebacker Oren Burks needs to improve most during training camp. The Packers want to see more consistency from a young player who has the talent to be good. “He’s a really talented player, but I still think there’s a lot of room for growth there,” LaFleur said after Tuesday’s practice. “He’s had some really good plays and then there’s been some plays where you need better. The thing with him is consistency. He’s got the talent, he’s a great kid, he works his tail off, he’s a smart guy. It’s just about bringing it every day.”

That's coach speak for, "dude kinda sucks"

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's coach speak for, "dude kinda sucks"

I think he was fairly articulate with what he wanted to communicate.  

What bothers me is that Gute's tendency to draft guys with high RAS can also mean we get Oren Burks and Josh Jones instead of Josey Jewell and Des King.  Football IQ - especially at safety and inside backer -  must be a bigger factor for this front office.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/07/2019 at 2:53 AM, Cheech said:

I think he was fairly articulate with what he wanted to communicate.  

What bothers me is that Gute's tendency to draft guys with high RAS can also mean we get Oren Burks and Josh Jones instead of Josey Jewell and Des King.  Football IQ - especially at safety and inside backer -  must be a bigger factor for this front office.

Interestingly, Jake Ryan and Blake Martinez were both said to be the most instinctive players (or at least among the most instinctive) at the ILB position in their respective draft classes. Maybe the GM change has had some negative impact to go along with the positive.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

Another 3rd round bust. The 3rd round curse is real. Seriously how many 3rd rounders panned out for this team going  back to 06?  Maybe JJ?

probably 3-4: Burnett, JJones, Finley, maybe Spitz, depending on what you consider a "hit". they had a dry-spell from 2011-2015 when they went: (11)Green, (12) traded, (13) traded, (14) Thornton, RRod, (15) Monty, but that's a pretty small sample size of picks. 

overall, it's not far from league avg. only about 25% of late-3rd round picks become starters, much less good players. 

• Like 1