Texans fire GM Brian Gaine

RaidersAreOne

I kinda like this firing. Gaines had a rebuilding mentality and appeared to me as the type of guy who always plays it safe. Nothing about his tenure really stood out to be honest. He was just rather ho hum

Edited by Jaytrajik
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Jaytrajik said:

I kinda like this firing. Gaines had a rebuilding mentality and appeared to me as the type of guy who always plays it safe. Nothing about his tenure really stood out to be honest. He was just rather ho hum

I agree. He seems to bland and boring and obviously something was off about the guy. He interviewed for like 5 other GM positions throughout the years and never got one and he wouldn’t wasn’t even a top 3 choice for the Texans one it seemed and basically was just given to after all the other options ran out. 

Texans have 40 mil available in cap space still, and yes some of that will need to be used in Deshaun’s next contract, but there were a lot of moves that could have been made to improve the team that just weren’t done and it seems like Cal won’t stand for the status quo like his father.

2 hours ago, Marco79 said:

I agree. He seems to bland and boring and obviously something was off about the guy. He interviewed for like 5 other GM positions throughout the years and never got one and he wouldn’t wasn’t even a top 3 choice for the Texans one it seemed and basically was just given to after all the other options ran out. 

Texans have 40 mil available in cap space still, and yes some of that will need to be used in Deshaun’s next contract, but there were a lot of moves that could have been made to improve the team that just weren’t done and it seems like Cal won’t stand for the status quo like his father.

Yet BOB has his full backing.....

On 6/7/2019 at 9:14 PM, Jaytrajik said:

I think this played a big roll in it. Cal's been waiting in the wings long enough watching how his dad operated. He know's time is ticking before we have to pay DW. All the moves Gaine has made have been for the long term, which isn't a terrible thing, but hopefully now there's an urgency to win. 

That being said, there's no way we fired Gaine if we didn't have a guy in mind/lined up to take over the position. The Ray Farmer interview was just getting the Rooney Rule out of the way which also makes me think there's a move coming soon. 

Also, I think this is a little bit of a warning shot to BOB. At least I hope. 

On 6/8/2019 at 9:01 AM, ET80 said:

This is just... petrifying. 

i really just dont get like... what more Power does OB have now compared to previously?? this isnt game of thrones? 

So for those wondering if Pats could block again.

The relevant league policy requires that, in order to hire an executive under contract with another team, the new team must offer “
the primary authority over all personnel decisions related to the signing of free agents, the selection of players in the College Draft, trades, and related decisions; and . . . the primary responsibility for coordinating other football activities with the head coach.”

Although “[f]inal authority regarding the composition of the 53-player roster is not a requirement,” the job nevertheless must convey primary authority to the G.M. If it doesn’t, request for permission to interview an executive under contract with another team can be denied.

The final analysis entails a delicate balance of the power the team is willing to give to the G.M., along with the power contractually reserved to the head coach. If coach Bill O’Brien already has the kind of authority that otherwise would go to a strong G.M., the G.M. job in Houston essentially becomes “G.M. Light,” lacking the kind of power that would allow the Texans to pry Caserio away from the Patriots.

Guess we will find out what kind of power OB has shortly.

One of the guys on 610 is calling this a power play by Jack Easterby, and the timeline kind of makes sense:

On Thursday, the Patriots had their ring ceremony - as a member of the Pats last season, Easterby was there. It's being reported he was with Nick Caserio for the majority of the event, chatting him up. The very next day, Gaine is fired, and it's also being reported that Easterby will have "a significant voice" in the search for a new GM.

Did Easterby get a verbal commitment that Caserio would take the job if it opened up, thereby setting the wheels in motion for everything going down now?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

One of the guys on 610 is calling this a power play by Jack Easterby, and the timeline kind of makes sense:

On Thursday, the Patriots had their ring ceremony - as a member of the Pats last season, Easterby was there. It's being reported he was with Nick Caserio for the majority of the event, chatting him up. The very next day, Gaine is fired, and it's also being reported that Easterby will have "a significant voice" in the search for a new GM.

Did Easterby get a verbal commitment that Caserio would take the job if it opened up, thereby setting the wheels in motion for everything going down now?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/10/houston-texans-brian-gaine-nick-caserio-cam-newton-panthers-joe-douglas-jets?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

From my lips to real life...

@Apollo Stallion - I know you have a very good take on this.

reading about this on reddit, looking at what happened to the Chiefs recently, if they rule in NE's favor, it could cost us picks but it shouldnt keep him from signing with us as a GM if he wanted to

but still 
tenor.gif?itemid=10628073

• Like 1