If NFL expands again, what cities are possibilities?

turtle28

I think Montreal would support an NFL team better than Toronto in terms of real fans and atmosphere.

But the league could charge whatever they wanted for box seats in Toronto and corporations will pay it just for the notoriety and then pass the tickets out to their employees. Much like the Leafs.

On 6/7/2019 at 11:04 AM, BayRaider said:

I doubt they would do San Diego. They didn’t want the Raiders to play one year at Qualcomm even though the Raiders and San Diego wanted it badly. However, they thought it would steal away from the Chargers and Rans narket. 

They'd have to have some absolute assurances from the city/county that a downtown stadium comparable to Petco Park would be built with minimal league contribution.  That's about the only was I can see them going back to San Diego.  A franchise there wouldn't be a threat to the Rams, but they (the owners) still appear to view Spanos as a loyal soldier and so they're not likely to throw him under the bus by undercutting his available marketshare.

I genuinely doubt Portland happens without Paul Allen signing off on it - strong of a support city as it is.

I think they'd have to look HARD at Oklahoma City.  The Jones clan may raise a stink (which they'll do for anything that infringes on the 1000+ mile radius they seem to view as "their territory," but you can't tell me that Oklahoma fans are terribly keen on rooting for a Texas team, all other factors considered.  Also, the hard impact it could considerably have on the Bills, I don't see how you can't think they'd make a push at Canada (particularly if they're remotely broaching the idea of international teams).  The NFL should feel no loyalties whatsoever to the CFL (the bigger question would be that you'd need a team there to be successful straight out the gate, in order to pull CFL fans away from the teams they've supported for years).  The taxation question marks are probably the biggest ones I can see.  And I kind of wonder if/why the NFL hasn't tried to push into Mobile or Birmingham?

9 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Is OKC a viable market? Don't know much about the city other than they're supporting the Thunder pretty well

Tulsa is very close by (60 mi) and both metro areas have a combined population over 2 million. Find some cheap big land between the cities.

48 minutes ago, The LBC said:

They'd have to have some absolute assurances from the city/county that a downtown stadium comparable to Petco Park would be built with minimal league contribution.  That's about the only was I can see them going back to San Diego.  A franchise there wouldn't be a threat to the Rams, but they (the owners) still appear to view Spanos as a loyal soldier and so they're not likely to throw him under the bus by undercutting his available marketshare.

I genuinely doubt Portland happens without Paul Allen signing off on it - strong of a support city as it is.

I think they'd have to look HARD at Oklahoma City.  The Jones clan may raise a stink (which they'll do for anything that infringes on the 1000+ mile radius they seem to view as "their territory," but you can't tell me that Oklahoma fans are terribly keen on rooting for a Texas team, all other factors considered.  Also, the hard impact it could considerably have on the Bills, I don't see how you can't think they'd make a push at Canada (particularly if they're remotely broaching the idea of international teams).  The NFL should feel no loyalties whatsoever to the CFL (the bigger question would be that you'd need a team there to be successful straight out the gate, in order to pull CFL fans away from the teams they've supported for years).  The taxation question marks are probably the biggest ones I can see.  And I kind of wonder if/why the NFL hasn't tried to push into Mobile or Birmingham?

Maybe they view it as being too close to Atlanta? Not sure.

I agree with OKC though. I think they'd be the most likely to get an expansion team, followed by Portland and Toronto.