Josh Allen vs Sam Darnold, better sophomore strides?

Danger

Which QB improves more in their 2nd season?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB improves more in their 2nd season?

I would say Darnold has the 'better chance of improving in year 2' just because he has better coaching and supporting cast. 

That doesnt mean I think hes a superior player. Darnold turns the ball over waaaay too much to be considered anything except below average at this point (17 INTS and 5 fumbles) He has some terrible habits that were evident at USC. His footwork is sloppy and he takes a lot of unnecessary risks.  he turned the ball over 22 times!

At USC I believe he had close to 30 turnovers in 14 games. He had 13 INTs and I believe he had over 15 fumbles. 

Everyone was ready to crown him as the next big thing coming out of school. The niners needed a QB that year and I live in the Bay Area so I watched a lot of USC games that year. I saw some flashes but I really didnt think he was the second coming or anything like that. There is a reason that the Browns passed on him for baker, and the dirty little secret is that when the Jets made the trade with the colts to move up to #3, they thought they were trading for Baker Mayfield. 

• Like 1

I'll go with Darnold. Both were inconsistent but Darnold had higher highs. Allen had 6 games under a 70 rating to Darnold's three. All three of Darnold's were in the 30s so if he just eliminates those kinds of games he is going to look a lot better statistically. Both had 4 games with a rating between 70-90. Allen had 2 games above 90 and Darnold 5.

Allen won more and his legs were a huge reason why but I don't think he can really improve that part of his game.

I'll guess Allen ends 2019 with a 81.2 passer rating (13.3 improvement) and Darnold with a 91.2 (13.6 improvement).

Both have high ceilings, Darnold turns the ball over too much, Allen can’t throw an accurate ball in the flat. 

Darnold has Adam Gase as a coach who has already began his tenure with drama swirling, but also has better weapons than Allen.

Allen has a better coaching staff/front office IMO in terms of their vision for the team, culture, and ability to be a cohesive unit. He doesn’t have the weapons around him that Darnold does but he does have a VASTLY improved offensive line, and a few guys that can run a deep route.

Neither answer is wrong, and tbqh i hope both pan out well and we have a long rivalry. The division needs it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Both have high ceilings, Darnold turns the ball over too much, Allen can’t throw an accurate ball in the flat. 

Darnold has Adam Gase as a coach who has already began his tenure with drama swirling, but also has better weapons than Allen.

Allen has a better coaching staff/front office IMO in terms of their vision for the team, culture, and ability to be a cohesive unit. He doesn’t have the weapons around him that Darnold does but he does have a VASTLY improved offensive line, and a few guys that can run a deep route.

Neither answer is wrong, and tbqh i hope both pan out well and we have a long rivalry. The division needs it.

That drama went out the door when they landed a top GM candidate and got rid of a mediocre/bad GM who has a awful track record. The Jets front office is getting upgraded. Whether Adam Gase can prove that he can develop a QB and get this team winning, that is yet to be seen.