Joe Staley Signs Two Year Extension

J-ALL-DAY

17 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

looking back..its crazy that in 2007, Willis and Staley would be cornerstone players for us. 

What's even crazier is that it was a DC with no previous front office experience that is responsible for those two picks. People can say what they want about Nolan as a coach but aside from taking Smith over Rodgers, he could definitely spot talent. It is veey possible that he drafted two HOFs in one draft and three total with Gore. How many lengendary GMs can say that? 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

What's even crazier is that it was a DC with no previous front office experience that is responsible for those two picks. People can say what they want about Nolan as a coach but aside from taking Smith over Rodgers, he could definitely spot talent. It is veey possible that he drafted two HOFs in one draft and three total with Gore. How many lengendary GMs can say that? 

If we dig deeper, he also picked Goldson and Ray McDonald. Two guys who would play very good under Harbaugh/Fangio; Tarell Brown was also a solid player for us during the same time. 

Deep down inside of me, I liked Nolan. I just didn't think Norv Turner did us/him any favors when he bailed on us for the SD job.

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

If we dig deeper, he also picked Goldson and Ray McDonald. Two guys who would play very good under Harbaugh/Fangio; Tarell Brown was also a solid player for us during the same time. 

Deep down inside of me, I liked Nolan. I just didn't think Norv Turner did us/him any favors when he bailed on us for the SD job.

I think Nolan is a good football guy, but his ego was that of a much more successful coach. He got way too cute with his defense and thought he could outcoach other teams, instead of just going with what works. He could spot talent, but then couldn't figure out to use it. Then you have a guy like Fangio who'll take whatever he has and make the most out of it. I'm really curious to see how Fangio will do this year. Well deserved shot at HC.

Back to Nolan, the man carried himself out like a HC, said a lot of good things, but ultimately, he could talk the talk, but not walk the walk. But even with the talk, he dropped the ball on several occasions (most notably, calling out Alex for not playing through a separated shoulder). I think he was ready to celebrate his legacy before even having created it. 

Harbaugh could run circles around Nolan. And now, I think Kyle could run circles around Harbaugh. Love Kyle (even we're still iffy on the talent evaluation process). Let's win some games now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

I think Nolan is a good football guy, but his ego was that of a much more successful coach. He got way too cute with his defense and thought he could outcoach other teams, instead of just going with what works. He could spot talent, but then couldn't figure out to use it. Then you have a guy like Fangio who'll take whatever he has and make the most out of it. I'm really curious to see how Fangio will do this year. Well deserved shot at HC.

Back to Nolan, the man carried himself out like a HC, said a lot of good things, but ultimately, he could talk the talk, but not walk the walk. But even with the talk, he dropped the ball on several occasions (most notably, calling out Alex for not playing through a separated shoulder). I think he was ready to celebrate his legacy before even having created it. 

Harbaugh could run circles around Nolan. And now, I think Kyle could run circles around Harbaugh. Love Kyle (even we're still iffy on the talent evaluation process). Let's win some games now.

I always thought Nolan would be a better HC his second time around. He had a old school outlook on the game, from a team culture perspective that ultimately cost him. I think he would have fared much better if given another opportunity. 

That being said, I also believed he'd be a much better GM than head coach. I thought all his drafts were solid. Aside from obvious picks like Gore, Staley, and Willis, he saw the raw potential in guys like VD, Delaine, Haralson, and Michael Robinson. He was the one who envisioned Justin Smith as 3-4 DE. I think that part of the game, he understood better than most give him credit for. 

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I liked the players he brought in and that he brought the suit back to the sideline. I don't like the way he coached or handled his players (see: Alex Smith, 2007 shoulder injury). Unfortunately, the latter two things are probably the more important two for a head coach. 

---

On-topic, really happy to see Joe here beyond 2019, and that I won't have to suffer through the nightmare of seeing him in another uniform. All-time great 49er.

• Like 1