Genard Avery, signs point he is no longer a LB

buno67

https://twitter.com/jake_burns18/status/1136611986702311424?s=21

13. Genard Avery has seen all of his work come as an EDGE with no time spent at linebacker. He seems to have made the full conversion and Wilks uses him in sub packages bumping Garrett inside and letting Avery work the edge. A place where he was one of the most productive in the NFL as a rookie.

————————

Posted the article in the OTA thread but pulling this segment out cause it seems like it needs its own thread so it can be discussed. 

Burns reports that it seems like Avery has been moved to as a edge defender. He has taken no reps as a LB so far in mini camp. 

I love the idea of making him the DE and bumping Garrett inside. 

Avery Garrett Richardson Vernon seems like a great rush package to have.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Wilks only uses 2 LBs. So it would make sense to get him more playing time on the edge. 

True but reports say he hasn’t taken a single rep at LB for team or group sessions. 

Avery might be better as a pure pass rusher anyways. Could be our version of a Dee Ford

1 hour ago, CBrownsman said:

I thought last year that Avery was a MUCH better DE than he is a LB.  He can play LB by why when rushing the QB is his best quality. 

I like him to take over for Vernon when we can no longer afford a 2nd high priced DE

I think we’ll regret trading zeitler for Vernon. Avery should be starting. 

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s awfully small for a 3 down DE.

Not saying he couldn’t do it, but I wonder how he’d do if teams start running at him.

Not ideal size but there’s been a few smaller guys who have had success. Vernon is about an inch taller. I don’t see how size would keep him from stopping the run. Wouldn’t be much of a difference if he played OLB. 

38 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s awfully small for a 3 down DE.

Not saying he couldn’t do it, but I wonder how he’d do if teams start running at him.

Agreed I'd run at him all day, rt, te combo block would eat his lunch for sure.

Edited by Kiwibrown
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Not ideal size but there’s been a few smaller guys who have had success. Vernon is about an inch taller. I don’t see how size would keep him from stopping the run. Wouldn’t be much of a difference if he played OLB. 

Vernon is much thicker though he is a brick. 

Avery has massive thighs but isnt as think from the waste up, there is a 20-30 pound difference between the two of them.

21 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Vernon is about an inch taller. I don’t see how size would keep him from stopping the run. Wouldn’t be much of a difference if he played OLB. 

260+ lbs of mostly lean muscle vs 240 lbs is a huge difference to not include with that extra inch in size.   OLB and DE are not played the same way.  

• Like 2