Are the 2009 Rams the Worst Team of the SB Era?

footbull3196

Are the 2009 Rams the worst Super Bowl era team of all time?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Are the 2009 Rams the worst Super Bowl era team of all time?

• Yes
    • No, it’s the 2008 Lions
    • No, it’s the 2017 Browns
    • No, it’s the 1989 Cowboys
    • No, it’s the 1990 Patriots
    • No, it’s the 1991 Colts
    • No, other (explain)

19 hours ago, bomont said:

Unless you actually remember that season and have enough of a clue to realize stats don't tell the whole story to put it mildly. They were competitive in many games that year.

I'm not sure who the worst was, assuming it's even possible for one team to stand out above the others, but the 76 Bucs have to be on the short list. Incredibly, laughably bad.

True, I forgot them when I made the thread.  They were an expansion team though so they get a bit of a pass compared to the other ones on this list

Kinda hard to say the Rams over two teams that went winless, but I remember that Rams team being very, very bad. Besides barely beating a terrible Lions team (the year after they went winless), they got destroyed in so many games that year if I'm remembering correctly. The Lions were bad too, but IIRC, they were at least somewhat competitive in their games. And the Browns went 0-16 simply due to totally inept coaching and atrocious QB play. If they had a QB/HC that were even just slightly below average and not one of the worst QB/HC combos ever, then I think they'd win at least one game.

13 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Kinda hard to say the Rams over two teams that went winless, but I remember that Rams team being very, very bad. Besides barely beating a terrible Lions team (the year after they went winless), they got destroyed in so many games that year if I'm remembering correctly. The Lions were bad too, but IIRC, they were at least somewhat competitive in their games. And the Browns went 0-16 simply due to totally inept coaching and atrocious QB play. If they had a QB/HC that were even just slightly below average and not one of the worst QB/HC combos ever, then I think they'd win at least one game.

I’ve seen a handful of teams worse than the 2017 Browns

Put Tyrod Taylor on the 2017 Browns and they probably go down as a 2-14 type team no one remembers 

• Like 2

If we keep Josh McCown we something and not 16. 

Hue was soooooo bad under pressure. Over reliance on Josh Gordon in '16 and '17. Doesnt know a legit qb to to a dud literally save himself. 

Sigh.

Spent $300 to get game pass for that turd of a season.

On 6/7/2019 at 10:57 PM, bomont said:

Unless you actually remember that season and have enough of a clue to realize stats don't tell the whole story to put it mildly. They were competitive in many games that year.

I'm not sure who the worst was, assuming it's even possible for one team to stand out above the others, but the 76 Bucs have to be on the short list. Incredibly, laughably bad.

That team was a trip. They lost 26 games in a row, 0-16 in '76 then 2-14 in '77. But in the blink of an eye the hapless Bucs got good and actually hosted the NFC Championship game in Tampa to finish the '79 season. 

Average point differential:

2009 Rams: -17

2008 Lions: -16

2017 Browns: -11

Number of losses by 3 or more possessions:

2009 Rams: 8

2008 Lions: 7

2017 Browns: 4

Divisional Strength

2009 Rams: Won by 10-6 Cardinals

2008 Lions: Won by 10-6 Vikings

2017 Browns: Won by 13-3 Steelers

Clearly, the 2017 Browns were an unlucky team. A very bad team in a very tough AFC North. The other teams were simply putrid. 

Edited by Nightime

I don't care about point differential and all that jazz, you are what you're record says. The 2008 Lions and 2017 Browns failed to win a single game. The 2017 Browns couldn't even beat the Steelers backups.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Elky said:

I don't care about point differential and all that jazz, you are what you're record says. The 2008 Lions and 2017 Browns failed to win a single game. The 2017 Browns couldn't even beat the Steelers backups.

That was one of the ugliest games I can remember - and I've seen my fair share as a Browns fan.