Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GetDownandDirty

Lions sign a wide receiver

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

You have no clue if kearse is even that type of guy.....

Why help guys trying to take your job

That's a fair assessment, I don't. We also don't know that he isn't that kind of guy. If you are a veteran player, you know the scheme and you're confident in your abilities then I would think it would lead to you being more open to helping younger guys and trying to generate wins for the team. I'm not saying he's going to take guys aside and help them out with their route running or whatever. Just terminology and concepts as they're rolling out the Bevell offense. That's what a team guy would do in my books and that's what I am hoping for as a fan. However, you could be 100% right. We'll see what the media reports say over the next few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

That's a fair assessment, I don't. We also don't know that he isn't that kind of guy. If you are a veteran player, you know the scheme and you're confident in your abilities then I would think it would lead to you being more open to helping younger guys and trying to generate wins for the team. I'm not saying he's going to take guys aside and help them out with their route running or whatever. Just terminology and concepts as they're rolling out the Bevell offense. That's what a team guy would do in my books and that's what I am hoping for as a fan. However, you could be 100% right. We'll see what the media reports say over the next few weeks.

If he doesn't make the lions the way the lions are viewed might as well call his career over

So why spend the os helping anyone I get that it's the right thing to do and you might have something but on a one year deal I'm not buying it

Farve wasn't gonna tutor Rodgers to take his job.. it's not all roses man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-06-10 at 10:35 PM, Rockcity2 said:

If he doesn't make the lions the way the lions are viewed might as well call his career over

So why spend the os helping anyone I get that it's the right thing to do and you might have something but on a one year deal I'm not buying it

Farve wasn't gonna tutor Rodgers to take his job.. it's not all roses man

There is another angle. Veterans can mentor outside of their position group. Diet, training, how to be a pro are all valuable. I’m not saying he’s the guy as I don’t know much about him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 10:35 PM, Rockcity2 said:

If he doesn't make the lions the way the lions are viewed might as well call his career over

So why spend the os helping anyone I get that it's the right thing to do and you might have something but on a one year deal I'm not buying it

Farve wasn't gonna tutor Rodgers to take his job.. it's not all roses man

QB's are a bit of a different animal IMO. There are only 32 starting spots in the league. Most teams have 2-3 guys at the position - that's it. A WR room is going to have 5-6 without even factoring in PS. A QB is supposed to be a lot more internally driven where the competitive nature amongst a group helps push those guys to be better.

We don't know what his career plans are after he hangs it up. If he wanted to get into coaching, this is definitely a good way to start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

QB's are a bit of a different animal IMO. There are only 32 starting spots in the league. Most teams have 2-3 guys at the position - that's it. A WR room is going to have 5-6 without even factoring in PS. A QB is supposed to be a lot more internally driven where the competitive nature amongst a group helps push those guys to be better.

We don't know what his career plans are after he hangs it up. If he wanted to get into coaching, this is definitely a good way to start.

Thought you said if your confident in your ability...

And on top of it we are talking about a guy who's best season is 800yds and now struggling to find a team. I'm not that naive.. And hope I'm not the only one.. I mean he doesn't offer enough as a 4th string unless an early season injury happens. No st has little if anytime in the slot..

I really don't understand why you wouldn't give one of these other guys a shot... JK isn't worth it imo and we haven't even begun with possible cuts from other teams..

Annd JK's stats like his catch rate his drops.. Hugh one in the sb... what's so appealing.. sounds like we need some new coaching

For me going in and looking at the roster right now I have him 7th... I'm simply not wasting the time and especially money that we need to make 2 of our best players happy 

But I guess we need all the coaches we can get....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Thought you said if your confident in your ability...

And on top of it we are talking about a guy who's best season is 800yds and now struggling to find a team. I'm not that naive.. And hope I'm not the only one.. I mean he doesn't offer enough as a 4th string unless an early season injury happens. No st has little if anytime in the slot..

I really don't understand why you wouldn't give one of these other guys a shot... JK isn't worth it imo and we haven't even begun with possible cuts from other teams..

Annd JK's stats like his catch rate his drops.. Hugh one in the sb... what's so appealing.. sounds like we need some new coaching

For me going in and looking at the roster right now I have him 7th... I'm simply not wasting the time and especially money that we need to make 2 of our best players happy 

But I guess we need all the coaches we can get....

WR's and DB's are very confident (sometimes overly), tend to be vocal and showy. This works better in a group setting where every guy is trying to beat the other guy with the top guys challenging the others to try and beat him.

They aren't asking for him to be the top WR. He's a veteran guy that knows the offense and provides some depth. We haven't seen what he has looked like in workouts before signing and how he's really looked in mini-camp. There is value in having a guy that knows how to operate in the offense and what it is like to be a NFL pro. If he can work his way up the depth chart and beat out some of the younger guys, then we should have a stronger WR group. Especially with a scheme change.

This is a process and there is still a long way to go. We should all wait and see how this develops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 5:47 PM, diehardlionfan said:

There is another angle. Veterans can mentor outside of their position group. Diet, training, how to be a pro are all valuable. I’m not saying he’s the guy as I don’t know much about him. 

Oh holy god 

Please stop with this. I don't want to be a jerk in here, but you all are gonna make me start yelling, saying stuff like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Oh holy god 

Please stop with this. I don't want to be a jerk in here, but you all are gonna make me start yelling, saying stuff like this

Well go ahead and yell if it makes you feel better. Heck if it makes you feel better, yell all the time. You might get good at it.

In any organization, especially one whose product is based on skill, mentorship is not only important, it’s sought out. Culture is important, especially in an organization that has never had a history of success. 

At this stage of the off season, filling out a depth chart,  many attributes are considered. It’s not just about skill on the field. It’s about culture, dedication, commitment, personal accountability and setting an example. The Lions need accountability, leadership etc. In case you haven’t noticed the Lions aren’t a successful organization. 

So go ahead and yell. Louder now, I can’t hear you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×