Pre Snap Reads: Trubisky analysis

WindyCity

``Not many quarterbacks can hit receivers in stride more than 50 yards away. Taylor Gabriel doesn’t have a wide catch radius but he is capable of getting on top of defenders on vertical routes when they are too aggressive with their initial coverage. Trubisky perfectly places this ball outside the defender and puts enough distance on it so that Gabriel doesn’t have to slow down or reach back.

The sustained velocity on this ball is striking. It’s Cam Newton-like in how it flies from the quarterback’s hand to its ultimate destination.``

Oh, the negativity.

``Besides his general obliviousness of defenders reading his eyes or waiting for him to throw the ball directly to him, Trubisky also had a constant problem with being late on throws. This is likely a reflection of his lack of comfort in the offense. He took too long to diagnose and deliver, allowing defenders to jump into passing lanes they otherwise wouldn’t be in.

That’s something that can be more reasonably expected to improve. The longer he plays in the system the more comfortable he should be with the timing``

Even the negativity is fairly presented.

I think if you want to get a real feel for where Tru was in this offense, there are 3 games that are really good evaluations.  Detroit, GB, PHI.  Detroit was when he was really starting to settle in with what he could do in the offense.  There are entire drives of him running check with me, changing plays at the los, and making reads.  He was trusting what his eyes were seeing.  And delivering strikes.  Against GB, after the LAR where Tru's timing was clearly off and he was late on everything, clearly didnt believe what he was seeing, Nagy took him back to fundamental football.  He did a great job of using the presnap motion to force the defense to declare and Tru just kept the chains moving.  Phi was the most impressive tape of the whole year.  Forget about the fact that it's the most important game.  Tru had one of his best assets, his ability to extend plays and move the chains with his feet taken from him early on.  He HAD to sit in the pocket, find the open man and deliver the ball.  There were some execution issues in the routes, as pointed out above by @sugashane, as well as some playcall gaps from Nagy, and credit where it's due, PHI took away Cohen from the gameplan.  This basically left Tru with his 3 options at WR and not much else.  10 delivered big time.  Throwing dime passes to Miller and more importantly Arob, who played his best game of the year as well.  The 4th qtr of that game is a thing of beauty from a QB standpoint.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

That is the entire point of the article.

When he is bad, it is bad, but on the other hand when he is good he is elite. Elite arm strength and making throws that only a handful of other QBs can make.

The inconsistency that Fahey point to is the problem, drive-drive, quarter-quarter, game-game.

Personally, I think Mitch is going to take a big step this season. I think if he simply cuts the `what the hell`` plays down, which should come with experience and reps, then the bottom comes up and the top has always been high.

I would expect a whole lot of inconsistency from any young QB just learning a new offense.  Especially one with as little college experience as Mitch had.

IMHO he has the perfect HC, OC and QB Coach working with him.  They know just how much to push him and how much to relax and let Mitch be Mitch and make some mistakes he eventually learns not to repeat.

I agree with you. He should do well this year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Oh, the negativity.

That's fine. Doesn't jibe with the "NO middle ground" notion in the OP, does it? 

And me stating that a "NO middle ground" position is ridiculous doesn't even BEGIN to equate to white knighting Trubisky. 

I'm on record in stating that his floor is "good". And that's all. You continue to attack Pace, and these players, and that's fine. I don't care. If that's your opinion, that's your opinion. But  don't skate around issues. We can discuss whatever. Just don't simply say you're not posting what you're posting. We all have above average reading comprehension skills here. 

• Like 1

Personally, I think Mitch is going to take a big step this season. I think if he simply cuts the `what the hell`` plays down, which should come with experience and reps, then the bottom comes up and the top has always been high. quote by Windy. I agree with you Windy. This is year 2 in Nagy's offense. Less Thinking, more seeing and understanding. I just read that he was now seeing the defense and anticipating what the nickle would be and do and counter attack it. That's year 2 thinking and understanding. MT imo is in the place of a perfect storm. He is a very good athlete that has a very good arm. Is able to see things , understand the next step and learn, and he has offensive genius like Nagy calling plays. Give these two guys time and they will bring back trophies to Halas Hall.

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Personally, I think Mitch is going to take a big step this season. I think if he simply cuts the `what the hell`` plays down, which should come with experience and reps, then the bottom comes up and the top has always been high.

I agree with this completely, and I don’t think it’s an unrealistic expectation both from the standpoint of typical QB progression and with familiarity as a concept in general. The more you practice and more so practice correctly the more proficient you become at anything. Anyone who watched the entirety of last season with an objective eye will see both the “holy s***” bad plays but also the “holy s***” good plays too. With less of the former and the same amount of the latter (a likely progression arc) he’s a pro bowl candidate again next year, and with less of the former and more of the latter (a completely plausible one) he’s a star and the primary reason we are winning games.

IMO, if you were able to cut through all the BS and homerism that every fan base has I think those fans of teams outside of Chicago are genuinely concerned that Mitch might be a special player because of what that means. A solid Trubisky makes us a likely perennial playoff contender. A really good or great Trubisky makes us a dominant one that’s young at every key position. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

IMO, if you were able to cut through all the BS and homerism that every fan base has I think those fans of teams outside of Chicago are genuinely concerned that Mitch might be a special player because of what that means. A solid Trubisky makes us a likely perennial playoff contender. A really good or great Trubisky makes us a dominant one that’s young at every key position. 

Not only fans but the media representing them and the NFL in general.

For decades they've been able to count on the Bears either messing up the QB situation or failing to find good coaching and support for the one good QB we did have so his potential was never reached.

The Bears have a scary good defense and if Mitch and the offense catch up to them that makes for a very scary team all around.  What I perceive is a whole lot of whistling in the dark hoping Mitch becomes more like Blake Bortles than Aaron Rodgers.

After Lovie was fired the Bears have always been good for a laugh then just like that in just one season with a rookie HC and a QB who was little more than a rookie himself it stopped.  Some think we'll fade again like JAX but a whole lot more are worried we won't.

• Like 1

Other people believe what they want to believe.  

Based on his play he didn’t always look that good and was really bad at times.  I’m not denying that.  So they say he is average at best, stinks at worst based off what they are seeing at that moment.  They say we are believing what we want to believe and he is what he is.

But they are refusing to look at context of where he was at in development which is grossly unfair from fans and a little or a lot stupid for self titled or actual professionals.  Nobody within Bearsdom was saying  he was going to be good in 2018 this time last year.  Everyone said it was a developmental year and it was.  We are supposed to throw that out and say he is what he is during a developmental stage and that’s all he will ever be? 

If you can’t see he has talent to play you don’t know what you are looking at.  I’m not convinced yet he can be great, being great is hard, but I am pretty sure he can be really good if things break right for him this season and beyond.  He isn’t as physically talented as some of other young QBs in league, but he is as physically talented or more so than Drew Brees and Tom Brady who are cemented great.  A lot more to being a great QB than having a cannon and size.  We’ll see if he gets coaching and situation to take next steps. 

I am positive he will be much better than many people think this year.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, soulman said:

After Lovie was fired the Bears have always been good for a laugh then just like that in just one season with a rookie HC and a QB who was little more than a rookie himself it stopped.  Some think we'll fade again like JAX but a whole lot more are worried we won't.

All due respect to Lovie Smith if he ever has a great QB it’s coming from another coach. 

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

All due respect to Lovie Smith if he ever has a great QB it’s coming from another coach. 

IMHO a good deal of the problems with Lovie's offenses is he lacked good OCs and QB coaches.

I don't know that Rex was capable of ever being a whole lot more than he was but Cutler was horribly misused.

The offenses were never built around his strong points.  He was always expected to adapt to whatever system yet another OC brought in with him.  Gase may have come closest but didn't stick around long enough to complete the job.

Contrast that era and thinking to how we're approaching it now.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

IMHO a good deal of the problems with Lovie's offenses is he lacked good OCs and QB coaches.

I don't know that Rex was capable of ever being a whole lot more than he was but Cutler was horribly misused.

The offenses were never built around his strong points.  He was always expected to adapt to whatever system yet another OC brought in with him.  Gase may have come closest but didn't stick around long enough to complete the job.

Contrast that era and thinking to how we're approaching it now.

Why you don't hire DC's to be head coaches unless they are well rounded enough they can do both like Belichick.  

You need offensive continuity to be successful over a 4 year+ period.  Defense can change in a season.  It is way easier to learn and many more of the concepts are universal.

If you have a veteran QB who understands enough passing concepts and their accompanying reads and pass protections then it is way easier to change offenses.   It's just some different words meaning same things.  Smash is still smash in any offense.  Stick is still stick,  4 verts still 4 verts, etc. etc.   There are some unique things from system to system and that's where learning comes in.  But once you have enough base concepts mastered adding to it is easy.  

Why Rodgers won't struggle much with OC change unfortunately.  He understands enough passing concepts and protections that learning some different terminology and a few different wrinkles means little to him.  A Peyton Manning won't struggle much with a coaching change.  He is the OC.  

But young QBs or QBs who have been poorly taught over years need continuity and that's why it's stupid to have DC's be HC's changing OC's every time they do a good job and leave for a HC job.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Why you don't hire DC's to be head coaches unless they are well rounded enough they can do both like Belichick.  

You need offensive continuity to be successful over a 4 year+ period.  Defense can change in a season.  It is way easier to learn and many more of the concepts are universal.

But in Belichick's case you have to admit he's had some very good offensive coaches as well.  McDip**** may have been exactly that as a HC here in Denver but as an OC he's top shelf and Scarnecchia is another OL guru like Heistand so he has surrounded himself with good coaching talent.

But I agree 100% with the need for continuity on offense which is why our constant changeover of OCs was so frustrating when Cutler was here.  He'd get 1/3 to 1/2 of the offense mastered and then have to start all over again.  Lack of a consistent approach to his offense was Lovie's Achilles Heel.

• Like 1