Lions sign a wide receiver

GetDownandDirty

8 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

You have no clue if kearse is even that type of guy.....

Why help guys trying to take your job

That's a fair assessment, I don't. We also don't know that he isn't that kind of guy. If you are a veteran player, you know the scheme and you're confident in your abilities then I would think it would lead to you being more open to helping younger guys and trying to generate wins for the team. I'm not saying he's going to take guys aside and help them out with their route running or whatever. Just terminology and concepts as they're rolling out the Bevell offense. That's what a team guy would do in my books and that's what I am hoping for as a fan. However, you could be 100% right. We'll see what the media reports say over the next few weeks.

11 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

That's a fair assessment, I don't. We also don't know that he isn't that kind of guy. If you are a veteran player, you know the scheme and you're confident in your abilities then I would think it would lead to you being more open to helping younger guys and trying to generate wins for the team. I'm not saying he's going to take guys aside and help them out with their route running or whatever. Just terminology and concepts as they're rolling out the Bevell offense. That's what a team guy would do in my books and that's what I am hoping for as a fan. However, you could be 100% right. We'll see what the media reports say over the next few weeks.

If he doesn't make the lions the way the lions are viewed might as well call his career over

So why spend the os helping anyone I get that it's the right thing to do and you might have something but on a one year deal I'm not buying it

Farve wasn't gonna tutor Rodgers to take his job.. it's not all roses man

On 2019-06-10 at 10:35 PM, Rockcity2 said:

If he doesn't make the lions the way the lions are viewed might as well call his career over

So why spend the os helping anyone I get that it's the right thing to do and you might have something but on a one year deal I'm not buying it

There is another angle. Veterans can mentor outside of their position group. Diet, training, how to be a pro are all valuable. I’m not saying he’s the guy as I don’t know much about him. 

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 10:35 PM, Rockcity2 said:

QB's are a bit of a different animal IMO. There are only 32 starting spots in the league. Most teams have 2-3 guys at the position - that's it. A WR room is going to have 5-6 without even factoring in PS. A QB is supposed to be a lot more internally driven where the competitive nature amongst a group helps push those guys to be better.

We don't know what his career plans are after he hangs it up. If he wanted to get into coaching, this is definitely a good way to start.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

QB's are a bit of a different animal IMO. There are only 32 starting spots in the league. Most teams have 2-3 guys at the position - that's it. A WR room is going to have 5-6 without even factoring in PS. A QB is supposed to be a lot more internally driven where the competitive nature amongst a group helps push those guys to be better.

We don't know what his career plans are after he hangs it up. If he wanted to get into coaching, this is definitely a good way to start.

Thought you said if your confident in your ability...

And on top of it we are talking about a guy who's best season is 800yds and now struggling to find a team. I'm not that naive.. And hope I'm not the only one.. I mean he doesn't offer enough as a 4th string unless an early season injury happens. No st has little if anytime in the slot..

I really don't understand why you wouldn't give one of these other guys a shot... JK isn't worth it imo and we haven't even begun with possible cuts from other teams..

Annd JK's stats like his catch rate his drops.. Hugh one in the sb... what's so appealing.. sounds like we need some new coaching

For me going in and looking at the roster right now I have him 7th... I'm simply not wasting the time and especially money that we need to make 2 of our best players happy 

But I guess we need all the coaches we can get....

31 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Thought you said if your confident in your ability...

And on top of it we are talking about a guy who's best season is 800yds and now struggling to find a team. I'm not that naive.. And hope I'm not the only one.. I mean he doesn't offer enough as a 4th string unless an early season injury happens. No st has little if anytime in the slot..

I really don't understand why you wouldn't give one of these other guys a shot... JK isn't worth it imo and we haven't even begun with possible cuts from other teams..

Annd JK's stats like his catch rate his drops.. Hugh one in the sb... what's so appealing.. sounds like we need some new coaching

For me going in and looking at the roster right now I have him 7th... I'm simply not wasting the time and especially money that we need to make 2 of our best players happy 

But I guess we need all the coaches we can get....

WR's and DB's are very confident (sometimes overly), tend to be vocal and showy. This works better in a group setting where every guy is trying to beat the other guy with the top guys challenging the others to try and beat him.

They aren't asking for him to be the top WR. He's a veteran guy that knows the offense and provides some depth. We haven't seen what he has looked like in workouts before signing and how he's really looked in mini-camp. There is value in having a guy that knows how to operate in the offense and what it is like to be a NFL pro. If he can work his way up the depth chart and beat out some of the younger guys, then we should have a stronger WR group. Especially with a scheme change.

This is a process and there is still a long way to go. We should all wait and see how this develops.

On 6/12/2019 at 5:47 PM, diehardlionfan said:

There is another angle. Veterans can mentor outside of their position group. Diet, training, how to be a pro are all valuable. I’m not saying he’s the guy as I don’t know much about him. 

Oh holy god 

Please stop with this. I don't want to be a jerk in here, but you all are gonna make me start yelling, saying stuff like this

9 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Oh holy god 

Please stop with this. I don't want to be a jerk in here, but you all are gonna make me start yelling, saying stuff like this

Well go ahead and yell if it makes you feel better. Heck if it makes you feel better, yell all the time. You might get good at it.

In any organization, especially one whose product is based on skill, mentorship is not only important, it’s sought out. Culture is important, especially in an organization that has never had a history of success. 

At this stage of the off season, filling out a depth chart,  many attributes are considered. It’s not just about skill on the field. It’s about culture, dedication, commitment, personal accountability and setting an example. The Lions need accountability, leadership etc. In case you haven’t noticed the Lions aren’t a successful organization. 

So go ahead and yell. Louder now, I can’t hear you.

16 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Well go ahead and yell if it makes you feel better. Heck if it makes you feel better, yell all the time. You might get good at it.

In any organization, especially one whose product is based on skill, mentorship is not only important, it’s sought out. Culture is important, especially in an organization that has never had a history of success. 

At this stage of the off season, filling out a depth chart,  many attributes are considered. It’s not just about skill on the field. It’s about culture, dedication, commitment, personal accountability and setting an example. The Lions need accountability, leadership etc. In case you haven’t noticed the Lions aren’t a successful organization. 

So go ahead and yell. Louder now, I can’t hear you.

Ya but how is this guy a leader..

If this guy brings the things your suggesting why a one year deal?

This guy I wouldn't call the model of success 

All he doing imo is blocking someone else from success.. 

It's like damn you know what he offers and it's not much.. I personally don't wanna watch this guy drop ball after ball. Alexander, Lacy, the 3 rooks, Jones and Powell I'm more excited about... not someone that simply just knows some of the offence or is a nice guy... this offence is not gonna be the exact same as say in Seattle any way... we need these coaches to do better period not just throw away money at guys who knows terminology...

9 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

It's like damn you know what he offers and it's not much.. I personally don't wanna watch this guy drop ball after ball. Alexander, Lacy, the 3 rooks, Jones and Powell I'm more excited about... not someone that simply just knows some of the offence or is a nice guy... this offence is not gonna be the exact same as say in Seattle any way... we need these coaches to do better period not just throw away money at guys who knows terminology...

Amendola is only on a 1 year deal. He's coming in as another former NE guy to add a piece in the WR room while also helping invoke the culture change they're bringing to the team. Patricia and Quinn are trying to incorporate a lot of the stuff they learned while in NE and bringing their own spin to it. A guy like Amendola understands what they're trying to accomplish and is an established vet that has been a part of championship teams. Kearse was a part of a championship team in Seattle. Knowing what goes into being a championship team - team chemistry, study habits, practice habits, etc. are all important pieces that can help translate into on field success.

All of this off-field stuff only gets you so much room to be on a roster if you aren't contributing on the field.

Teambuilding isn't a linear process. It's not an exact science, where you mix in this particular set of variables and get the same result each time. The Lions will probably wind up making 30 roster moves during the course of the season itself, let alone bringing in guys in the off-season to be a part of the 90 man group. If it was as simple as throwing a bunch of guys out there who can run a 4.3, things would be a lot easier.

This is a lot of discussion over a veteran guy that is familiar with our scheme, at a position where we can use depth, who is trying to get his career back on track. There's Stafford playing with a broken back, new DL, etc. I know the off-season doesn't leave a lot to discuss but this definitely feels like we're spinning in circles.

6 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Amendola is only on a 1 year deal. He's coming in as another former NE guy to add a piece in the WR room while also helping invoke the culture change they're bringing to the team. Patricia and Quinn are trying to incorporate a lot of the stuff they learned while in NE and bringing their own spin to it. A guy like Amendola understands what they're trying to accomplish and is an established vet that has been a part of championship teams. Kearse was a part of a championship team in Seattle. Knowing what goes into being a championship team - team chemistry, study habits, practice habits, etc. are all important pieces that can help translate into on field success.

All of this off-field stuff only gets you so much room to be on a roster if you aren't contributing on the field.

Teambuilding isn't a linear process. It's not an exact science, where you mix in this particular set of variables and get the same result each time. The Lions will probably wind up making 30 roster moves during the course of the season itself, let alone bringing in guys in the off-season to be a part of the 90 man group. If it was as simple as throwing a bunch of guys out there who can run a 4.3, things would be a lot easier.

This is a lot of discussion over a veteran guy that is familiar with our scheme, at a position where we can use depth, who is trying to get his career back on track. There's Stafford playing with a broken back, new DL, etc. I know the off-season doesn't leave a lot to discuss but this definitely feels like we're spinning in circles.

He must have a ton of knowledge...

Bc a blind cat could avg more than 30yds a game over his career and 17 tds 

And like you said they have Danny how many of these types do we need..

Just my opinion but this just isn't the way you build up your team. You build your youth... kinda how they do it in baseball.. you really don't know what you have even in preseason when you have back-up qbs throwing at them ...you gotta bite the dam bullet and give some of these guys a true chance.. not one or two plays here and there.. I mean shot this is exactly how the undrafted jk got a shot

All this culture talk is just bull... for the fans.. I mean what are you saying if we have 10 former Superbowl players on one year deals booom we are better...

This is an indictment on the coaching iyam.. 

But I'll chill and hope the roster is right before the season

On 2019-06-20 at 11:33 PM, Rockcity2 said:

I don’t know that. 

How is that different than anything we discuss? 

A one year deal? Perhaps because they’re counting on player development. 

Obviously I’m not an NFL exec or past NFL player but I have years of experience building teams in a highly skilled profession.  Assembling a team has many traps most notably the egos of those skilled individuals. If you look at nothing but skill the team is going to be a conflicted disaster. In any profession that’s skill centred other qualities are important. Most notably the ability to instruct and mentor. Also important are empathy, communication and leadership. 

The truth is non of us knows anything about this guy beyond a stats sheet. All these are is ideas trying to understand why he was signed.

As a side note, many players improve and some become great due to the mentoring, guidance and association with other players. Teams that succeed usually have a bunch of unsung heroes that simply come to work and do the job asked of them. Any team in the league can spend big money on big name free agents but based on my experience that seldom creates a winning team. It’s those other guys that complete the team and add intangibles to the equation.

I'm not for a minute claiming he’s THAT GUY, simply providing a different opinion, to contrast some opinions, by others that don’t know claiming it’s a useless signing.

On 2019-06-21 at 6:04 PM, Rockcity2 said:

He must have a ton of knowledge...

Bc a blind cat could avg more than 30yds a game over his career and 17 tds 

And like you said they have Danny how many of these types do we need..

Just my opinion but this just isn't the way you build up your team. You build your youth... kinda how they do it in baseball.. you really don't know what you have even in preseason when you have back-up qbs throwing at them ...you gotta bite the dam bullet and give some of these guys a true chance.. not one or two plays here and there.. I mean shot this is exactly how the undrafted jk got a shot

All this culture talk is just bull... for the fans.. I mean what are you saying if we have 10 former Superbowl players on one year deals booom we are better...

This is an indictment on the coaching iyam.. 

But I'll chill and hope the roster is right before the season

Culture talk is not bull. It’s extremely important.

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

I don’t know that. 

How is that different than anything we discuss? 

A one year deal? Perhaps because they’re counting on player development. 

Obviously I’m not an NFL exec or past NFL player but I have years of experience building teams in a highly skilled profession.  Assembling a team has many traps most notably the egos of those skilled individuals. If you look at nothing but skill the team is going to be a conflicted disaster. In any profession that’s skill centred other qualities are important. Most notably the ability to instruct and mentor. Also important are empathy, communication and leadership. 

The truth is non of us knows anything about this guy beyond a stats sheet. All these are is ideas trying to understand why he was signed.

As a side note, many players improve and some become great due to the mentoring, guidance and association with other players. Teams that succeed usually have a bunch of unsung heroes that simply come to work and do the job asked of them. Any team in the league can spend big money on big name free agents but based on my experience that seldom creates a winning team. It’s those other guys that complete the team and add intangibles to the equation.

I'm not for a minute claiming he’s THAT GUY, simply providing a different opinion, to contrast some opinions, by others that don’t know claiming it’s a useless signing.

Mentoring and being mentored are extremely important for success in nearly every field. Pure talent/ability can only take someone so far. There are intricate nuances in any profession that are learned after years of experience and multiple mistakes. Being able to learn those lessons without the same amount of time and effort invested is huge. Getting up to speed as quickly as possible combined with talent = key to success. The mental part of the game can be as important as the physical part. There's a reason that a guy who is 5'10 and runs a 4.5 40 can be a top WR in the league when you'd assume a 6'5 guy should just dominate in every situation.

There is such a disconnect on the information that we get as opposed to connected guys like Matt Miller of BR or Daniel Jeremiah in the media and then there's even more of a disconnect from what the scouts have on file. There are relationships from working with previous teams in the front office, agents, former teammates, high school coaches, teachers, principals, neighbours, college coaches, trainers, professors, etc, etc. They're doing in person interviews and psych evals. None of us have been in the Lions locker room and seen what it is like after a win or a loss. We haven't seen what it's like in a practice when they're sitting below 0.500 and out of a playoff spot.

To DHLF's point, we don't know these guys and we truly don't know the pulse of the team. We see what happens on the field and what the media passes along. Kearse is a guy that can help and he is a guy that could also be cut in August.