Eagles extend Wentz through 2024 season

DeJack_10

50 minutes ago, Danger said:

I don't see what's wishful about it. It's likely that in the last 2-3 years of this deal Wentz will be making $28 Million AAV and the guys who are just signing extensions like Mayfield and Mahomes will be getting closer to an AAV of $40 million a season. Not to mention the cap is going to skyrocket between now and then.

I mean towards the End of this contract assuming he's not a bust, Haskins will be getting paid more. Now that's scary!

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:10 AM, Jroc04 said:
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:05 AM, Jroc04 said:

What’s all the issues with the money, injuries aside? Of course it’s a lot of money. It’s the most important position in sports. 

6 years 154M. 25.6 per. Good for about 8th most for QBs. Looks like a good deal to me. I hear the injury concern but assuming he’s healthy this is a home run for the Eagles FO. 

Posted in another thread but what’s the problem?

This is the most underrated part of the extension, when you average it out over the life of the contract he's making 25.6 million per a year.

I also read somewhere that ~$60 mil is paid out in the first year, if that's the case Wentz is only going to have about 40 mil guaranteed through the remainder of his contract. Protects us if for some reason he never shakes the injury bug.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

Overall great movie by Howie, first to sign means we don't have to worry about another QB resetting the market and our franchise QB gets paid and gets his long term contract.

I agree. There is always some GM who wants to over compensate by signing a middle of the road QB to some stupidly large contract. 

Go Birds

Master "The Haul" Cheddaar

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

This is the most underrated part of the extension, when you average it out over the life of the contract he's making 25.6 million per a year.

I also read somewhere that ~$60 mil is paid out in the first year, if that's the case Wentz is only going to have about 40 mil guaranteed through the remainder of his contract. Protects us if for some reason he never shakes the injury bug.

Exactly. The money we get to rollover this year (20M+)can be mostly used towards that contract. It’ll help immensely in a couple years when we’re trying to field a contender while paying a top end QB contract. Howie’s genius never ceases to amaze me. I tried to explain some of it in the Wentz extension thread in the news forum but posters just don’t get it. Howie is way too smart/calculated to not beat the NFL. It’s always the nerds who are ahead of the curve. The gov’t hires these computer hackers that get into all these high level security systems because they’re smarter than the machine and always will be. Some guys will always be ahead of the game. Whoever sets the contract rules in the NFL, Howie will always make his lady. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

What does "team option" imply? Is that a signing bonus or a roster bonus? Is his cap hit ~$40m for 2020?

It’s just a way to manipulate the proration of the bonuses. There’s a 5 year limit in prorating the bonuses on a contract. By “optioning” the contract in 2020, the FO can extend that time, keeping the 2019 and 2020 cap limits at a minimal. 

Carson Wentz contract details: Here’s how Howie Roseman knocked it out of the park (again) with Philadelphia Eagles QB’s deal

One of the more interesting aspects of this reported structure is the reduced cap hit in 2021, when the “extension” technically kicks in. Without knowing how the hit of the signing bonus will be stretched out, it looks like 2021 will be the smallest cap hit over the course of the contract.

Also: Outside of 2020, Wentz’s cap hit, as the contract is currently structured, won’t actually exceed $30 million, which is a boon for the Eagles’ cap sheet.

Plugged the numbers found in this article for cap numbers in OTC, Seems like some total money is missing somewhere? I'm not sure. I think it's the miscellaneous incentives. Either way. here's what the cap numbers look like in each season. No word on how guaranteed money is split, but we're not cutting him any time soon so who cares about those details right now.

WSjpfPQ.png

Started this post earlier before @Kiltman posted that twitter link, but this helps put things into perspective.

44 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

What does "team option" imply? Is that a signing bonus or a roster bonus? Is his cap hit ~$40m for 2020?

Yes, for 2020 alone, Carson will be eating a lot of our salary cap, but after that, we're pretty much golden.

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

Yes, for 2020 alone, Carson will be eating a lot of our salary cap, but after that, we're pretty much golden.

I think you’re mostly on but that 30M won’t be paid all in one shot. They’ll prorate it out through those remaining 5 years. Thus, the reason for the “option” one year later.