The Run Game doesnt matter

Matts4313

This is such a interesting topic.  To my mind I think of it this way —

ultimately to consistently when in the NFL you better not make mistakes in the passing game.   No mistakes passing means you have a Efficient passing game.

Oddly I also would think to win you better be able to stop the other team from running.  I wonder what the other side looks like winning percentage based on how well you stop the run 

Thus I can agree with “running game doesn’t matter”. Only in the concept of if you are making a ton of mistakes with your passing game you are gonna loose even if you can run the ball well

As a side note I think the last time a team won the super bowl with the best back in football might be Denver then us    —-      I would also say the best QB in football (stats wise) also rarely wins as well 

this just tells me its more about having a balanced team with clutch players

Edited by quiller

16 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Again, if the running game was meaningless, teams wouldn’t use it. The data you’re advocating is clearly inaccurate. Every team in every professional sport continuously evaluates metric data. They have entire teams dedicated to evaluating statistical data. It’s part of their daily routine. It helps shape game plans, free agency and draft strategies, personnel selections, etc. So, to be so bold as to say that the running game “doesn’t matter” is absolute hogwash. 

I guarantee you that if teams avoided the use of the running game in favor of exclusively focusing on QB completions, team win totals will plummet, thus proving that there is a correlation between the running game and wins. 

Like I said, I want to know what the criteria is that’s being evaluated and how it is weighted against the other factors. If something is missing or incorrect, the data will be misleading and incorrect.

So why dont you click the links? I provided all of them.

And I think you are purposely misconstruing the word correlate. Go back to the original post. Its not bulk passing, its efficient passing. Which means running a bunch and throwing rarely but efficiently is a viable strategy. It doesnt matter how you get there, but as long as your ANY/A is higher than the other team, you have anywhere between a 70-90% chance of winning (depending on time frame you look at).

Its the *only* stat that has a strong correlation to winning. Not bulk passing, not anything to do with running, nothing else. 

Bradbury won the Rimington Trophy as the nation's top center and received first-team All-ACC and Associated Press All-American honors in 2018. The rookie's athletic profile projects as a perfect pivot with the ability to pull and get to the second level. That athletic ability at center meshes with the type of zone blocking scheme Kubiak prefers.

After the Vikings struggled to run the ball last season, Kubiak believes the line overhaul this offseason will get Minnesota back on track.

"We better be able to run it," Kubiak said. "Obviously we want to be physical and run the ball, and if we do that we'll have a chance to make some plays."

40 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Bradbury won the Rimington Trophy as the nation's top center and received first-team All-ACC and Associated Press All-American honors in 2018. The rookie's athletic profile projects as a perfect pivot with the ability to pull and get to the second level. That athletic ability at center meshes with the type of zone blocking scheme Kubiak prefers.

After the Vikings struggled to run the ball last season, Kubiak believes the line overhaul this offseason will get Minnesota back on track.

"We better be able to run it," Kubiak said. "Obviously we want to be physical and run the ball, and if we do that we'll have a chance to make some plays."

Show me the stats, proof, concrete evidence that the opinion is substantiated. 

21 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Show me the stats, proof, concrete evidence that the opinion is substantiated. 

I think the fact that Kubiak and other NFL coaches/GMs have made it in the football world as high up as they did, is enough to substantiate their opinions.

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I think the fact that Kubiak and other NFL coaches/GMs have made it in the football world as high up as they did, is enough to substantiate their opinions.

So did Matt Millen. 

And you are still ignoring the basic premise. You can have an efficient pass game and also run the ball alot. They arent mutually exclusive. 

18 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

So did Matt Millen. 

And you are still ignoring the basic premise. You can have an efficient pass game and also run the ball alot. They arent mutually exclusive. 

Passing efficiency is easier with a dominant run game.

If your RB is super man and your OL are some of the best run blockers in the league even a guy like Dak can look efficient.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

So did Matt Millen. 

After his playing career, Millen was President and chief executive officer of the Detroit Lions from 2001 until the 2008 NFL season. His eight-year tenure as head of the franchise led to the worst eight-year record in the history of the modern NFL (31-84, a .270 winning percentage),[4] and resulted in his termination on September 24, 2008. Millen assembled the personnel and coaching staff of the 2008 Lions, which became the first team to go 0-16. This was the sole worst single-season record in league history until it was tied by the 2017 Cleveland Browns. He is generally regarded among the worst general managers in the history of modern sports.

Lions rushing YPG from 2001-08

2001: 29th

2002: 29th

2003: 32nd

2004: 18th

2005: 26th

2006: 32nd

2007: 31st

2008: 30th

Maybeeee run the ball a little better. That might help

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Maybeeee run the ball a little better. That might help

However, the insignificance of rushing in the NFL might surprise you.

From 1997 through 2017, only 57.5% of playoff teams (145 of 252) had a positive team rush efficiency. The visual of rush efficiency for playoff teams shows a random scatter of points with both positive and negative values. A strong run game or stout rush defense has little effect in helping an NFL team win enough games to make the playoffs.