Oren Burks

Golfman

Curtis Bolton was getting reps with the #1 defense today. Sounds like he’s the better pass defender with Summers likely the run stopper.

Per Demovsky:

"The Packers used undrafted rookie Curtis Bolton in Burks' place during practice and had seventh-round pick Ty Summers working with the second-string defense even though Summers led the team with 10 tackles against the Texans."

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is this the part of the show where we get really upset about our GM sitting on his hands while an UDFA gets penciled in to start?

Yep. This is the thing that has bothered me the most since Gute's been in charge. He obviously knew he was gonna cut Mike Daniels. ILB was already our thinnest group (we let Jake Ryan go, Oren Burks still a problem, we only have Blake in his last year) and he knew we were going to have around 15M when we usually roll over around 6M. Now the only decent guy who is still free is Mason Foster, and I feel like we won't sign him due to the previous problems he's had in the lockeroom.

I'm been trying to guess who we could bring in to replace Burks. Lots of people have mentioned Te'o, Foster and Brown but they are not coverage LB. We could pick up Morrison but again not a coverage guy.

It would be nice to bring in an experienced player but I appreciate this may not be possible. One option could be Koron Crump. A tryout guy we brought in which we ended up not keeping. 

Most likely Gute will have to do what he did last year, trade for a player again like we did with Morrison for Pipkins.

25 minutes ago, Chili said:

I'm been trying to guess who we could bring in to replace Burks. Lots of people have mentioned Te'o, Foster and Brown but they are not coverage LB. We could pick up Morrison but again not a coverage guy.

It would be nice to bring in an experienced player but I appreciate this may not be possible. One option could be Koron Crump. A tryout guy we brought in which we ended up not keeping. 

Most likely Gute will have to do what he did last year, trade for a player again like we did with Morrison for Pipkins.

Josh Jones the likely bait in this supposed trade?

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Josh Jones the likely bait in this supposed trade?

I'd be surprised as Jones plays in the very same position Burks plays. Why weaken that position further?

If there was anyone who could be trade bait...maybe Moore,  Maybe Taylor,  Jammal Williams, dare I say it....Kumerow? xD

Seems like it's confirmed. From Packersnews.

Inside linebacker Oren Burks told teammates Saturday that he was going to be out for the rest of the season, but it appears the Packers are re-thinking that. More than likely Burks will go on injured reserve with a torn pectoral muscle, but if he can avoid surgery it’s possible he could make it back before the end of the year. The Packers would have to carry him on the roster through cutdown day for him to be eligible to return from injured reserve. In the meantime, GM Brian Gutekunst may add some depth to the position. But the staff is high on undrafted rookie Curtis Bolton and seventh-round pick Ty Summers has started to come on, so there’s no hurry.

"But the staff is high on undrafted rookie Curtis Bolton and seventh-round pick Ty Summers has started to come on, so there’s no hurry."

lol. Yeah, sure. Don't worry, with Burks out we have these two amazing options to hold it together.

1 minute ago, Norm said:

"But the staff is high on undrafted rookie Curtis Bolton and seventh-round pick Ty Summers has started to come on, so there’s no hurry."

lol. Yeah, sure. Don't worry, with Burks out we have these two amazing options to hold it together.

true. but tbf it not as if burks himself has done anything special so far in his career that would make him unreplaceable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chili said:

true. but tbf it not as if burks himself has done anything special so far in his career that would make him unreplaceable.

I was gonna add that in, not that there's much to replace. But either way, I think we should strive for more than Bolton or Summers, or should HAVE maybe, might be kinda late now to do too much. It happens I guess, guys get hurt. Not that many of us had hope for Burks anymore, like you were getting at.