Trent Williams Wants to be Traded or Released

HTTRDynasty

So... Trent Williams hasn't shown up to mandatory mini-camp, and everyone assumed yesterday it was contract-related before this bomb dropped:

Note: it's from JLC, so we can only assume there's at least a 50% chance it's BS, but he's also pretty dialed in to what goes on at Redskins park, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.

The medical situation he's referring to is the tumor Trent had removed from his head (not the brain), and Trent is still recovering from that.  It's obviously a serious situation, and I can only imagine how many ways the Redskins could have done Trent dirty here.

I was on the organization's side until this tweet, but I'm still not going to completely take it at face value.

Anyway, my question is, how much would you give up in compensation for Trent Williams at this point in his career (30 going on 31 soon)?  Would you give up a 2020 1st, 2nd, or 3rd?  A player for player swap?  He's still an elite LT when healthy.  I'm trying to get a feel for what other fans think he's worth.

18 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Anyway, my question is, how much would you give up in compensation for Trent Williams at this point in his career (30 going on 31 soon)?  Would you give up a 2020 1st, 2nd, or 3rd?  A player for player swap?  He's still an elite LT when healthy.  I'm trying to get a feel for what other fans think he's worth.

Clowney. In a heartbeat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Clowney. In a heartbeat.

Wouldnt be a bad trade for either team.  Clowney is younger and has shown he can be great, while Trent has been and will probably continue to be a top OT in the league.  Texans would win the trade, but Washington has to get something of value back and Clowney can be that asset.

5 minutes ago, daineraider said:

Wouldnt be a bad trade for either team.  Clowney is younger and has shown he can be great, while Trent has been and will probably continue to be a top OT in the league.  Texans would win the trade, but Washington has to get something of value back and Clowney can be that asset.

Nah, an edge rusher with injury concerns is the last thing we need.

I would love if we could trade Trent for Stefon Diggs straight up, but I'm sure the Vikings wouldn't do it.

6 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Nah, an edge rusher with injury concerns is the last thing we need.

I would love if we could trade Trent for Stefon Diggs straight up, but I'm sure the Vikings wouldn't do it.

I can understand the lack of need for an edge rusher, but I think the injury concerns are out the window now - Clowney has missed one game in the last two years, he's more reliable than people give him credit for. 

As far as WRs - nothing really available that isn't a core piece of the offense. Hopkins, Fuller and Coutee fit their spots as well as you need them to.

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I can understand the lack of need for an edge rusher, but I think the injury concerns are out the window now - Clowney has missed one game in the last two years, he's more reliable than people give him credit for. 

As far as WRs - nothing really available that isn't a core piece of the offense. Hopkins, Fuller and Coutee fit their spots as well as you need them to.

A microfracture surgery and two arthroscopic surgeries on his knee would make me extremely hesitant to pull the trigger, even if we did have a big need at EDGE.  I understand he hasn't missed much time recently, but I would still be worried going forward.

44 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

A microfracture surgery and two arthroscopic surgeries on his knee would make me extremely hesitant to pull the trigger, even if we did have a big need at EDGE.  I understand he hasn't missed much time recently, but I would still be worried going forward.

It did for me as well, but the last two seasons turned me. Is he playing until he's 35? Probably not, but you're getting high level to elite performance for the next 5-7 years. 

There's worry, sure - but in a potential "no win" situation with a LT coming off of a medical issue and getting into his 30s, you're not getting much more than this.

Edit: I get the issue might be less than what's being mentioned, but let's pretend there's fire to this smoke...

I mean, look at what the Texans got for Duane Brown (an All Pro LT in his 30s coming off a quad injury and having issues with ownership): A 2018 3rd round pick and a 2019 2nd round pick. 

Frankly, that's your line. I personally think Clowney is worth more than that... but that's just me.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'll trade you Ronnie Stanley for him.

Ok, now we're talkin'.  I'd do that trade in a second.  

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It did for me as well, but the last two seasons turned me. Is he playing until he's 35? Probably not, but you're getting high level to elite performance for the next 3-4 years. 

There's worry, sure - but in a potential "no win" situation with a LT coming off of a medical issue and getting into his 30s, you're not getting much more than this.

Edit: I get the issue might be less than what's being mentioned, but let's pretend there's fire to this smoke...

I mean, look at what the Texans got for Duane Brown (an All Pro LT in his 30s coming off a quad injury and having issues with ownership): A 2018 3rd round pick and a 2019 2nd round pick. 

Frankly, that's your line. I personally think Clowney is worth more than that... but that's just me.

Trent Williams is a better LT than Duane Brown.  I think that's pretty universally acknowledged.  But yeah, I get your point.  I doubt we get a 1st, unless it's a late first from a desperate playoff team.  I just don't think we'd want or need Clowney, especially if we're only getting 3-4 good years out of him.  We have a similar prospect right now in Sweat.  And Ryan Anderson is looking like he'll be a great run defender off the edge.

10 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Trent Williams is a better LT than Duane Brown.  I think that's pretty universally acknowledged.

I think you vastly underestimate how good Duane Brown was during the Matt Schaub years. He went two seasons without giving up a sack or holding penalty in his prime, IIRC. He was 2nd team All Pro last year, 2nd team All Pro in 2011 and 1st team All Pro in 2012.

Williams might be better (and I doubt it's universally acknowledged, given that both have the same number of All Pro nods) but it's not some massive gap.