Cubs to sign Closer Craig Kimbrel - 3 years, $43M

pwny

Pretty solid deal overall for the amount of years and actually less money than i was hoping the braves would sign him for lol.   The braves front office is so cheap and sorry at times we made a massive profit last year over the season and were told they were going to raise the payroll a good bit when in reality they lowered the payroll and refuse to even spend enough to get back to what it was last year while pocketing the extra money we as fans spent last year instead of bettering the team.

6 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Pretty solid deal overall for the amount of years and actually less money than i was hoping the braves would sign him for lol.   The braves front office is so cheap and sorry at times we made a massive profit last year over the season and were told they were going to raise the payroll a good bit when in reality they lowered the payroll and refuse to even spend enough to get back to what it was last year while pocketing the extra money we as fans spent last year instead of bettering the team.

Braves have a stupidly young core of guy. I would hope they would invest in keeping it long term, as well as finding a younger arm than Kimbrel.

6 hours ago, Slateman said:

Braves have a stupidly young core of guy. I would hope they would invest in keeping it long term, as well as finding a younger arm than Kimbrel.

The braves are in the advantageous position of being very young but also very capable of making a deep playoff run. Signing Kimbrel wouldn't mean they lose their young core, or that it would somehow prevent some young arm from developing, as you imply. Would have been a nice signing. 

This is a great signing for the cubs. Their bullpen has been horrendous this year. They really needed some stability on the back end.

Kimbrell obviously had some issues in the post season, but once that fat POS eric gagne pointed out that he was tipping pitches, he went back to being himself

On 6/6/2019 at 11:08 AM, Slateman said:

I don't see how we can't do that quite easily while still picking up Kimbrel.  Signing Kimbrel to a 3 year deal would have given up a legit closer which we sorely need for the next few years without costing us any prospects.  If anything we need to get rid of some prospects via trade as we can't keep all of them and it wouldn't hurt to add some more legit quality vets to this team. 

15 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

I don't see how we can't do that quite easily while still picking up Kimbrel.  Signing Kimbrel to a 3 year deal would have given up a legit closer which we sorely need for the next few years without costing us any prospects.  If anything we need to get rid of some prospects via trade as we can't keep all of them and it wouldn't hurt to add some more legit quality vets to this team. 

You can, but why do it? Kimbrel is a diva and wants to close. So two years from now, when he's not nearly as good because he's throwing 94-95 instead of 98, he's going to continue to demand the closer role.

Braves are on the cusp of a dynasty. They need to make the moves that continue that.

And there's no such thing as too many prospects. Particularly on the pitching side. But hey, if you have too man prospects, I'll be happy to have the Nats trade you Sean Doolittle for Cristian Pache and Touki Toussaint.

13 hours ago, Slateman said:

You can, but why do it? Kimbrel is a diva and wants to close. So two years from now, when he's not nearly as good because he's throwing 94-95 instead of 98, he's going to continue to demand the closer role.

Braves are on the cusp of a dynasty. They need to make the moves that continue that.

And there's no such thing as too many prospects. Particularly on the pitching side. But hey, if you have too man prospects, I'll be happy to have the Nats trade you Sean Doolittle for Cristian Pache and Touki Toussaint.

Hands off Pache he's gonna be awesome at the next level and will be our CF of the future.  Also me and you view Kimbrel much differently as i am a huge fan of his and don't think he will break down in 2 years or so.  He was also never really a diva at all while he was a brave so i can't knock on him for that either.     Now as for the too many prospects thing what im saying is you can't protect them all and everyone of them won't make the big leagues.  So they will start to get devalued and you take a good chance to losing them to the rule 5 draft as well.  So if you can send a few here and there for someone that makes you much better then you do it.   This isn't just for kimbrel though im talking trades for many of things like a elite starting pitcher or a elite position player where you might be lacking at or as said a elite closer.    Kimbrel still has filthy stuff and should be good for a few more years i would think and it would have let us keep those prospects to use on other things than closer be it starting rotation or a bat.   As for doolittle im good on that i would want better than him if im trading away good prospects.  I've never been a huge doolittle fan overall atleast not enough to trade a pache or touki for him.

On 6/9/2019 at 2:12 PM, FalconFan13 said:

The SF Giants will trade you Will Smith, he has been dominant for a few years now but he stepped into the closer role last year and has been lights out. Hes damn near unhittable to be honest. 

We have a horrible farm system, so this seems like a good match for both sides

On 6/11/2019 at 9:55 PM, N4L said:

The SF Giants will trade you Will Smith, he has been dominant for a few years now but he stepped into the closer role last year and has been lights out. Hes damn near unhittable to be honest. 

We have a horrible farm system, so this seems like a good match for both sides

Thats actually a big possibility and is talked about a boatload on our local radio stations here in Georgia daily.   Their seems to be a link between the 2 teams from what our beat writers are saying and as you said we both have what the other team needs so it's a great fit.   Theirs also another guys name thats being thrown around alot on our local stations as well in shane greene but im alot more iffy on him as this is really his 1st super dominant year with a few bad years thrown in there.   Still i would have rather had Kimbrel back without giving up prospects if i had my choice but that boat has sailed so whatever on that.

On 6/14/2019 at 12:31 AM, FalconFan13 said:

Thats actually a big possibility and is talked about a boatload on our local radio stations here in Georgia daily.   Their seems to be a link between the 2 teams from what our beat writers are saying and as you said we both have what the other team needs so it's a great fit.   Theirs also another guys name thats being thrown around alot on our local stations as well in shane greene but im alot more iffy on him as this is really his 1st super dominant year with a few bad years thrown in there.   Still i would have rather had Kimbrel back without giving up prospects if i had my choice but that boat has sailed so whatever on that.

Greene is a mirage. 30 years old and just now having a breakout season after not really changing a thing?

.181 BABIP in 2019 when his career number is around .310. Fastball average is down  to 92.9 average this year, 1.4 MPH less than last season.

I feel like our front office is too smart to trade for him.  One of the three guys on the Giants that are on the last year of their deal does seem like the most likely option. It probably wouldnt take too much to get them and we could get rid of one of the backend 40 man roster guys that would probably have a lot of value for a team like the Giants(Allard, Wilson).

Felipe Vasquez would be another option. Proven track record at the back end of a pen, but he would definitely cost more. Really team friendly deal through 2021 with a couple options, and he is only 27. He would definitely cost a bigger prospect package that would probably be headlined by either Contreras or Muller.

15 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Greene is a mirage. 30 years old and just now having a breakout season after not really changing a thing?

.181 BABIP in 2019 when his career number is around .310. Fastball average is down  to 92.9 average this year, 1.4 MPH less than last season.

I feel like our front office is too smart to trade for him.  One of the three guys on the Giants that are on the last year of their deal does seem like the most likely option. It probably wouldnt take too much to get them and we could get rid of one of the backend 40 man roster guys that would probably have a lot of value for a team like the Giants(Allard, Wilson).

Felipe Vasquez would be another option. Proven track record at the back end of a pen, but he would definitely cost more. Really team friendly deal through 2021 with a couple options, and he is only 27. He would definitely cost a bigger prospect package that would probably be headlined by either Contreras or Muller.

Yeah as i said im iffy on Green as well and would rather look elsewhere.  With that said if we keep trotting this garbage in Luke Jackson out there to blow games left and right im willing to try almost anything at this point.   I still don't understand why the heck Swarzack can't get a look at closer he has been fricken lights out since he has been here.  I don't want Luke to touch a ball after the 7th inning of any game i want Swar in the 8th and a legit closer on this team pronto.