Oren Burks

Golfman

11 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

ILB isn't neglected. The Packers have regularly spent at ILB from 2015 to 2018. They got Jake Ryan with a 4th in 2015, the following year they got Blake Martinez with a 4th. The year after that (2017)  they got a hybrid S/ILB in Jones with a 2nd. In 2018 they got Oren Burks with a 3rd. That does not add up to a neglected position. The loss of Jake Ryan has left the Packers thin here, but ILB has been addressed multiple times in the draft.

Jones can'[t even get on the field right now. 

Burks is injury prone now.

And like I said, no first round blue chip prospects have been drafted in... how long for the ILB position?

We can't even kick the tires on a Zach Brown when he's been available and he'd be our best ILB right now. 

I'd kick the tires on Mason Foster right now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

And like I said, no first round blue chip prospects have been drafted in... how long for the ILB position?

We can't even kick the tires on a Zach Brown when he's been available and he'd be our best ILB right now. 

I've already shown that the position is not neglected, if you are expecting first round picks there, you might be waiting a decade and not see one.

The problems you mentioned with Jones and Burks are irrelevant, because they WERE attempts to restock at ILB (or S/ILB hybrid for Jones), whether they were successful or not. There is a difference between that position being neglected and lacking strength in depth, the first is false, the second is true.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

14 hours ago, FAH1223 said:

We need a ILB. Gutekunst though probably pulls a TT and goes with the bunch of nobody kids on the roster, smh.

ILB is the most neglected position on the defense. No first round pick spent there. No good FA signing. 

Everyone is clamoring for a Luke Kuechly or Patrick Willis of the worlds, but fail to realize that you're more likely to get the AJ Hawk or Lawrence Timmons.

1 hour ago, FAH1223 said:

Just move Rashan Gary inside and move on. He would do fine.

I agree with Uglem on this one. If Burks' season is gone though, I think Gute will let him go. He hasn't been shy to give up on certain draft picks that haven't panned out and Burks and Jones will be in that group. We need results now and if guys are injury prone, we're not going to wait around for them unless they've proven themselves on the field. Burks and Jones have not, ergo they're expendable.

Edited by Joe

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Ross Uglem:  Packers GM Brian Gutekunst is pretty adamant about not writing off Oren Burks’ season.

Would have to see who else gets hurt. Using an IR-return on Oren Burks seems like kind of a bummer when there will probably be options at roster cut downs or for cheap draft picks

Is Sommers relevant to Burks?  I thought Burks was more a rangy coverage guy, on the safety-end of the ILB continuum; whereas Sommers was more a Martinez-style guy, well over from the safety-coverage end of the ILB spectrum?  

Which was why Bolton is more at issue for Burks, being perhaps a faster more coverage-oriented type of ILB?  

And likewise why Crawford maybe isn't heavily discussed in terms of Burks-replacement, being more on the physical tackling end of the ILB continuum?  

And perhaps why Greene and Jones are more likely to compete with Bolton for Burks-replacement snaps than Sommers or Crawford?  

Or maybe I'm way off, and Sommers and Crawford are very much in the picture.  Even if neither quite has the pass-coverage range that Burks, Greene, and Jones all have, or Bolton either....

Will be interesting to see how the snaps end up getting assigned.  But hopefully Gute is rightfully hopeful and Burks will end up being healthy and useful this season.  (And post-season!  :))

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

I agree with Uglem on this one. If Burks' season is gone though, I think Gute will let him go. He hasn't been shy to give up on certain draft picks that haven't panned out and Burks and Jones will be in that group. We need results now and if guys are injury prone, we're not going to wait around for them unless they've proven themselves on the field. Burks and Jones have not, ergo they're expendable.

No chance Gute gives up on Burks that fast, IMO. This is a guy he traded up for less than 18 months ago. Keep him on the 53, put him on IR, find another guy to fill out the end of the roster. There's no reason to cut him unless you absolutely can't abide losing a guy like Fadol Brown or Chandon Sullivan.

7 minutes ago, craig said:

Is Sommers relevant to Burks?  I thought Burks was more a rangy coverage guy, on the safety-end of the ILB continuum; whereas Sommers was more a Martinez-style guy, well over from the safety-coverage end of the ILB spectrum?  

Which was why Bolton is more at issue for Burks, being perhaps a faster more coverage-oriented type of ILB?  

And likewise why Crawford maybe isn't heavily discussed in terms of Burks-replacement, being more on the physical tackling end of the ILB continuum?  

And perhaps why Greene and Jones are more likely to compete with Bolton for Burks-replacement snaps than Sommers or Crawford?  

Or maybe I'm way off, and Sommers and Crawford are very much in the picture.  Even if neither quite has the pass-coverage range that Burks, Greene, and Jones all have, or Bolton either....

Will be interesting to see how the snaps end up getting assigned.  But hopefully Gute is rightfully hopeful and Burks will end up being healthy and useful this season.  (And post-season!  :))

I think his combine profile kinda sums up what he is. Sounds like someone who came into college as a Safety and left as an ILB.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ty-summers?id=32195355-4d60-6964-28e0-f107fd758851

1 minute ago, Lodestar said:

No chance Gute gives up on Burks that fast, IMO. This is a guy he traded up for less than 18 months ago. Keep him on the 53, put him on IR, find another guy to fill out the end of the roster. There's no reason to cut him unless you absolutely can't abide losing a guy like Fadol Brown or Chandon Sullivan.

I get it, but Gute just cut a guy who we traded up for and didn't pan out mainly due to injury. I could see Burks getting let go due to the severity of the injury and/or the fact that it's a recurrent injury.