Top 50 Prospects Currently in the NFL

tannenballs

On 7/13/2019 at 7:56 AM, Ozzy said:

Including the 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 NFL draft classes.  Here is a top 100 list I made quickly, sure I missed some players but is a better example I feel than a 1 year sample size and hard to compare players who are less experienced for sure.  So going back 4 years and did not include the 2019 class.

Top 100:

Patrick Mahomes QB
Saquon Barkley RB
Joey Bosa DE
DeShaun Watson QB
Myles Garrett DE
Jalen Ramsey CB
Danielle Hunter DE
Michael Thomas WR    
Carson Wentz QB  
Baker Mayfield QB
Jamal Adams  S  
Derwin James S  
Quenton Nelson OG
Ezekiel Elliott RB  
Todd Gurley RB  
Josh Allen QB
Alvin Kamara RB
Amari Cooper WR
Minkah Fitzpatrick CB/S
DeForest Buckner DL
Denzel Ward CB  
Sam Darnold QB  
Jonathan Allen DL
Chris Jones DL  

Landon Collins S  
Leighton Vander Esch LB  
David Johnson RB  
Leonard Williams DE
Mitchell Trubisky QB
Brandon Scherff OT
Marshon Lattimore CB  
Stephon Diggs WR    
TJ Watt OLB
Jack Conklin OT
Ryan Ramczyk OT  
George Kittle TE
John Johnson  S
Calvin Ridley WR
Tre'Davious White CB
Leonard Floyd LB
Leonard Fournette RB  
Roquan Smith LB   
Darius Leonard LB
Marcus Davenport DE  
Daron Payne DL  
Melvin Gordon RB  
Termaine Edmunds LB
Jared Goff QB 
Andrus Peat OL
OJ Howard TE
Vita Vea DT
Laremy Tunsil OL
Bradley Chubb LB   
Jameis Winston QB
Vic Beasley LB  
Dak Prescott QB
Mike McGlinchey OT    
Josh Rosen QB      
Lamar Jackson QB    
Preston Smith LB
Christian McCaffrey RB
Derek Henry RB
Jaylon Smith LB  
Trey Flowers DE  
Keau Neal S
Marcus Peters CB
Ryan Kelly C
Jarrad Davis LB  
Buddha Baker S
Cody Whitehair C
Shaquill Griffin CB  
Ronnie Stanley OT
Sony Michel RB
JuJu Smith-Schuster  WR   
Dalvin Cook RB  
Tre Waynes CB 
Byron Jones DB
Deion Jones LB  
Marlon Humphrey CB  
Jessie Bates S
Desmond King S
Benardrick McKinney LB
Joe Schobert LB
Jabrill Peppers S
Dan Feeney OG
James Conner RB
Eddie Jackson S 
Myles Jack LB 
Matt Judon LB
Joe Mixon  RB 
Malcom Brown DT
Eric Kendricks LB 
Austin Hooper TE
Frank Clark DE  
Jordan Howard RB
Evan Engram TE  
Adoree' Jackson CB 
Garett Bolles OT  
Zach Cunningham  LB
Justin Simmons S  

Please explain how you have 9 safeties ahead of Eddie Jackson, who is arguably the best S in the game 2 years into his career?

13 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Please explain how you have 9 safeties ahead of Eddie Jackson, who is arguably the best S in the game 2 years into his career?

The first four it is not even a discussion in my book, they are by far better than Eddie Jackson is long term.  Sure could make an argument him with over Bates and King, maybe even Neal because Neal's limitations in coverage.  Johnson I love his upside in coverage and physically in the box Collins is far better than Jackson I feel.  But to me Eddie is a fine ball hawk at safety, amazing ball skills really and can return a little as well.  But Eddie is not a great tackler and does have a slight injury history in college.  But sure could have him a little bit higher on this list though no question about it.  It is hard to rank so many players at different positions with different sample sizes.  To me Jackson I am not sure his ceiling is as high as some of the other safeties.  But I doubt many would take him over Jamal Adams, Derwin James, Fizpatrick or even Collins unless they were looking for a pure FS type not a in the box safety with a little more versatility.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

The first four it is not even a discussion in my book, they are by far better than Eddie Jackson is long term.  Sure could make an argument him with over Bates and King, maybe even Neal because Neal's limitations in coverage.  Johnson I love his upside in coverage and physically in the box Collins is far better than Jackson I feel.  But to me Eddie is a fine ball hawk at safety, amazing ball skills really and can return a little as well.  But Eddie is not a great tackler and does have a slight injury history in college.  But sure could have him a little bit higher on this list though no question about it.  It is hard to rank so many players at different positions with different sample sizes.  To me Jackson I am not sure his ceiling is as high as some of the other safeties.  But I doubt many would take him over Jamal Adams, Derwin James, Fizpatrick or even Collins unless they were looking for a pure FS type not a in the box safety with a little more versatility.

longterm?

Derwin

Jamal

Eddie

still 3rd

3 hours ago, SBLIII said:

longterm?

Derwin

Jamal

Eddie

still 3rd

Looking at it more sure I might underrate him, he was injured that last year on Alabama, fell to being a 4th round pick and was not able to do pre draft athletic drills either to show his obvious speed and athletic ability on paper.

I am just not sure he can keep up the crazy high playmaking numbers he has put up especially last season.  Amazing ball skills and plays in a system that lets him succeed.  Again not sure how long it will last though and again it depends on what one is asked to do.  In the NFL today since passing is premium and running the ball not so much he must love it because passing is all a lot of teams do.  He is not an all around player though and is one dimensional a little bit, will be interesting how they play with Ha Ha now who I feel is a better player than Amos was and has a long of range and length as well at safety.  But the Bears defense overall played out of their mind good last year, will all of them especially Jackson be able to keep up that production I do not know.  

Thus is overall ceiling and long term consistency I question a little bit with Jackson but maybe I do need to watch him some more.

Looking at it again maybe I would put Jackson behind Ryan Ramczyk, but his lack of tackling I still would take Landon Collins, Derwin James and Jamal Adams over Jackson.  In coverage alone sure Jackson is just as good but depends on what you want the safety to do.  Fitzpatrick is probably more a slot S/CB/FS type but he might have a higher upside but will see could drop him down a little near or below Jackson as well.  

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Looking at it more sure I might underrate him, he was injured that last year on Alabama, fell to being a 4th round pick and was not able to do pre draft athletic drills either to show his obvious speed and athletic ability on paper.

I am just not sure he can keep up the crazy high playmaking numbers he has put up especially last season.  Amazing ball skills and plays in a system that lets him succeed.  Again not sure how long it will last though and again it depends on what one is asked to do.  In the NFL today since passing is premium and running the ball not so much he must love it because passing is all a lot of teams do.  He is not an all around player though and is one dimensional a little bit, will be interesting how they play with Ha Ha now who I feel is a better player than Amos was and has a long of range and length as well at safety.  But the Bears defense overall played out of their mind good last year, will all of them especially Jackson be able to keep up that production I do not know.  

Thus is overall ceiling and long term consistency I question a little bit with Jackson but maybe I do need to watch him some more.

Looking at it again maybe I would put Jackson behind Ryan Ramczyk, but his lack of tackling I still would take Landon Collins, Derwin James and Jamal Adams over Jackson.  In coverage alone sure Jackson is just as good but depends on what you want the safety to do.  Fitzpatrick is probably more a slot S/CB/FS type but he might have a higher upside but will see could drop him down a little near or below Jackson as well.  

I guess if you want an inferior player you can have other safeties.  I'll take the best in the game.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I guess if you want an inferior player you can have other safeties.  I'll take the best in the game.

Maybe I do underrate him, where you would put him top 100 players in the NFL since the 2015-2018 draft classes?  I just do not think he is no Earl Thomas and again it is because of the tackling or lack of great high level hitting and tackling.  He plays on a defense with Hicks who is an elite DL and a Pro bowl level player, then they have Mack who is a Pro bowl and All Pro 1st team type player.  Surround that with Kyle Fuller who is one of the best CBs in the game and a Pro bowler, have Roquan Smith who had a fine rookie year and a lot of range as a ILB, Trevathan who is wildly productive in a 3/4 defense and Leonard Floyd who is one of the best athletes in the NFL at LB.  Goldman holding down the middle at NT, they had Callahan in the slot who is now gone but did a great job at that position, will see if McManis can take his place and if not Skrine or Duke Shelley might be able to do that slot spot.  Then you have Prince at the other CB spot and he is tough and physical and can press receivers very well, loved him out of Nebraska.  Has kind of underachieved as a pro but might have found a home in Chicago.  And Ha Ha will add even more to that defense and again is better than Amos anyway.

So the guy is surrounded by a crap ton of defensive talent which allows him to just play the football and make plays because most of all the other bases are covered.  Put him on the worst defense in the NFL would he be just as successful?  Not quite sure he would, Sean Taylor is a guy who I view as an elite high level safety, Ed Reed, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, Earl Thomas etc.  Not sure Eddie Jackson is in that group thus I do not rank him that high in it because not sure his ceiling is as high.  Has been playing great early in his career, will see if he and that Bears defense can keep that up this year and for years beyond.

29 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

also where is Shaq Mason? That dude is an absolute wall.

Shaq Mason I like a lot, has played great and was drafted a lot lower than he should have been.  But also helps where he is, look at the drastic drop in what Nate Solder was on New England to what he was on the Giants last year.  I loved Trenton Brown on the Patriots this past season but will be very curious how he is on the Raiders this year, I think the same goes for Mason.  That system and that offense does not expose offensive lineman and if you are steady and smart you can play for awhile and Mason is that, sound at the point of attack and a good player, just not sure how elite he is if one was building a team and ranking what best players to build around.  Same with David Andrews and to a less degree Cannon, just solid dang players who are consistent and perform well in that system.  

19 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe I do underrate him, where you would put him top 100 players in the NFL since the 2015-2018 draft classes?  I just do not think he is no Earl Thomas and again it is because of the tackling or lack of great high level hitting and tackling.  He plays on a defense with Hicks who is an elite DL and a Pro bowl level player, then they have Mack who is a Pro bowl and All Pro 1st team type player.  Surround that with Kyle Fuller who is one of the best CBs in the game and a Pro bowler, have Roquan Smith who had a fine rookie year and a lot of range as a ILB, Trevathan who is wildly productive in a 3/4 defense and Leonard Floyd who is one of the best athletes in the NFL at LB.  Goldman holding down the middle at NT, they had Callahan in the slot who is now gone but did a great job at that position, will see if McManis can take his place and if not Skrine or Duke Shelley might be able to do that slot spot.  Then you have Prince at the other CB spot and he is tough and physical and can press receivers very well, loved him out of Nebraska.  Has kind of underachieved as a pro but might have found a home in Chicago.  And Ha Ha will add even more to that defense and again is better than Amos anyway.

So the guy is surrounded by a crap ton of defensive talent which allows him to just play the football and make plays because most of all the other bases are covered.  Put him on the worst defense in the NFL would he be just as successful?  Not quite sure he would, Sean Taylor is a guy who I view as an elite high level safety, Ed Reed, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, Earl Thomas etc.  Not sure Eddie Jackson is in that group thus I do not rank him that high in it because not sure his ceiling is as high.  Has been playing great early in his career, will see if he and that Bears defense can keep that up this year and for years beyond.

Shaq Mason I like a lot, has played great and was drafted a lot lower than he should have been.  But also helps where he is, look at the drastic drop in what Nate Solder was on New England to what he was on the Giants last year.  I loved Trenton Brown on the Patriots this past season but will be very curious how he is on the Raiders this year, I think the same goes for Mason.  That system and that offense does not expose offensive lineman and if you are steady and smart you can play for awhile and Mason is that, sound at the point of attack and a good player, just not sure how elite he is if one was building a team and ranking what best players to build around.  Same with David Andrews and to a less degree Cannon, just solid dang players who are consistent and perform well in that system.  

Where would I put him?  Somewhere in the top 10 overall.  He is 2 years into his career and is the best damn safety in the game, with no sign of slowing down.  And he didnt just come on last year.  He was tremendous as a rookie too (when there was no Mack).  He did something that almost never happens, and started as a rookie from day 1 of camp under John Fox.  And it's not a coincidence that Eddie Jackson shows up and Kyle Fuller and Adrian Amos all of a sudden look a whole lot better (again before Mack)  Kyle likes to play off man A LOT and attack the ball.  Having Eddie behind him makes that job a lot easier bc QBs are more timid about throwing deep.  Amos was good as a rookie as a box safety, but was awful playing centerfielder his 2nd year.  His 3rd year Jackson comes in and he gets to play the strong and becomes PFFs top rated safety.  The Packers just massively overpaid Amos, and Eddie is the reason.  When 2 years into your career you have a legitimate argument as the Best, you are the best prospect.at your position unless another recent draftee has a legit argument as well.  There isnt.  Harrison Smith, Earl Thomas, and maybe Landon Collins are the only guys considered on Eddie's level right now.  To put up 9 safeties ahead of him, isnt just insulting, its insane.

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Where would I put him?  Somewhere in the top 10 overall.  He is 2 years into his career and is the best damn safety in the game, with no sign of slowing down.  And he didnt just come on last year.  He was tremendous as a rookie too (when there was no Mack).  He did something that almost never happens, and started as a rookie from day 1 of camp under John Fox.  And it's not a coincidence that Eddie Jackson shows up and Kyle Fuller and Adrian Amos all of a sudden look a whole lot better (again before Mack)  Kyle likes to play off man A LOT and attack the ball.  Having Eddie behind him makes that job a lot easier bc QBs are more timid about throwing deep.  Amos was good as a rookie as a box safety, but was awful playing centerfielder his 2nd year.  His 3rd year Jackson comes in and he gets to play the strong and becomes PFFs top rated safety.  The Packers just massively overpaid Amos, and Eddie is the reason.  When 2 years into your career you have a legitimate argument as the Best, you are the best prospect.at your position unless another recent draftee has a legit argument as well.  There isnt.  Harrison Smith, Earl Thomas, and maybe Landon Collins are the only guys considered on Eddie's level right now.  To put up 9 safeties ahead of him, isnt just insulting, its insane.

you aren't wrong about your assessment in general but you named the wrong names at the bottom. 

7 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Did you watch Eddie Jackson in college?  Did you have him ranked that highly coming out of Alabama?  Again the pre draft stuff hurt him because he did get injured before he came out but in college he made some plays but I did not view him as having that high of a ceiling.  Kyle Fuller was a high 1st round pick and an elite CB prospect coming out of Virginia Tech, you think he would have never been good without Eddie Jackson?  Please.  Amos that I agree with you on, he is not that good and not worth that contract he got.  Did you have this glowing opinion of him at Alabama or are you just a Bears fan that takes PFF as the bible on everything?

In terms of PFF, I do not rank players according to what others say.  Sounds like you are using that as proof of everything but PFF rankings are not the be all and end all.  Sure if one wanted to go off that doing a top 100 list like this would be easy but I feel those rankings are grades but do not grade everything that goes into being a fine football player.  Sure technical grades are fine but will see how that goes into ones long term upside and potential.  Lucky for Eddie Jackson it is a some what down time for safeties, Earl Thomas and Weddle almost ready to retire, will see if Eric Berry can get back to normal but my guess is he will be about to retire as well.  Ed Reed, Kam Chancellor, Brian Dawkins, Polamalu and the late Sean Taylor are already done with playing and to me Eddie Jackson will never reach their level of play and being able to be a great tackler and fine in coverage outside of maybe Chancellor.

I still feel Jackson tackling is an issue, but since safeties cannot tackle or hit like Brian Dawkins did lucky for him that is not a factor in the game of today, all that matters is getting to the spot and closing on the widows in coverage and he can do that for sure.  There is a lack of top level safeties in the league but they cannot do what they have always done for years so it is an odd time to be a safety and one does need a different set of skills.

I just simply would not put him top 10, you feel he is as good of a tackler as Adams or James?  No way that is the case, sure if one is only looking at deep coverage and range but tackling he is no where near as good as Adams or James or Collins or Neal.  Reed, Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Dawkins, Polamalu and Sean Taylor were all great tackles and great hitters.  Eddie Jackson to me is not that right now thus still needs to work on some things.

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Did you watch Eddie Jackson in college?  Did you have him ranked that highly coming out of Alabama?  Again the pre draft stuff hurt him because he did get injured before he came out but in college he made some plays but I did not view him as having that high of a ceiling.  Kyle Fuller was a high 1st round pick and an elite CB prospect coming out of Virginia Tech, you think he would have never been good without Eddie Jackson?  Please.  Amos that I agree with you on, he is not that good and not worth that contract he got.  Did you have this glowing opinion of him at Alabama or are you just a Bears fan that takes PFF as the bible on everything?

In terms of PFF, I do not rank players according to what others say.  Sounds like you are using that as proof of everything but PFF rankings are not the be all and end all.  Sure if one wanted to go off that doing a top 100 list like this would be easy but I feel those rankings are grades but do not grade everything that goes into being a fine football player.  Sure technical grades are fine but will see how that goes into ones long term upside and potential.  Lucky for Eddie Jackson it is a some what down time for safeties, Earl Thomas and Weddle almost ready to retire, will see if Eric Berry can get back to normal but my guess is he will be about to retire as well.  Ed Reed, Kam Chancellor, Brian Dawkins, Polamalu and the late Sean Taylor are already done with playing and to me Eddie Jackson will never reach their level of play and being able to be a great tackler and fine in coverage outside of maybe Chancellor.

I still feel Jackson tackling is an issue, but since safeties cannot tackle or hit like Brian Dawkins did lucky for him that is not a factor in the game of today, all that matters is getting to the spot and closing on the widows in coverage and he can do that for sure.  There is a lack of top level safeties in the league but they cannot do what they have always done for years so it is an odd time to be a safety and one does need a different set of skills.

I just simply would not put him top 10, you feel he is as good of a tackler as Adams or James?  No way that is the case, sure if one is only looking at deep coverage and range but tackling he is no where near as good as Adams or James or Collins or Neal.  Reed, Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Dawkins, Polamalu and Sean Taylor were all great tackles and great hitters.  Eddie Jackson to me is not that right now thus still needs to work on some things.

Who cares about college, we are talking about the NFL, and I'm not using PFF at all, I'm saying Eddie's ability to play the deep safety, lead to Amos being rated as the best S in football by PFF.  As for Kyle, he deserves a ton of credit from going from a 1st round bust to an all pro, but you cant overlook the fact that that transition just happened to coincide with the arrival of Eddie Jackson, and Adrian Amos went from being an average safety to one of the best SS statistically.  I dont give a rat's behind what you thought was  his ceiling coming out, he is the best damn safety in the league, that's what his ceiling is.  As far as being on the level of Reed,  You might want to watch some film, bc that's what Eddie is.  He just became the fastest safety ever to 5 TD returns.  He is a ball hawk of the highest order.  The fact that you are so concerned with what he did in college, vs what he IS now, just says everything you need to know about your ranking.

11 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Who cares about college, we are talking about the NFL, and I'm not using PFF at all, I'm saying Eddie's ability to play the deep safety, lead to Amos being rated as the best S in football by PFF.  As for Kyle, he deserves a ton of credit from going from a 1st round bust to an all pro, but you cant overlook the fact that that transition just happened to coincide with the arrival of Eddie Jackson, and Adrian Amos went from being an average safety to one of the best SS statistically.  I dont give a rat's behind what you thought was  his ceiling coming out, he is the best damn safety in the league, that's what his ceiling is.  As far as being on the level of Reed,  You might want to watch some film, bc that's what Eddie is.  He just became the fastest safety ever to 5 TD returns.  He is a ball hawk of the highest order.  The fact that you are so concerned with what he did in college, vs what he IS now, just says everything you need to know about your ranking.

Amos is the best rated safety in football by PFF, well that is proof no to go on the book with those ratings.  Glad you do not use them because many do especially in terms of argument sake.

As for what they do in college, that is what I do.  I actually watch players in college and try to project them to the next level.  You have apparently have no clue how good a player was in college or what they have been or what they become before they got to the NFL.  How they progressed and improved in college means apparently nothing to you which provides a slightly odd perspective to their ceiling or potential from you point of view.  But it is a different perspective I provide. You just want to go off of rookie performance as fact of greatness go ahead.  But fact is he did play before he got to the NFL and what he did in college does show something about what he can become long term at times.  

In terms of Non-offensive touchdowns, Eddie Jackson has a lot of them because he was a punt return man in college his last year and took two back to the house in college.  Clearly has return skills and more often than not defensive backs with return ability return INTs for TDs.  Just as Ed Reed, Charles Woodson, Deion Sanders, DeAngelo Hall, Nate Clements etc.  Being in the right place and returning picks for TDs early in your career is not proof of greatness.  RW McQuarters had 7 non offensive TDs and I do not view him as this all time great CB, and yeah he was a return man as well at times.  

Ask Charles Tillman how at times the TDs just stop coming from those turnovers and interceptions.  He was great at it for a few years on good defenses but is hard to keep that up long term.  In a two year span he had 5 TDs from interceptions and the other 11 years he had a total of 3.  

The fact you do not comment on his tackling what so ever because why?  I view that as a weakness of his, to you it means nothing apparently because you never address it.  One on one with a ball carrier to tackle you think Jackson is the same as Landon Collins, Jamal Adams or Derwin James?  Because he is not, he is a coverage man and yes Ed Reed could take better than Eddie Jackson can.   Did I underrate Jackson a little in this original list, sure I did looking at it now but I say his tackling does need to improve.  Reshad Jones has made two pro bowls as a safety but I do not view him as this super elite safety talent, good player sure but nothing to build a team around.  It is a weak time for safeties and some more have to develop, but does help players get into Pro Bowls.  Think Eddie Jackson would have got to the NFC East Pro bowl starter with John Lynch and Brian Dawkins around, no.  Or AFC with Rod Woodson, Rodney Harrison and Lawyer Milloy.

Eddie Jackson was a CB at Alabama his first two years and did get injured multiple times in his Alabama career.  Did splash and made big time returns in special teams for TDs and returns of INTs for TDs.  Good range, playmaker and active in coverage no doubt but is limited tackling and does have a injury history that is a cause or concern.  Is a CB playing safety and has taken advantage of it for sure, was some what limited as a CB but fits right in at safety and helps he is on the Bears defense.  Will see if he can keep up this and become this all world safety Hall of Famer you make him out to be.  

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I dont give a rat's behind what you thought was  his ceiling coming out, he is the best damn safety in the league, that's what his ceiling is. 

Hard to argue with this gem.

I’ll leave the top 10 prospect stuff out - it’s straight LOL worthy to call him Reed. Jackson is closer to a Jairus Byrd, with return ability. Which is a huge compliment, he’s been balling. But Ed Reed? Please. Hopefully I’m misreading something, because that’s funny stuff.

Edited by Yin-Yang